Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 AM

255 posts, read 407,297 times

Advertisements

I'm already socially awkward, so I wouldn't have a problem spending time with someone else who is. I don't think I could take the stress of someone who likes drama for no reason. I'd rather have someone I can relate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
Interesting replies seeing as how drama filled people seem to generally have a lot of friends while socially awkward people do not
They have to have a lot of friends. Laying all their drama on one or two people ALL the time would get old fast. They'd end up with NO friends!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Of course when the question is phrased in terms of "do you like to spend time with people who have a lot of drama in their lives?" people will say No. But in reality a lot of people choose to have people like this in their lives. Especially if these people are attractive, outspoken, and charismatic.

If you rephrased the original question like this, you'd get totally different responses:

Would you rather spend time with someone who is shy or socially awkward, perhaps somewhat uncool, who doesn't socialize much, or someone who is exciting, entertaining, spontaneous, who is involved with lots of interesting people and has a magnetic personality?

That's why the drama-prone tend to have a lot of friends and/or people they are involved with. Many people see the first person as "boring" and the second person as "fun and interesting." People who thrive on drama have developed over the years the ability to be "magnetic" and draw lots of people in.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
Interesting replies seeing as how drama filled people seem to generally have a lot of friends while socially awkward people do not
I think this is an interesting point. I suspect that drama queens have a little charisma, and that tends to draw people, at least for a while. I would hazard a guess that DQs have a higher friend turnover, and that less flashy, or awkward people might have fewer, but more steadfast friends.

Of course this is based on generalizations. We can't really know that DQs have more friends that socially awkward people do. Some DQs are not narcissistic--just dramatic. And some socially awkward people are not benign personalities, but toxic people. So, we are only generalizing what who we would want to spend time with. Perhaps, the DQ is better in a social setting; perhaps the socially awkward person is better one on one. But really, the two types aren't direct opposites. And most people are probably a mix of several "types."

Old 07-27-2015, 06:13 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
The socially awkward people I know see it as a strength -- and associate with other socially awkward people, mostly through hobbies like ham radio, square dancing, model trains, scuba diving...

The least socially awkward/most comfortable-in-his-skin friend we have still has a bit of that SA-ness. But he's very involved in his church and because of that, we joke, he knows about half the people in town.

The DQs I've known burn through a lot of friends. And word gets around.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 PM

99,563 posts, read 4,492,037 times
I'll take the socially awkward people any time! Drama is exhausting.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:51 AM

279 posts, read 361,519 times
That is hard to answer.

I don't like people who have/create/live for unnecessary drama in my life as a rule, but I have someone at my work who is so socially awkward that it is almost physically uncomfortable to be in a room with them. Sometimes people forget that socially awkward doesn't equal shyness/quietness alone.

In general I would lean towards the socially awkward one but it really depends on the amount of time that would have to be spent with the person and the extent of their social awkwardness or drama.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:57 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I live in a no drama zone. Everyone who knows me knows that. If I meet someone who is constantly involved in mindless drama ESPECIALLY on Facebook or some other stupid social media, I am gone.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:56 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Drama people can be fun and lively. They are ready to jump up and go somewhere interesting. It's possible to hang out with them ocasionally and refuse to get snared up in the drama.

I stay away from drama people if they do things that are dangerous or if they are psychic vampires.

Socially awkward people can be fine, too. I've got no problem with quiet people. I don't want to hang out with people who are so socially awkward that they embarrass me or get me arrested.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Socially awkward people are more nice and laid back. I hate drama filled people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships