Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Uh uh. Then by all means continue.
I am going to assume you are questioned about ethnicity and travel decisions often enough where you don't care. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 01:22 PM

24,631 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I never forced my interests on her. She was interrogating me on why I was traveling to Korea. I felt I was giving her legitimate reasons on why I was going. I never shoved my heritage and culture in her face, not even once.
I understand not looking up my relatives made no sense to her, but that was a long, personal conversation I did not feel was necessary to have at that time, that would just made us both uncomfortable.

She is in her 50's btw.
Are you looking for something to make your spouse take sides?

Old 09-07-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
See, I would see it as an opportunity to throw it back in her face. "Why on Earth would ever want to go to Australia, Italy or England?! There's an entire world of interesting places to see, and you ask why I'd go those those countries? Why would I waste my time doing that?!" Etc etc. Get her all riled up and crazy. MILs have a penchant for being insane anyway, may as well help her along!
That is why the questioning was strange. I never questioned her on traveling to Italy once she showed me all her pictures and her scrapbook and etc, (she took that trip literally years ago and I did not ask to see her travels) but yet traveling to Korea was a really strange and bizarre thought that needed to be questioned multiple times. It is no different than traveling to any other country. It is another country on the globe.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
I do believe that you are seeing this from YOUR side only, just as she is seeing it from her side.

Maybe she is concerned that one day you will "take" her son (and future grandkids) to a far-off place like Korea.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What do you mean? He has not taken a side, nor would I want him to. I wanted him to be aware of this though.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,902,131 times
Quote:
I never forced my interests on her. She was interrogating me on why I was traveling to Korea. I felt I was giving her legitimate reasons on why I was going. I never shoved my heritage and culture in her face, not even once.
I understand not looking up my relatives made no sense to her, but that was a long, personal conversation I did not feel was necessary to have at that time, that would just made us both uncomfortable.

She is in her 50's btw.
Did you consider just asking her kindly why she is uncomfortable with you traveling to Korea? she might have a reason that is real to her, even if it is unfathomable to you. You will never know unless you just ask. Open minded.

You've been on the defensive all this time. I don't mean you should bo O-ffensive, but if she really has a point of view, she might like being giving a legit opportunity to share it.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I do believe that you are seeing this from YOUR side only, just as she is seeing it from her side.

Maybe she is concerned that one day you will "take" her son (and future grandkids) to a far-off place like Korea.
LOL, I am not a Korean citizen. I am not going to run away and live there. The culture is nothing like American culture. I would question her logic if she ever thought this lol.

Or perhaps I am exposing her son to a culture she is unfamiliar with and it makes her uncomfortable. It is just diversity. We can't live in a bubble.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Did you consider just asking her kindly why she is uncomfortable with you traveling to Korea? she might have a reason that is real to her, even if it is unfathomable to you. You will never know unless you just ask. Open minded.

You've been on the defensive all this time. I don't mean you should bo O-ffensive, but if she really has a point of view, she might like being giving a legit opportunity to share it.
You are correct, I have been on the defensive. I would be willing to hear what her concerns are, and dispel those beliefs, especially if they are false. Where she grew up there were not any Asians and maybe there is some prejudice due to non-exposure.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am not sure if you are thinking I am just looking for something to be offended about, that is not my style. I just feel questioning me on my heritage and why I am going to that country and not a nice place Italy or Australia was not very polite of her. If it was once, I wouldn't have minded. But three times later, I did mind.

But I believe I sat down with her before and gave her my ethnic breakdown, my mother, my brother over some tea and shared that with her. I told her how important this is to me and how this is not something I share due to judgmental views. I felt her coming back with these questions yet again was a slap in the face and was pretty hurtful. It was like she was never listening to me.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
LOL, I am not a Korean citizen. I am not going to run away and live there. The culture is nothing like American culture. I would question her logic if she ever thought this lol.
She doesn't know that.

Quote:
Or perhaps I am exposing her son to a culture she is unfamiliar with and it makes her uncomfortable. It is just diversity. We can't live in a bubble.
I didn't say you were a Korean citizen. You don't have to be a citizen to live there.

You do seem to have a very quick trigger on this as well. This:

Quote:
You are correct, I have been on the defensive. I would be willing to hear what her concerns are, and dispel those beliefs, especially if they are false. Where she grew up there were not any Asians and maybe there is some prejudice due to non-exposure.
... is the most sensible thing you've said, honestly. She is who she is, and the positive thing about this situation is that she is asking questions. She COULD just ignore you completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships