Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:23 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times

Advertisements

Because people turn into buttholes when they have kids, that's why. There's nothing wrong with how you are feeling. Breeders are lame, OP!! Just drop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:05 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Yeah. I am the same. Don't have kids. Don't want kids. Don't have any real interest in kids.

My brother and his girlfriend are expecting. I joke about baby stuff. But I am not too excited about the baby itself. No ill will. Just no interest either. So I won't be holding, snuggling, or babysitting. I'll probably be a distant aunt. Send money and cards on b-day + Xmas. I am not even too close with my brother. We just don't have much in common.

But in your case, it's mainly as you said. been there, done that. And even with some parents, they just care about their kids. They don't have interest in kids in general.

So it's like that with tons of things. Like someone who's been married for 20 years may roll their eyes at the cloud nine newly-weds who haven't even really started yet, and gush about how wonderful everything is. Sex everyday, and no fights (yet/). So it's easy for someone to be excited about new things. But it will wear off. lol

As Debra said about her friend's baby shower in Everybody Loves Raymond
Quote:
It's their 1st baby. They're still excited.
She has 3 kids.

Just with kids, seems you may get the most grief there where people get offended that not everyone is gonna care about and gush over their babies.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I regard babies and children as important and worthy of consideration, but many new parents look upon their children as a combination of entertainment hobby and a lottery fortune and expect others to have an appropriate reaction to the endlessly fascinating miracle they produced.

This usually wears off when the kid turns 13 and gets spraypaint on the porch or permanently dyes the bathtub fluorescent pink.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:32 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Also have no interest in being around kids and don't want to make a big to-do about someone else's kids or grandkids.

Same as with people who want you to gush over their precious Fido....not interested in having your furry-friend jump up on me or worse.

When people love their little ones (kids or pets); that's wonderful, but the rest of the world may not be so eager to join in.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:47 PM

442 posts, read 1,579,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I'll probably be a distant aunt. Send money and cards on b-day + Xmas.
Do you not at all find it a tad harsh that you're already proclaiming to be a "distant aunt"? It's your choice, but sounds a little koo-koo. Although, they will probably be happy you are a distant aunt, as children typically don't grow fond of relatives who reject them for no apparent reason. My guess is they will careless about the spam you send them on bday and Christmas.

..or, ya know, could always try to grow an ounce of a heart.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:52 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Do you not at all find it a tad harsh that you're already proclaiming to be a "distant aunt"? It's your choice, but sounds a little koo-koo. Although, they will probably be happy you are a distant aunt, as children typically don't grow fond of relatives who reject them for no apparent reason. My guess is they will careless about the spam you send them on bday and Christmas.

..or, ya know, could always try to grow an ounce of a heart.
Why is that strange to you? Some people just don't have parenting or even relatively instincts of any kind in them. Hell I've never met any of my cousins kids.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM

442 posts, read 1,579,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Why is that strange to you? Some people just don't have parenting or even relatively instincts of any kind in them. Hell I've never met any of my cousins kids.
Even animals have instincts, but OK..
There is a significant difference between what you are talking about and a person premeditating a "distant" relationship. If lack of instincts were the case then why would the poster think to send bday and Christmas cards?

Old 12-12-2015, 08:23 PM

194 posts, read 246,435 times
Yeah I understand. A ton of people in my age range (18-24) have already had children and it's like they get sucked into a different world.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:30 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Here lately I am just not interested in other people babies and young kids. I use to make over them and take an interest, but any more I am like, "yup it is a baby on Santa's lap, how about this weather?"

I think it is just because I am done with that chapter of my life and have been there and done that years ago. Many of my friends are just now having babies and I have been doing the parenting thing for almost two decades. Seen it all, survived the sleepless nights, and never want to experience poopy diapers and accidents ever again... I am done, done, done...

A friend of mine had a baby 6 months ago and I am embarrassed to say I have not even gone to meet the child.

And it is not that I am insensitive, because that is not the case. I will cry when I hear a story about a child with cancer or some similar tragedy. But normal kid stuff, like seeing Santa pictures from every single friend? No thank you.

Can anyone else relate?
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I wasn't interested in most people's kids before I had a kid. And some days I'm so exhausted with my own that I'm not interested in their kids now either, but only because all I am interested in at that moment is figuring out a way to get a nap. lol I love kids, but they are exhausting. And some days, they're not that interesting when they're not your own or someone's you love.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I've never changed a diaper and I feel the same way. Most people have wiring in their brain that says 'the baby is cute' or 'the child is cute.' I don't. The baby begins as a random spewer of loud noises and rank substances. Then it adds the ability to damage itself and others if not watched every second. At some point, when it can have conversations, it begins to interest me--if it is willing to have conversations. Until then, they all look the same, and most of them are butt-ugly. And if they reach the conversation age, but pull the whole shy avoidance thing, they do not interest me then either.

It happens a lot on FB, where parents think that the baby is fascinating, the child is fascinating, the mess is fascinating, all of it is fascinating. It is fascinating to the parents. Everyone else chimes in, except maybe 10% of the people who are authentic gluttons for punishment, out of obligation. They are socially required to say that the child is adorable, and they value the adult friendship, thus it won't hurt to tell their pal Haighleah that little Cambelle--whose head looks like a hairy tumor topped with a pink bow, quite frankly--is just the cutest thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships