Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,736,274 times

Advertisements

I too find KathrynAragon's suggestion to be a charming idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
In life, you gotta pick your battles - otherwise everything is a fight and ain't nobody got time fo dat. Well, some people thrive on it but not emotionally healthy people.

Besides that, being generous feels good.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
The answer to the ownership of the ring is within your post:

"but anything valuable (ie. her wedding ring) was given to my mother."

Ownership was decided a couple years earlier. Your mom owns the ring and it is hers to do with it what ever she wants. Your cousin has no claim on the ring.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Mom owns the ring. If she is agreeable, and your cousin wants it, she can pay each of the 3 remaining cousins a 1/4 of the value of the ring and it's hers.

It maybe very traditional, but I find it very strange that one would "provide" their own engagement ring with no input from the fiance. My D has a beautiful diamond solitaire ring that my father-in-law's second wife gave to her for a graduation gift. My father-in-law gave it to his second wife before he died. She wears it on her right hand-ring finger. Her long term boyfriend doesn't see this as even a remote possibility for an engagement ring. That's not to say that both my D and her BF can't pay for a new ring.
If she wants the ring she should pay the OP's mom 100% of the value of the ring. The OP's mom is the owner of the ring now.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,662,611 times
Just wondering: what happened to your grandmother's wedding ring? We've been discussing an engagement ring, but didn't she also have a wedding ring?

Before she died, my mother decided that her engagement ring would go to my sister and her wedding ring to me. That way we each have a memento of her marriage to our dad, and something to pass on to our kids if we so desire.

So, if there's a wedding ring as well, that might be a solution here as well.

But, I also think that your cousin got the family good china, which may, in fact, be worth more than the ring. Since your mother doesn't wear the ring, perhaps a swap for the china would work?

I agree, however, that it's best if your engagement ring is bought by your fiance. That way, you can pick out what you and he like and it will have special meaning to you in the years to come. You also will be able to give it (and your wedding ring) to your future children without any guilt, should you decide to pass it down.

Forget the ring -- be happy and enjoy your engagement!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:29 PM

204 posts, read 292,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just wondering: what happened to your grandmother's wedding ring? We've been discussing an engagement ring, but didn't she also have a wedding ring?

Before she died, my mother decided that her engagement ring would go to my sister and her wedding ring to me. That way we each have a memento of her marriage to our dad, and something to pass on to our kids if we so desire.

So, if there's a wedding ring as well, that might be a solution here as well.

But, I also think that your cousin got the family good china, which may, in fact, be worth more than the ring. Since your mother doesn't wear the ring, perhaps a swap for the china would work?

I agree, however, that it's best if your engagement ring is bought by your fiance. That way, you can pick out what you and he like and it will have special meaning to you in the years to come. You also will be able to give it (and your wedding ring) to your future children without any guilt, should you decide to pass it down.

Forget the ring -- be happy and enjoy your engagement!
It's the engagement and wedding band. It's one of those where you put the engagement ring in between the two bands... no idea what it's called!

We decided my mom will hold on to the ring for now, but that I'll eventually get it. Turns out, my cousin is fine with it at this point and realized that it's my mom's ring and can do with it whatever she wants.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
All's well that ends well.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 PM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All's well that ends well.
Indeed.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:23 PM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post

We decided my mom will hold on to the ring for now, but that I'll eventually get it. Turns out, my cousin is fine with it at this point and realized that it's my mom's ring and can do with it whatever she wants.
Thanks for posting how things turned out.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 PM

204 posts, read 292,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thanks for posting how things turned out.
Thanks for all the suggestions on how to handle it! Sometimes it's good to get an opinion from someone other than friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships