Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you find it odd if a complete stranger came up and touched you on the shoulder asking if every
Yes 49 51.04%
No 47 48.96%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 12:03 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,426 times

Advertisements

One other thing that I've done which might annoy someone, but to date they haven't shown it, is every now and then (again especially in airports - I travel a lot) I'll see a mom with young kids.

For example a little while ago a mom had a daughter who was whining, and the mom patiently told her no, no, no. She didn't give in and the child moved on. The mother was swamped with a fussy noisy infant at the time (with a few folks firing dirty looks). I mentioned to her "I hope you know what a good mom you're being, your kids are really lucky".

We had a bit of a wait, and after some small talk she ended up asking me if I could watch her kids for just a moment while she went to the washroom. It's a pretty big compliment when a mom trusts you with her kids (even in a high secure airport) but after 8 hours of traveling I think she was relieved to have even a minute or two to pee in privacy (you have no idea how hard that is to do with 2 kids and no stroller ).

Again, probably a man offering similar help could be strange, but even a friendly smile to a mom with a crying baby can make all the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 12:43 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
I'd probably say "wow..........somebody actuallyModerator cut: edit cares.....Thanks for asking!"

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-21-2015 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: changed the filtered word

Old 09-21-2015, 02:28 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Years ago, we were on vacation in Florida. We were window shopping at a strip mall where we has shopped a year ago. Some stores were closed so I had looked in the window to see if it looked like the store was just closed or out of business. Some guy approached us and starts asking my wife if everything was allright. He asked several times. There was no shouting arguing of physical contact going on between wife & I. It was like he looked at me and thought she couldn't possible be with me unless she was under duress. He was finally satisfied and left. No explanation from him. No apology. I have no idea what he was up to. Was he a redneck looking for a fight or what? This was before the George Zimmerman incident. Maybe he was that type of guy. Being set up for a con was a thought. It really seemed like he was up to no good. It was certainly odd.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I landed at Boston airport, turned on my phone, and saw that I had 38 missed phone calls.

Turns out, my husband found out my stepson had died while I was in the air on a 2 1/2 hour flight.

I was beyond help.

Standing there at the airport (kudos US Air for putting my right back on the plane) crying and someone did touch me on the shoulder and ask if I was okay.

I didn't tell them but it was a nice gesture.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
That happened to me Friday night actually and of course I wasn't upset. I was at a military ball and on the way back to the car my super high heels all of a sudden were killing me!!!! I sat down in my evening gown as my SO other ran back to get his wine glass and I took off my heels and a young AF woman asked if I was ok. I told her yes I was just taking my heels off. She was just being caring and kind.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:13 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
Not only would I find it odd, I'd reach to make sure my wallet was still there, and I'd probably tell the person to get their hands off me. Loudly.

I guess then I would know you do indeed have some sort of problem....sad. A kind human and that makes you angry.....wow

Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
I've already put it into perspective... I stated if you're just sitting down by yourself, would you find it odd for a stranger to just walk up and ask if you're OK. No crying, sobbing, acting hysterical, or making any noises whatsoever.
Your original post included "and tapped you on the shoulder," and that is why you are getting answers related to being touched by a stranger.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:25 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Yeah.

I have a 3ft rule. If anyone I don't know gets that close and touches me, they are one step closer to getting knocked out.

What the Hell is the matter with you??? You're going to punch someone out for tapping you on the shoulder?????

Old 09-22-2015, 05:05 AM

287 posts, read 327,140 times
Six years ago I showed up to work one morning- I had some discomfort in my back driving to work that morning and when I arrived at work it suddenly turned into all-out, ten-on-the-scale pain. I was doubled over on the floor at my desk and screaming my brains out. I was immediately carted to the hospital by a coworker. Turned out I had kidney stones. Well, that day at work I was supposed to start training a new employee who I had never met before. That evening, I was three hours out of surgery, in bed and very groggy with a catheter tube in and guess who showed up in my hospital room to see if I was okay... The new employee, with her husband in tow.

I was mortified and extremely embarrassed, but I did my best to remain pleasant. And, yes, the first thing she did was put her hand on my shoulder and ask if I was okay. She was a much older woman- her and her husband even brought me flowers. The worst part is we were chit-chatting for a couple minutes with me attempting to remain on my best behavior when the nurse comes in and says "Time to check your catheter!" Did that couple excuse themselves and leave? Oh no! The nurse pulled the curtain around my bed and the couple actually STAYED IN THE ROOM rather than wait out in the hall... After the nurse was done, the couple stayed about another fifteen minutes before I told them I really appreciated them visiting, but I was extremely tired, sore and wanted some rest.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
I was mortified and extremely embarrassed, but I did my best to remain pleasant. And, yes, the first thing she did was put her hand on my shoulder and ask if I was okay. She was a much older woman- her and her husband even brought me flowers. The worst part is we were chit-chatting for a couple minutes with me attempting to remain on my best behavior when the nurse comes in and says "Time to check your catheter!" Did that couple excuse themselves and leave? Oh no! The nurse pulled the curtain around my bed and the couple actually STAYED IN THE ROOM rather than wait out in the hall... After the nurse was done, the couple stayed about another fifteen minutes before I told them I really appreciated them visiting, but I was extremely tired, sore and wanted some rest.
I would agree that they should have left the room, but likely the reason that much older couple didn't was because they'd "been there, done that" through such things with each other often enough that they didn't have a second thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships