Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:11 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I must be getting old as I didnt understand a word of that
Yes you are very old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 05:15 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I do wonder though where some people get the money from because they don't actually have a high powered job or live in a big house.
And maybe that is why they have the time and money to do it.
I don't care about a big fancy house, I am happy with my small house. I love getting away.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:19 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We used to take a couple of nice vacations every year, but now we can't afford it. I am glad we did it when we could, but I feel sort of like, "been there, done that." I'm more of a homebody.
We have one set of retired friends who do nothing but travel, all the time, and I'm a LITTLE jealous of them because they go places like New Zealand, or Africa, and I'll never go to those places.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
No.

I travel every other month or so. Day trips, weekend trips, domestic and Internationally.

I would find it exhausting to do it more than that.

As for how people afford it---we all spend our cash differently. I don't care about fancy purses, shoes or clothes. I have nice clothes, but I don't need a closet stuffed. I don't go to restaurants, I don't go to the Bar. I don't need a fancy big car. We all generally spend the same amount of money--we just all spend it differently.

I think it is all about how the Traveler presents themselves. My friends love seeing my photographs on fb. They are always asking me about my trips and asking where I am going next.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Hi OP,
I don't spend my time worrying about what other people are doing in their lives, it's good they can get away like that, it's the same when I see a kid driving an SS Camaro or a smoked out Dodge Interceptor or a 500 Boss Mustang, hey they worked for it, right? what I concentrate on is what I already have, a beautiful home, a beautiful wife, two fantastic kids who both college educated from great schools with smoking careers going on, I have my guys at the Fire House, I'm getting ready to retire with a pension / 401 at a pretty young age, the way I see it, I'm doing Aces, in the future my wife and I are going to have a whole lot fun, God willing.

We Soldier on but load is getting lighter, lol.

Thanks,
Knight

Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
Yes, sometimes I feel jealous, and I am left scratching my head. I find that friends who seem to have no money will go on lots of trips. This is why they have no money...they come into a little extra cash and decide to go spend it. I do know other people who have the money and go on tons of trips and sure I envy them (I don't envy the ones who are irresponsible with money). We do try to do one big trip every year or every other year (within the US usually though) and then maybe get away for a weekend trip here or there. This year we decided to do a 'staycation' instead and do day trips. Now that I think of it, I think I only really envy people when they're posting pics of themselves on the beach & it's winter here.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Hey guess where I am? Im in Fiji! having a great time and then when i get back its an Alaskan Cruise. That will get me just relaxed enough because here in a month im taking a trip around the world!. Sorry you have to work all the time and cant ever get any time off but hey what do i care im having a blast! ta-ta!

Now, tell me you dont wish you could come through the monitor and choke the life out of someone saying crap like that seemingly every time you turn around (or at least tell them to put a lid on it)
If that is what you feel your "friends" are doing when they post, you must not think very much of them. I have a FB friend who seems to live a charmed life. She has successful kids, a close family, beautiful home, job she loves and always seems to be jetting off somewhere. It makes me smile to read her posts. I have wondered how she does it but I am truly thinking "good for her - how cool that she is able to do this!" She grew up in very humble circumstances and is a very fun and sweet person. So...good for her. I look forward to seeing pics of her adventures.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
I just don't know how they do it, unless they negotiate this at hiring time.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:11 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I just don't know how they do it, unless they negotiate this at hiring time.
Right - I get three weeks vacation annually and can run a deficit of up to five days if need be, but she's been gone for two weeks now. It must be nice to be able to take trips of a lifetime and apparently not have to worry about working!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
You should be caring more about what they're doing (or don't) than how they can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships