Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 11:10 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Hey all,

I wanted to post this because I've always struggled a bit coping with this. I feel very envious at times and wish some members of my family would help me financially so I can live the similarly comfortable life them and their children (my cousins) have had. Though, it's not right for me to expect that and I have never outright asked for help because I feel bad to do so. Still, I can't help but wish I could just get a taste of their lifestyle.

DISCLAIMER before I continue: I am not some deadbeat who lives in debt and can't handle my finances. I have excellent credit and very little debt. My issue is I grew up with very wealthy family members but my own mom and dad were the black sheep of the family and lower middle class (barely). I always had less opportunities than those around me (my many cousins), and because my mom and dad lived check to check, things like going to a good college or pursuing opportunities were often out of reach. Most important, when I moved out, I was truly on my own with no safety net of wealthy parents. My cousins had their parent's bank accounts whenever they needed it. This is a thread about coping with this type of situation. Moving on.

I come from a large family who are all generally very wealthy and financially well off. My grandfather was a very successful dentist (had his own practice earning a very high income and made millions more off good investments). His four children were all ushered into good colleges. Three all went into very high paying careers and/or married someone with a very good business or career. These three families all earned 250-300k income per year (two of them single income!!!), and they had much more saved due to how much they were able to invest from that. They also had 4 children each and now each of their children (my cousins) have been set up to be wealthy thanks to the graces of their parents. Then you have my dad and mom.

My dad wanted to be a musician but my grandfather pushed him out of it into medicine, which he dropped out of after 3 years in to become a salesman. My mom (as much as I love her) was only ever a stay at home mom/wife. We were the black sheep of the family. This was worsened by my father making very poor financial choices and even with my grandfather loaning him hundreds of thousands of dollars, my father would squander it away. I'll say I didn't have a terrible life growing up, but we were very much so lower middle class and it was tough when all my cousins and aunts and uncles were living the lives of the rich and famous. (Country clubs, elaborate vacations, huge homes, yachts, private schools for their kids, etc etc) When I was 20, my parents divorced, and now my mom lives off government assistance and my dad also has tons of debt, a low paying job, and he developed an unfortunate liking to drugs and alcohol. My grandfather has pretty much cut him off and refused to help financially anymore.

And here I am, caught up in all the middle of this. As I said earlier, I'm not a deadbeat following in the footsteps of my dad. I did well in school and have a college degree. I've worked since I was 16 and have been in professional jobs since I was 23. Unfortunately though, I've had a lot of layoffs in my twenties and watched my big savings diminish while I looked for new work. I'm 28 now and my finances have been like a rubberband. Thankfully never dipping into the red, but I would save up 30k over a year or so, but find myself having to use it the next year because I was out of a job and in a higher cost of living situation. (or had to relocate, medical bill, car repair, etc) Enough on that though. The problem I'm having is coping with being the poor family members when all my other family are wealthy.

I literally have no safety net. My parents are divorced and it sucks to not have a home to go to in case I needed it. I'm watching my cousins (a little younger than me) being bought cars, EVEN HOMES by their parents, having their full college bills paid in full, getting into good careers thanks to their parent's recognition in our area and connections, being able to take any risk they can dream of because they have a huge cash reserve to back that up. Meanwhile I have a car I paid for in full with monthly payments, I have college loan payments I'll be paying off for awhile, I've been desperately trying to save up a down payment for a SMALL starter home so my wife and I can finally have our own place. It's been a struggle for me to find work. My wife and I want children so badly too, but don't feel secure enough financially to do so.... Life is still moving on though, time is not slowing down.

The point is. How can I cope with being the "one that has to struggle" when all my other family members are (and have always been) financially independent. They never had to worry about paying rent, being homeless, or getting food for the week. They never struggled to find a job, never realized they couldn't afford what they needed to get ahead. It just really hurts me sometimes to have grown up in a situation like this, and I feel wrong and selfish to make this post, but hey I'm human and the way I feel is the way I feel. Some people might just say ask them for money, but I know already my aunts and uncles would not contribute, and my grandfather might, but I feel guilty to ask him after all the money he gave to my dad that was wasted. I don't want to have to beg... but at the same time I can not exclaim how happy I would if someone from my family said, hey, you want to buy a home for you and your wife, here's 150k, go buy it. I would probably die from happiness and gratitude. It would be such a relief to me. Everyday in my twenties has been a worry to know confidently that food and shelter could be afforded, because even when times were going well for me, I knew that unemployment or unexpected financial burdens could occur. It would be so nice for once to not have that worry. To finally have some positive net worth and equity to feel secure on.

What do people think my best course of action is in this situation? I'm always trying to improve my situation but it's just such a slow process. I'm currently getting my master's degree and learning some new skills on the side as well. It would just be so nice for a little extra help right now to get my and my wife started a solid foundation!

P.S. Sorry if this sounds whiny.... I know it can be much worse, trust me I know. But like I said earlier, The situation is what it is and I feel how I do.

Keep doing what you're doing. My brother's wife came into millions when her grandmother died. So what? That's none of my business. I've got a friend who inherited millions at the age of 40.
Again what does it have to do with me?

Stop worrying about what others have and/or what might have been... and get on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 11:11 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO it's the O.P. that is measuring themselves....AND comparing to family.....by writing the post in the 1st place. When you get obssessed about other ppls money IMO.....that's what makes ppl unhappy.

Long before their death bed....ppl should stop caring what cars other ppl have....IMO.

Exactly.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:08 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Keep doing what you're doing. My brother's wife came into millions when her grandmother died. So what? That's none of my business. I've got a friend who inherited millions at the age of 40.
Again what does it have to do with me?

Stop worrying about what others have and/or what might have been... and get on with your life.

Very good mentality to have!

I know (because fiance's told me) if some family member of mine came into millions, my fiance's narcissistic, money-hungry, materialistic, attention-starving, entitled, immoral family members would ALL quit their jobs even though they've ignored me & pretty much their own blood family son/brother (my fiance') when we USED to go to their family get-together simply because they're so narcissistically entitled that they'd feel they're owed money from someone they don't even know.

But because it's their son/brothers' fiance's cousin's sister's husband's 2nd half-sibling, they would honestly feel they're owed money & can obtain it somehow. They've never met ANY of my family.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 10-08-2020 at 06:16 AM..

Old 10-08-2020, 07:54 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
we USED to go to their family get-together simply because they're so narcissistically entitled that they'd feel they're owed money from someone they don't even know.

But because it's their son/brothers' fiance's cousin's sister's husband's 2nd half-sibling, they would honestly feel they're owed money & can obtain it somehow.

Ha...ita. BUT....being selfish or a selfish jerk doesn't mean being narcissistic. Lots of ppl in the forum get that mixed up IMO & overuse the diagnosis "narcissism". AND it's not always easy for a psychiatrist to label a true narcissist per the DSM....so.....ppl on a forum can't do it. The medical community doesn't throw around a diagnosis....specially about ppl they don't know or just think they know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships