Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
My wife knows little about Dave. All she knows is Dave is a business executive and has worked in sales and marketing and is constantly in environments that require he make small talk to strangers. He CAN make conversation, but not to me.

Basically he is being a bully toward you. He has the "girls" wrapped around his finger, and he's not going to let you in. If you confront him, he'll deny it and manipulate it so that you come off as the one at fault. What this type of person hates most is to be ignored. They enjoy power and feeling superior. Don't in any way give away your power to him. Laugh to yourself at his behavior and show self confidence. Ignore him and just don't respond in any way; no snide remarks or effort to befriend him. Don't ever let it show that he is affecting you, because that's what he wants and then he "wins" in his mind. He wants you to feel and look like a weakling; don't play into his manipulations or expect him to be normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:03 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I wouldn't go since its all women and the man is a "grunter", and you dont have to either, especially if it isn't a special event. I learned that the hard way

I sit some of my partners family gatherings out, as they are constant, and sometimes I just cant stand them. Nice people, but overwhelming, and to the point where I feel like i just seen them, and would rather time time alone.

PS: also, your "dragged" there???

dont go. simple, as an adult man, you dont have to.
it took me a while to be like this, but im glad.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM

62 posts, read 123,683 times
He should not be allowed to be a bully and someone needs to put him in his place. I think I am going to make a scene next time. It could not get any worse. (I asked my wife if that would be Ok and she said yes, and thought it would be really interesting.

If I were going to make a scene what is the best approach?

Make fun of his grunts and silence in front of everyone

Ask in point blank in front of everyone why he won't talk

Demand in uncertain terms that he be more polite

Talk about him in front of the women like he is not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Basically he is being a bully toward you. He has the "girls" wrapped around his finger, and he's not going to let you in. If you confront him, he'll deny it and manipulate it so that you come off as the one at fault. What this type of person hates most is to be ignored. They enjoy power and feeling superior. Don't in any way give away your power to him. Laugh to yourself at his behavior and show self confidence. Ignore him and just don't respond in any way; no snide remarks or effort to befriend him. Don't ever let it show that he is affecting you, because that's what he wants and then he "wins" in his mind. He wants you to feel and look like a weakling; don't play into his manipulations or expect him to be normal.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,428 times
I don't think you should have that 'chat' with Dave. As you're the newcomer to the family, I do think he is behaving rudely. He's socially obliged to be a nice host to you and make you feel comfortable and he seems to be unwilling to do that. If I were you I'd lessen the visits, refuse to tag along to so many of them, and I'd be the one inviting THEM over, so he is out of his territory and then you can be the gracious host and show him how it's done.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
Quote:
He should not be allowed to be a bully and someone needs to put him in his place. I think I am going to make a scene next time...
So, after all the advice to remove yourself from the situation and keep the peace, you're going to stir the pot and create drama.

May you find it.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
He should not be allowed to be a bully and someone needs to put him in his place. I think I am going to make a scene next time. It could not get any worse. (I asked my wife if that would be Ok and she said yes, and thought it would be really interesting.

Sounds like you're willing to stoop to his level and act like a high school. Take the high ground and just ignore him. You certainly won't gain any friends in your wife's family by doing this.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,723 times
Quote:

HardLuck... I'd do as others have suggested. If you're not going to talk to him like an adult (from my first reply) then do NOT stoop to his level. You'll be the one that others will see as being in the wrong.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
stay home !!!!!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,165 times
Quote:
If you were in Dave's shoe's and had decided that you had nothing in common with me and did not enjoy my company but I came to you and asked for your friendship for family harmony, how would you reply?
That would be weird and awkward so don't do that.

He may have other issues going on that make him standoffish. Maybe his job sucks. Maybe he found out his son is meth addict. The point is, you don't know why he's grumpy so don't go jumping to conclusions about his feelings toward you.

Maybe that's just the way he is so just leave him be and don't force the issue.I keep my mouth shut around all of my wifes family and it usually works out well. If you're bored at these functions then bring a crossword puzzle book or an ipad.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,165 times
Quote:
According to my wife the other sisters and her mother have observed the interpersonal dynamics between Dave and myself and think less of me because Dave has not accepted me into the family. Something is strange about the rules of interpersonal dynamics where the unfriendly aloof person gets credibility and status. Dave does not need to talk to me, I appear needy trying to butter up Dave.
Why do you even worry about that crap?? Who gives a shizzle what they think of you and who are they to pass judgment anyway. Just be your own man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Chances are "Dave" wishes he wasn't there, either.
I was going to say exactly the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships