Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:31 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your mother could probably get some serious pain meds from her doctor, just like I could. So, would you be okay with her on oxy or would you prefer her to drink a bit?

What you do with that info is your prerogative. But, I choose to drink a couple glasses of wine rather than take pain meds that my doc would be happy to prescribe. If your Mom is in pain, she'll either suffer terribly, or she'll have to medicate. Which would you have her do in front of your kids? Grandma on oxy or grandma on a couple glasses of vodka?

And how hard would that be to explain to the kids? Grandma suffers from a lot of pain due to arthritis, so she's going to appear a little high, but if you can get around that, she'd love to see you...etc.

Are you mental??? Those are both horrid solutions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
She has pretty much done this her whole life. It's frustrating. I worry more because of her age and health issues. My mom had an evil drinking buddy who has wet head now...and pops pills, mom stopped being friends with wet head because wet head starts drinking as soon as she gets up.
By evil drinking buddy, I mean, MEAN drunk...I hate mean drunks.

Take your daughter home now. She is to young to have to put up with this crap and never should have to ever. I put up with a mean drunk husband and now I don't have to....give her the power to walk away from a drunk.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Again, and who are your friends? You know "many couples" that have to drink a bottle of wine every night? Wow! That speaks for itself!

...Also, my ex DH and I used to kill a bottle of wine once or twice a week. It is not for me to say if anyone is an alcoholic or not. Only the individual is able to determine that.
If a couple shares a bottle of wine, that's two glasses of wine per person. You consider that "killing" a bottle of wine or "having to" drink a bottle of wine every night?

My husband and I share a bottle of wine several nights a week. Not every night, and we don't drink the whole bottle every time we open one, but it's not uncommon for us both to have two glasses of wine each over the course of a relaxing, romantic evening at home. Neither of us gets drunk on two glasses of wine and we really enjoy sitting out on the back patio with our dogs in the evening, sipping a glass or two of wine over a dinner of cheese and crackers and fruit, and listening to the crickets and doves around us.

It amazes me that someone would think two glasses of wine for a healthy adult, even if it's every night, to be too much. Just goes to show that there are lots and lots of cultural differences between people. Opinions are just that - opinions. Not moral standards to anyone but yourself.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Go get your daughter and tell your mom why you are taking her back home. It's her home, she can do what she wants, but I would hope she would want to stop drinking at least while her granddaughter is there. I would certainly stop.

This.

If the grandmother has SUDDENLY "taken to drinking" what seems to be four or five drinks every evening, then something may seriously be wrong with her - is she in pain?

If she's always had a few drinks in the evening, and the drinking has escalated, then that's a problem too. Has the OP ASKED her mom why she's doing this and what she might attribute the increase in drinking to?

If the grandmother has always drunk four or five drinks every night and just won't curtail it while the granddaughter is there, then that's a whole other bucket of worms.

If Granny is getting sloppy drunk, or if Mom is worried about sending the wrong message of tolerance for four or five alcoholic drinks per night, then Mom should ask Granny to quit drinking that much around her daughter, and if Granny won't comply, then evenings with Granny should be curtailed or cut out entirely till the daughter is old enough to make up her own mind about this sort of thing.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:29 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I share a bottle of wine several nights a week. Not every night, and we don't drink the whole bottle every time we open one, but it's not uncommon for us both to have two glasses of wine each over the course of a relaxing, romantic evening at home. Neither of us gets drunk on two glasses of wine and we really enjoy sitting out on the back patio with our dogs in the evening, sipping a glass or two of wine over a dinner of cheese and crackers and fruit, and listening to the crickets and doves around us.
Same here! Love sitting outside to end a day.
We go through 4 or 5 bottles a month... definitely not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It amazes me that someone would think two glasses of wine for a healthy adult, even if it's every night, to be too much.
Since it is too much for that person, it must be too much for all, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships