Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 10:07 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Add me to the club! I have 2 awesome nieces though and 6 great-nephews and nieces, and they are enough...I am very nice to my nieces and already planning for a granny pod in one of their back yards one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 08:15 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Me too! I'm 67, single and never married. I never wanted to get married or have kids at all!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Never married and no kids. However I have a single Mother sharing my home and she has a 14 month old little guy. He adds so much pleasure to my existence. I hope his Mommy can get her act together and find her soul mate soon but in the meantime I hope I can see him catch his first fish, learn how to shoot a bow & arrow, ride his first bike and take him on his first hunting trip.
That is absolutely awesome that you get to experience this. I'm envious.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
There's no guarantee that your kids would take care of you if/when you got sick. There are plenty parents out here with kids who would never take care of them. And some have kids they'd never want to take care of them LOL. Personally, I'd rather hire a nurse than put up with my grumpy, impatient daughter - IF she'd even be willing to take care of me. There are plenty of us parents out here who raised spoiled brats.

Depending on your income or insurance, you could probably get in home health care. I'm just saying, having kids is no guarantee to having loving care-givers if/when you need them.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:22 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
I have a buddy, 55, never married, no kids. Remember my post about men becoming "spinsters"?

Old 11-07-2015, 11:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Like anything there is no once size fits all. Just because we are older and never married I'm sure our circumstances are pretty varied. In addition to not having married or children I have very little family. So I start to worry about what would happen if I had a severe injury or health crises. Stuff like that.
You can add me to the list. I realized at some point I would not want to raise children and though I dated and had relationships, I realized that marriage would not be my thing, either. Though I appreciate companionship or togetherness, I enjoy time alone, being independent and feeling more relaxation and peacefulness on my own (having pets over the years).

I have thought it would be best having a relationship with someone who is similar, maintaining his own place and getting together spontaneously or otherwise, valuing each other, but respecting the need for own time (not that he would be a "player", either). I suppose it helps that I have remained close (non romantically) with someone I was once involved / lived with years ago.. living nearby and talking to or seeing each other regularly (who also chose remaining alone).

I am having the same concerns, though. I should have surgery on one knee, yet I am worried about recovery time - having a cat and needing to maintain things. I have few family members also and don't know how much help there may be. I guess I might qualify for home health care.. but..

Old 11-08-2015, 05:34 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I have a buddy, 55, never married, no kids. Remember my post about men becoming "spinsters"?
It has struck me more than once that men in some ways are better friends to their eternally bachelor friends. I wonder why that is.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:43 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
You can add me to the list. I suppose it helps that I have remained close (non romantically) with someone I was once involved / lived with years ago.. living nearby and talking to or seeing each other regularly (who also chose remaining alone).

I am having the same concerns, though. I should have surgery on one knee, yet I am worried about recovery time - having a cat and needing to maintain things. I have few family members also and don't know how much help there may be. I guess I might qualify for home health care.. but..
I'm glad you have that person. I think that's great. If I had one or two committed friends that we could watch out for each other that would be a boon.

As for surgery, I recently had something not too major but I wasn't sure how I'd do. I was pretty worried about it. One day driving to my apt I noticed a sign about some sort of health care thing. So I pulled in. They hire average people, no special training, do a drug screening and hire them out to people for running errands, light cleaning, post surgery help. I can't even remember how much it was, 25 an hour? Less? They might have had a 2 hour minimum. So I signed up to have someone come once a day for the first 5 days. As it turned out I didn't really need them past the first day of dressing changes and one run to get a prescription (couldn't drive). But it was nice to have them run the vacuum, pick up fresh fruit and make sure I was alive

Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Pew research, 2012 data says 7% of women and 8% of men at age 64 are never married.

Share of Never-Married Adults Diminishes with Age | Pew Research Center

The big question is why. Do they not want to be or not know how to find each other?

Old 11-08-2015, 08:50 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
You can add me to the list. I realized at some point I would not want to raise children and though I dated and had relationships, I realized that marriage would not be my thing, either. Though I appreciate companionship or togetherness, I enjoy time alone, being independent and feeling more relaxation and peacefulness on my own (having pets over the years).
I'm 50, married twice. I had a stepdaughter in the first marriage, she was 3 when we met and we were only together a few years. I've been with someone 4 years now and he has no desire to get married, and I'm fine with that.

And I'll say it - I don't like kids much at all. There was a brief moment in time when I assumed I would have them. After all, being brought up Catholic kind of put that in your head. I should thank my first husband for pushing it out of my head completely, even though I was already headed in that direction. He was so useless around the house/yard and worse with his own kid that I couldn't ever having kids with him.

Quote:
I have thought it would be best having a relationship with someone who is similar, maintaining his own place and getting together spontaneously or otherwise, valuing each other, but respecting the need for own time (not that he would be a "player", either). I suppose it helps that I have remained close (non romantically) with someone I was once involved / lived with years ago.. living nearby and talking to or seeing each other regularly (who also chose remaining alone).
I've had those same thoughts, especially after my second divorce. I actually feel that's pretty healthy. Unfortunately the guy I was seeing post-divorce was crazy insecure and Would. Not. Leave. Me. Alone. Even after agreeing that we should share time at each others places - INCLUDING a couple of alone nights a week. Well, he'd agree and then say "after tonight". Every. Night.

My current bf is so sane I sometimes think I am dreaming. He has his own place, but he does sleep here every night. We have our own hobbies and interests, and there are never any issues when one of us wants to do something different. I've gone on two vacations alone and he's stayed back to watch the pets. The last time, he took a vacation the same week I was gone and spent it working on his own house. It does sound odd to people I'm sure, but it works very well for us.

I had surgery on my thumb last year, very minor and was appalled they required me to have someone drive me to and from and even want them to stay with me for 24 hours after (I didn't do that). So yes, things like that have weighed on my mind since then, especially as I want to move to a more rural location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships