Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
ok dude, you have your own bedroom and a roof over your head. Be grateful.

you are not "lord of the manor" and these people let you move in when you were in need of a place to live. They sound compassionate to a fault, so much so that they even checked with you before they took in their brother's dog. So, i wouldn't be surprised if they take in other homeless individuals - human or animal.

What you need to do is try to save money to move out to get your own place. Do not complain to these people about the dogs. Try to stay in your room if they annoy you.

I'd be really good to these people. They have been really good to you.

they only way you will be able to decide how many, or what type, it any, pets you have is to get your own place.

Until then, save money and try taking the dogs for walks - individually. Exercised dogs are generally less annoying.

And, get a second job. You will be gone more.
all of this!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 02:29 PM

404 posts, read 385,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
To me keeping a large aggressive dog is almost like having a lion or a bear as a pet.
It's best you get your own place. Even if you have to work 2 jobs.

I totally agree with you on the aggressive dogs. A pitbull was running loose in our neighborhood. I would not want to walk my little dog and come across a pitbull....or any dog big and strong enough to kill me or my dog.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times
Maybe you're just not likeable. Dogs can sense when people don't like them and act accordingly. Im a dog lover so I can't relate. Sorry.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:01 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
No offense, OP, but I don't think you "narrowly missed being brutally attacked" by those numerous roaming pitbulls. If they were looking to brutally attack you, sweet talk and "briskly" walking away would not stop them. Just because they were pit-type dogs and came toward you doesn't mean they were in attack mode.

That being said, why don't you look for other roommates, move into another place. Surely you could find other friends who would share a place with you.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,090 times
OP said...
"I think my roommates realize I'm uncomfortable living with two dogs in a relatively small space, but I don't have the heart to advise them to get rid of them either. Even if I don't like the dogs, I care about them enough not to make them have to leave. And I can't afford to move out and get a studio or one bedroom right now. "

You said you would be homeless if not for the kindness of your friends. Think about this... Perhaps you would feel more comfortable living in an alleyway where raccoons, stray dogs (possibly rabies infected), rats were your bedmates, as well as some addicts you would pass while they are digging through trashcans for their next meal and possibly trying to "annoy" you for money for their next fix.
Really, you sound a bit spoiled and filled with expectations of how "unfair" the dogs are treating you. They are dogs. And the part where you said you don't have the heart to advise your friends to get rid of them and that you care enough not to MAKE them have to leave... Really? That cracked me up. Unless you are paying your fair share (which maybe you are, and I overlooked it) toward rent and other expenses how can you possibly think you have that much control and power over this situation. Whatever the case, if it bothers you that much, YOU need to figure out what to do to make more money to be able to move and live in a dog-free environment. Until then, maybe look up online how to understand and possibly train these fellas (the dogs not the roommates) how to behave.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Literally, I can walk past mine and eat a steak with all the dogs I've had....trick...
teach them they get some ''over there'''...and no place else...sitting first.
I point, they automatically go ''over there'' and wait....took 3 treats to teach them...
never fails.
Dogs are like men, very easy to please and train.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:57 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
I recently (April) moved into a duplex with two good friends, and they had one dog, which I was fine with. He's very laid-back and not annoying.

Thing is, last month when I was on vacation my roommate texted me and asked if it was OK if we took in her brother's dog who he can't take care of anymore. Being they let me live here and the dog has nowhere else to go, I was unhappy about this but reluctantly said yes because I felt like I didn't have a choice in the manner and I owed them for it since if they didn't let me live with them I'd be homeless.

But the two dogs together are so annoying! They always beg for my food, they take up all the space in the living room, and they are loud! I don't feel totally comfortable in my own home anymore. I don't go in the living room at all unless they are outside or I need to make a meal. They've been ripping up the whole house aside from my room, which I don't allow them in.

Honestly I'm just starting to strongly dislike dogs in general. In the past 5 months I've been nearly attacked by unattended pitbulls (why are they so popular?) twice, just narrowly escaping a brutal mauling each time by sweet-talking them and briskly walking away.

I don't hate dogs per se, I more hate how popular and unavoidable they are. I think there are individual dogs that make good pets and aren't annoying, but most of them are annoying if not downright scary. To me keeping a large aggressive dog is almost like having a lion or a bear as a pet.

I prefer cats because even if they can be mean and aggressive, at least they can't kill you! Plus purring and meowing are way better than barking and growling.

I think my roommates realize I'm uncomfortable living with two dogs in a relatively small space, but I don't have the heart to advise them to get rid of them either. Even if I don't like the dogs, I care about them enough not to make them have to leave. And I can't afford to move out and get a studio or one bedroom right now.

What do you think I should do?
Congrats on one of the most ridiculous posts in C-D history.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I recently (April) moved into a duplex with two good friends, and they had one dog, which I was fine with. He's very laid-back and not annoying.

Thing is, last month when I was on vacation my roommate texted me and asked if it was OK if we took in her brother's dog who he can't take care of anymore. Being they let me live here and the dog has nowhere else to go, I was unhappy about this but reluctantly said yes because I felt like I didn't have a choice in the manner and I owed them for it since if they didn't let me live with them I'd be homeless.

But the two dogs together are so annoying! They always beg for my food, they take up all the space in the living room, and they are loud! I don't feel totally comfortable in my own home anymore. I don't go in the living room at all unless they are outside or I need to make a meal. They've been ripping up the whole house aside from my room, which I don't allow them in.

Honestly I'm just starting to strongly dislike dogs in general. In the past 5 months I've been nearly attacked by unattended pitbulls (why are they so popular?) twice, just narrowly escaping a brutal mauling each time by sweet-talking them and briskly walking away.

I don't hate dogs per se, I more hate how popular and unavoidable they are. I think there are individual dogs that make good pets and aren't annoying, but most of them are annoying if not downright scary. To me keeping a large aggressive dog is almost like having a lion or a bear as a pet.

I prefer cats because even if they can be mean and aggressive, at least they can't kill you! Plus purring and meowing are way better than barking and growling.

I think my roommates realize I'm uncomfortable living with two dogs in a relatively small space, but I don't have the heart to advise them to get rid of them either. Even if I don't like the dogs, I care about them enough not to make them have to leave. And I can't afford to move out and get a studio or one bedroom right now.

What do you think I should do?
Ask your roommates why they have not trained the dogs to behave.
Start teaching them when they beg you for food, to go lay down.
Find a new place to live.

PS ~~ I do not know any dogs that one can "sweet talk" and walk briskly away from and not get attacked if those dogs were in attack mode.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Really. It's a small price to pay to not be homeless.

Dogs are not your problem. You may live in a small space with two dogs. But, hey - you do not get to choose that. I don't want to see you become homeless. So I would suck it up.

The same compassion that gave you a place to live is giving these dogs a place to live.

I know you are paying rent - but I know of people who would not want people-no matter how much they pay to enter their household.

Just make a plan to move within a year. The second job may be key - both financially and for your own sanity.

Again, rather than distance yourself from their dogs - take them for long walks. It will also get you out of the house.

If you act afraid of dogs - you will send out those vibes - and attract dogs who know that you hate and fear them.

Not my intention to put you down, but I do trust dogs when it comes to matters of character.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:29 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
She asked, and you could have said no. But you didn't, for whatever reason.

Your mouth says yes - how are they supposed to know you mind is saying no?
It's not really like I had much of a choice. I'd be a huge a-hole if I said no, and it would likely strain my relationship with my roommates/friends. I'm not going to let a dog be homeless, unless he's threatening my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships