Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM

715 posts, read 791,759 times

Advertisements

on facebook - been unfriended by people.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM

917 posts, read 1,384,584 times
All the time! Especially during football season lol

Old 03-16-2015, 05:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
I was "unfriended" in real life and never found out why.

My best friend in college and I spent a lot of time together, were in each other's wedding parties and visited each other several times when we lived in different states. This went on for about fifteen years. Then she called and said that she, and her preschool daughter, wanted to visit for a specific week one summer. She called only two or three weeks in advance. Normally, it would not have been a problem but we were almost finished building a house & moving out of our old place right in the middle of her proposed visit.

I politely explained that we were moving and suggested that she visit another time. She basically hung up on me and never spoke to me again, ever. Never answered my phone calls or letters, never explained why she "cut me off", nothing.

The only thing that I could figure out was that there must of been some special reason why she had to visit me that week, but she never explained that to me.

Occasionally, I still wonder about it (such as when I look at photographs from my wedding). How can you be best friends for 15 years and suddenly not speak to the other person again, without even telling them why?

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-16-2015 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 PM

179 posts, read 149,731 times
Of course. The idea of BFF is or even friends forever is pretty immature. While it might happen for some people, it doesn't happen for all.

People mature and/or evolve, as do interests that may have made them friends in the first place. Highschool friends go their separate ways and move on; people get married, have kids, different priorities.

It happens and is a natural thing.

I think some people worry too much about number of FL friends rather than quality of friends.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Yes. The one that bothered me the most was a close friend who just suddenly stopped calling, then left me out of a couple major events in her life. I found out later it was over something stupid. I'm better off without her. I just wish I'd figured that out before I had her in my wedding.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times
yes, i've been unfriended on facebook. it was after I posted my "liberal" view on something. It hurt me to be unfriended. Took a while to get over it. But then I forgot about it. I'm not on Facebook anymore.

Yes, I've also been unfriended in real life as well. That hurts too. I think what someone else said that BFF's and lifelong friends may happen for some people, but not all. Certainly not me.

I go through periods of having a few friends to not having anyone that I would really call close. I have mostly aquaintences now. Nobody that I can call anytime to talk about things.

So, to answer your question. Yes to both FB and real life. It happens. Let people go and move on. If they don't want to be in your life, then you are better off without them.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,164 times
Yes so many times that I don't even want friends anymore.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,832 times
I blocked my MIL, and of course, she blocked me back

Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
On FB, yes. It's funny because I only find out when I see people tagged in pictures that I was knew I was friends with at one point and thought I still was. When I go to check on who was tagged, the little box pops up with the person's name and indicates whether they are still your friends. People have unfriended me (including this person) because they don't like my politics. The funny thing is that I'm always respectful and constructive with my postings, but that is still too much for some :shrug: I'd lie if I stated that it didn't disappoint me at all (after all, some of these people are individuals that I thought I was cool with, and their unfriending me is a major indication that they don't care about knowing about what I am doing in life, etc.). Still, its not something that I dwell on at all.

The only people I've unfriended/blocked myself were two classmates from college who just had the nastiest attitudes with me over foolishness; I didn't want to be bothered with them and what they were/are up to in life doesn't interest me.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 AM

412 posts, read 546,017 times
I'm not on Facebook anymore, but back in high school some girl unfriended me. I don't officially know why, but I can probably guess why. She was really rude to some of my friends and I wasn't having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships