Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:39 AM

194 posts, read 246,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

By the way, if you were a minor, no way would I be giving you this advice. When you are a minor, you are to live under the rules of your parents. But you are an adult. Time to start living like one.
Seems like it's generally agreed that I should tell him at the last minute lol. Oh boy, I'm kind of morbidly curious about what his reaction would be now. That was very well thought out, and luckily I won't have anything to uhaul since I'll just take everything I need in a car. I'm a minimalist, so everything I have here that I don't absolutely need will be sold or given away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

I let them know as late as possible about my "plans"
I lied and said I was going on a two week trip to get some sunshine
I limited my contact as much as possible in the days prior to the trip
I stayed and didn't come home
I didn't answer the phone a lot until I was settled in
This is crazy and awesome Luckily no uhaul or anything for me, I won't be bringing much. He might even freak out for me to go on a trip, but, o well lol! Still haven't told him about my own 4 day trip to Florida that happened in August, he would kill me, but in a year or two when I'm older, he -might- be slightly more okay with saying I'm going on a trip, but, I never know with him. Like I said, he won't even let me stay home for a few nights alone at the age of 20 because he thinks it's a safety issue even though we live in a tiny town in the country of less than 2K people.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:24 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Considerations:

Do you have a job lined up? Most places won't rent unless you do.
Who's carrying your health insurance? That's a huge expense to pick up if you don't have it through work.
Who's name is your car under? If you don't have it in your name then you can't take the car.
Do you have credit cards in your name only? What about a bank account?
Do you have all your necessary paperwork? SS card, birth certificate, HS diploma, etc? You will need those.

It's a lot more than just putting your stuff in a box and running.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Considerations:

Do you have a job lined up? Most places won't rent unless you do.
Who's carrying your health insurance? That's a huge expense to pick up if you don't have it through work.
Who's name is your car under? If you don't have it in your name then you can't take the car.
Do you have credit cards in your name only? What about a bank account?
Do you have all your necessary paperwork? SS card, birth certificate, HS diploma, etc? You will need those.

It's a lot more than just putting your stuff in a box and running.
I know all that already. I'm only asking about telling him, not about actually moving, I already know all I need to know about in that area, and I did say it would be in a year or two so I can save money and grow up a little more before I go.

To be clear, the issue is that my dad is expecting me to go back to college asap, specifically no later than the Fall semester, and I don't know how to tell him that, since he's already pissed that I'm not in school right now, after being in a university for 2 years.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:27 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
I know all that already. I'm only asking about telling him, not about actually moving, I already know all I need to know about in that area, and I did say it would be in a year or two so I can save money and grow up a little more before I go.

To be clear, the issue is that my dad is expecting me to go back to college asap, specifically no later than the Fall semester, and I don't know how to tell him that, since he's already pissed that I'm not in school right now, after being in a university for 2 years.

What would you be doing in a year or two between now and when you intend to return to school? Would you be working? Also, if you went to school now, in Michigan, who would be paying for it? If your father would be forking over the dough, I see no harm in going to school for two years and then moving to Florida. You can always go back to school down there and study something more to your liking.

On the other hand, if you are expected to pay for your schooling, then you should go where you want.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:29 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
I know all that already. I'm only asking about telling him, not about actually moving...
You tell him by telling him. It's that simple. "Dad, I'm going to Florida State fall semester."

He's going to blow his stack no matter how you tell him the news. That's HIS problem to deal with. As long as you've made the necessary arrangements kab0906 has mentioned, there's nothing your father can do about it. Just make sure you're not financially dependent on him for funding.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You tell him by telling him. It's that simple. "Dad, I'm going to Florida State fall semester."

He's going to blow his stack no matter how you tell him the news. That's HIS problem to deal with. As long as you've made the necessary arrangements kab0906 has mentioned, there's nothing your father can do about it. Just make sure you're not financially dependent on him for funding.
Maybe coming on here wasn't the best idea, for some reason some people aren't understanding the situation no matter how I try to explain it. I guess I'll just wait till the last minute until I absolutely have to tell him, which will probably be when he notices me not doing my FAFSA for next year, because like I said, I won't actually be leaving for Florida until a year or two from now; so when I tell him, I can count on him making my life hell for 1-2 years until I actually go.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:38 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Just say dad you raised me to be a man and I have to choose my own path just as you did. At this point you want to study in Florida.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:51 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
...I won't actually be leaving for Florida until a year or two from now; so when I tell him, I can count on him making my life hell for 1-2 years until I actually go.
You may find you'll need to depart for Florida significantly earlier than you'd planned to. If I was in your shoes, I'd already be starting my (very clandestine) job search, just to be safe.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, make your own plans, apply for financial aid at the school you want to go to, don't let your dad's attitude stop you. I know exactly how you feel about being stuck in a school with miserably limited options. You'll thrive in a bigger school with an exciting smorgasboard of courses, programs, majors, etc. Do what you need to do to get where you want. This is your life and your future we're talking about!

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships