Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,622 times

Advertisements

Years ago when I went away to college, the first time a football game came on I was shocked when my roommate told me he wasn't interested in watching. I later discovered he had no interest in joining me to play pickup basketball, volleyball, softball, or even weight lifting.

Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?

Incidentally, I'm just as into sports now as I was then- at least when it comes to playing them. The amount of time I spend these says watching them has been tempered a bit due to a busy schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 02:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Thank goodness my husband cares nothing for sports. I would never have dated him if he were. It's incredibly boring to watch sports or to listen to people talking about sports.

No, he's not competitive by nature. He doesn't join in on conversations about sports. He has no close friends that are sport nuts - yes, lots of them exist.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:53 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
Sports can be fun and exciting, especially if you have someone special who likes to watch with you.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
A lot of my male friends growing up were more into sci-fi, computers, etc.

Not sporty at all. Though some developed an affection for their college football teams later.

One is an insane Dallas Cowboys fan.

None of them express any interest in participating in athletics to this day. I guess one bikes/hikes. *shrug*

Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
I’m surprised that you’re surprised that there are people out there who don’t share your interests.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Neither my husband nor my three sons are into pro sports, but everybody roots for their various college teams. And the boys were all big athletes until high school graduation. I think some colleges are definitely more sports oriented. One of my boys is currently doing grad school where the football team is #1 in it's conference. He said his apartment is about 100 yards from the stadium entrance, and you would never know it was game day by the noise. His undergrad college had a huge tailgating reputation, and he expected the same where he is now.

A lot of people would rather play, than watch, and others have schedules that don't allow them to spend hours watching games. Both apply at our house.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
I think if you haven't participated in any kind of sports when you were a child, it is less likely you will be interested in it later on.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
My husband couldn't care less about sports. He will watch part of the super bowl and some of the Olympics with the kids...but that's more to join in. I don't know, my husband is super smart, somewhat reserved but has a good sense of humor. He isn't a freak of nature or anything. He is into politics like they are a sport though.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:06 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
Never was into sports that much myself.
Whether it was any of the "ball" sports, "motor" sports, or even the "fighting" sports, I could never really get into any of it.

Now participation, that's a whole different thing.
Fighting sports seem like a good way to stay in shape, and professional target shooting is quite intense.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:26 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Years ago when I went away to college, the first time a football game came on I was shocked when my roommate told me he wasn't interested in watching. I later discovered he had no interest in joining me to play pickup basketball, volleyball, softball, or even weight lifting.

Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?

Incidentally, I'm just as into sports now as I was then- at least when it comes to playing them. The amount of time I spend these says watching them has been tempered a bit due to a busy schedule.
I know many men who don't like sports, to the point where they denigrate people who do (I do for example). Some guys prefer video games. Or they like literature. Or...gasp...they might like all that stuff. Sports are not interesting to certain people. That's just how it is.

The stereotype that all men like sports is just as dumb as the one that says women don't like them or don't "get" them. Maybe back in the day it was considered more masculine to like sports so more men did for that reason. But nowadays, you can pretty much be interested in any normal hobby without having to suffer repercussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
One is an insane Dallas Cowboys fan.
Haha, I would rather never watch sports again than be a Cowboys fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think if you haven't participated in any kind of sports when you were a child, it is less likely you will be interested in it later on.
I would guess that playing sports and liking to watch them has a strong correlation, especially because to be a good athlete you generally have to watch tape of that sport anyway. Again, I think it's more acceptable now for men not to be athletes, so not as many of them like sports as they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships