Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a friend or relative asks you for money, do you give it to them?
YES, I can afford it and it is an act of kindness 6 10.91%
NO, it's my money, I earned it 26 47.27%
Maybe, but only immediate family members 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
my dad tried selling a riding mower to a couple, saying it also includes a snow plower attachment + tire chains. They said they didn't want it, so they're going to knock $200 off the asking price. It's INCLUDED in the price, and it doesn't do him any good to sell the mower while holding on to those pieces. He got annoyed and said that now he's adding $200 to the original asking price. IOW... "get out". They later tried coming back to haggle that same price. Nope. He'd already sold it to a group of guys who came by, picked it up, put it into their pickup truck at the asking price.

FWIW, some of these are entertaining.

One misconception is the quote "women have it lucky. They can always find somebody to take care of them" isn't quite true. Even in this case, if she's not going to find a job, she'd dang well better find a new husband willing to take care of her then.

I'd be willing to bet that that wouldn't happen in our age group and her lack of motivation to stay fit. She had a good paying job once upon a time and she had a friend at work that basically handled all of the things she couldn't handle. Her and her husband worked at the same place and he was promoted to upper management and became her boss. She was forced out about 5 years ago and hasn't worked since. I doubt she could function in our profession any more. I encouraged her to get a job at Starbucks just for the insurance. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm thinking since her husband is responding well to the new medication that he will go back to work soon, if he can find a job Moral of story is have back up money for your back up money. Depending on anyone other then yourself is risky business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
If I knew CLOSE friends who we knew would never take advantage of our friendship, or a family member who ended up in dire straights, then yes. Otherwise, no.

I have a brother on disability, plus he gets old age pension and a pension from his deceased wife. He makes around $6000/month. He actually had the NERVE to ask my husband for $10,000. I was disgusted. (not an unusual occurance with his behaviour)

Old 11-28-2015, 02:34 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
If feel it's sort of a catch-22.... those who are responsible enough to accept a loan, understand the consequences, and even pay it back, probably won't need to, as they're likely financially responsible enough NOT to put themselves in such a situation in the first place. Those who ask for the money may certainly need it for legit purposes, but these are the types of folks how don't understand the issues of borrowing money, and often could use some financial life lessons.

Reminds me of something I saw on TV.... "I don't have problems with money. I just need more of it", which pretty much translates into having all the money in the world won't make a difference here.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:06 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
makes excellent sense, ackmondual.. and having more money attracts different people,
being broke has its advantages.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:17 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I decided a long time ago that anyone I care deeply about is worth losing $500 over. So, if someone I really care about asks to borrow money I will loan up to $500. Then if they haven't repaid the money and ask again I can tell them, "you still owe me $500, so not until that money is repaid" I've never had to say that phrase and have only been stung once. I knew when I lent that money it was more like a payment to avoid ever being asked again and since it was a brother in law, it kept peace because my MIL would have been so deeply upset if we didn't help her favorite son.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I offer loans all the time with over a year to pay back....I say,' No stress....take your time...
it is extra cash I have on hand'....they don't need to know I have as much as I do.
No one does...I live modestly.
I've bought 4 new tires for a friend in the Winter....rather have them alive!
Said, I knew someone and got a great deal, just lemme do it.
Also, got a great deal on wood for their woodstove...I have extra don't need it.
Things like that so they don't know it's truly charity.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:35 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I find that very noble of you Miss Hepburn. It's awful to have to ask for help and the helper makes you feel bad for being in need. But ...it's only nice as long as no one takes advantage

Old 11-28-2015, 06:43 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
Unless it was a true emergency, then no I wouldn't. The people who always end up needing loans are the ones who never pay them back. They end up asking other people because their friends and relatives won't lend them money anymore.

My rule of thumb is never give money to someone expecting to get it back. If you're ok with gifting it, fine. But beware or you'll become someone's new ATM machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships