Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,283,473 times

Advertisements

Stop it!! You're killing me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,349,217 times
Next time you go, drink a couple of cans of Red Bull or Monster drink and you won't be able to stop talking.
After that event ends, they'll either love you or won't invite you any more gatherings in the future.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM

191 posts, read 212,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I think one of the most painful things a person can do is sit with a group of people you have very little in common with and make small talk for hours. I see these large gatherings all the time. Groups of people who are sitting together who are struggling to make conversation with the people who are sitting next to them. To keep the conversation going they end up saying stupid things and feel ill at ease during long awkward pauses in the conversation.

They can't escape because of family obligations.

Is this painful to anyone else?
Yes, I find this painful. Therefore I am choosy about attending family events and don't go to every single planned event.

Lately I've had to endure my in-laws a lot more than the average. My MIL and SIL talk/gossip about the other behind each other's backs, when one leaves the room or whatever. This is the last week of my prison sentence of being chained to my in-laws as its slowing down to work release. By the end of the summer I hope to be on parole. I'm at the point of wanting to make it clear to each of them that they're gossiping about one another. I just don't want anything to interfere with my 'good behavior time' so I might be able to negotiate an early release from this nonsense.

By the 4th of July I plan to be in my hammock reading a book, far away from any family event.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
Is this painful to anyone else?
No, and I actually am an introvert.

What's painful to me is having to be in a gathering of complete strangers. With family, however remote, it's easy. You just ask them questions ("Hey, I haven't seen you since Aunt Maude's 100th birthday party. What have you been up to?")

Everybody loves talking about themselves. As long as you put the spotlight on them, they'll perform.

Just don't expect them to be interested in you and you won't be disappointed. But this is about getting through the event, not necessarily enjoying it.

So, as long as we're here, what's up with your 600 lb hideously disfigured reclusive sister? Still locked in your guest bedroom?

Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM

45,489 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, and I actually am an introvert.

What's painful to me is having to be in a gathering of complete strangers. With family, however remote, it's easy. You just ask them questions ("Hey, I haven't seen you since Aunt Maude's 100th birthday party. What have you been up to?")

Everybody loves talking about themselves. As long as you put the spotlight on them, they'll perform.

Just don't expect them to be interested in you and you won't be disappointed. But this is about getting through the event, not necessarily enjoying it.

So, as long as we're here, what's up with your 600 lb hideously disfigured reclusive sister? Still locked in your guest bedroom?
Aunt Maude died last year. Damn you, pulling off that scab.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
They can't escape because of family obligations.
Is your sister going, too?

If yes, just drive home without her and lock the doors. Another relative will then be responsible for her.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,681,990 times
Just make up somewhere else you need to be, pop in just for an hour or so then get the heck out of there! Thats what I do.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Aunt Maude died last year. Damn you, pulling off that scab.
There, there. It was just her time.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:00 PM

45,489 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There, there. It was just her time.

Oh, ok. She did look so good, though.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:15 PM

983 posts, read 1,057,189 times
Tell them that you have other plans that day and can't make it. After all, you can easily have other plans - plans to relax with a book, plans to clean the bathroom. You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you aren't at an event. Give them your regrets, pass along your greetings and wishes for a great time. Then enjoy your day.

Or as someone else said - if you feel like you "should" make an appearance, then do so. When you get there, tell them that you have to leave at "x" time because you have other plans after that (no need to specify what those plans are). When "x" time arrives, politely make your departure.

I really don't see the point of attending family events where no one is polite/gets along. They may be biological family, but they often aren't your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships