Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:49 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
So much bitterness here. You know, bitter people are not much fun. Or interesting either. How about a little less judgment about other people? You can't possibly know what motivates others; you can't know their stories unless you get to know them.

Bitter people often turn into lonely, unhappy old people judging everyone by else personal standards, and finding them wanting. What a waste of a life!
Interesting comment since the OP is accusing the world of doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I myself don't find this to be true, I drive a 17 year old car, sometimes buy clothes at thrift shops (and then brag about the great find) and I never feel judged about any of it.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
I make fun of people who do nothing but post fake looking selfies onModerator cut: editsocial media .There must be more to life.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-05-2015 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: ry ban on FB. See the sticky post atop this forum.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:26 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Seems like most people treat you a certain way based on money, status, what kind of job you have, looks, etc. Even people who swear to everything they treat everyone the same really don't . I can see some people who try to but I always pick up on the subtleties . You people are so engrossed and impressed with money, beauty, and status that seeing people for who they are has become a thing of the past. I'm not saying you have to befriend drug abusers etc. It just seems like these days with fb, insta whatever, snap Chat, that everyone is obsessed with how "good" they look to the world. It's leaked into every aspect of life : jobs, relationships, social norms etc. Disgusting really.

He says . . . as he posts on a social media website. Personally, I find people that can do nothing but complain about other people's shallowness to be incredibly boring and self-centered, and usually a PITA because they are so busy feeling superior to everyone they meet. I avoid them at all costs.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I think you suffer from the "I'm so special no one can understand me" syndrome. I meet plenty of silly, shallow people... and pass them right on by. I've spent my life building a group of friends who are, frankly, amazing. When I die, that will be my biggest accomplishment, probably, and sometimes it boggles my mind how much I love them.

It was funny, but after my parents threw my 30th birthday party, they stopped bragging to people about how I have a good job and how smart I am and started bragging about how I had so many wonderful friends. I never gave a crap about the other stuff, but I was actually quite proud of the fact that they were actually bragging about my friends.

My two best friends are the most ethical, intelligent and sincere people I know. The three of us are devoted to each other. I met them in high school and we have been friends ever since. And my other friends include former neighbors, old classmates, coworkers from my previous jobs - people I've built relationships with.

I was a loner for a long time due to social phobias and awful interpersonal skills from a learning disability. I've learned that having friends is work. If you're dissatisfied with your personal relationships, you need to take a long look at yourself rather than blaming other people. Do you treat people with courtesy and kindness? Do you empathize with them? Do you approach them with the idea of doing no harm (as in, you're not going to do anything to make their day worse)? Are you open and warm?

I try to be as friendly and open as possible, because that's the way to get people to show you who they really are. If they don't like me, no big deal. I'm concerned with my conduct, not theirs. Of course there are people out there who are just awful. They are not people I choose to associate with, but I am polite and kind when I encounter them. That's the person I want to be.

OP, you should concentrate on being a person whom you would respect and like if you met yourself. You should give people the benefit of the doubt. A lot of the people you are dismissing are probably not the awful beings you think they are. If you keep your current attitude, I can guarantee you that you're not going to have a happy life.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:44 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Yeah, when you don't know people well and don't take the time to talk and find out what they are really thinking, they can seem shallow.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-06-2015, 04:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Seems like most people treat you a certain way based on money, status, what kind of job you have, looks, etc. Even people who swear to everything they treat everyone the same really don't . I can see some people who try to but I always pick up on the subtleties . You people are so engrossed and impressed with money, beauty, and status that seeing people for who they are has become a thing of the past. I'm not saying you have to befriend drug abusers etc. It just seems like these days with fb, insta whatever, snap Chat, that everyone is obsessed with how "good" they look to the world. It's leaked into every aspect of life : jobs, relationships, social norms etc. Disgusting really.
A lot of what you say I agree with.
But that doesn't mean you have to be a part of it.
SOME people are indeed "obsessed with how good they look to the world".
So what????that's their problem...I don't make it mine. If anything I'm amused by it.
Long as I have my own friends, who aren't hung up on material possessions and appearances...and physical looks...why would I care?
I can't change it...but I don't have to embrace it either....so it doesn't bother me.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:44 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Everybody is shallow on a superficial social, surface level. Nobody goes displaying all their brains or deep thoughts to near strangers unless they are a socially inept bore.

It looks to me like OP is also shallow. Judging people on very superficial behavior instead of getting to know them.

See, and there is me, judging OP in a superficial level just based on his uncharitable note on C-D. I have no idea what he is really like. (nor do I care, sorry about that, OP.)

Old 11-07-2015, 02:09 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities."

Charles Bukowski

Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 AM

12 posts, read 18,668 times
In some high cost of living cities, especially places like San Francisco, New York, and Washington D.C., people will size you up based on status and money. They will try to figure out who has money and power, and then who they have to be somewhat "nice" to based on that money and power. You won't get great treatment or service in a restaurant if they think you aren't someone important. It's mostly from people who work in the service industry, like retail and food service. They have to be nice to the rich, and they choose not to be nice to everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships