Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 01:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
This^^^^^^^

If it were me I'd call the office and would ask to speak to someone in HR or the office manager. I'd tell them that I hadn't come in to the office because my problem had been resolved but that I was most unhappy to find that I part of someone's firing for a trumped up charge. Then I'd withdraw my business without any ambiguity.

Good grief.
Well, I think some sort of communication about this is in order. They should not have told the intern that you complained. But how did the Chiro know? You have to have told him or her, right?

Nevertheless, I would try to set the record straight; perhaps a letter stating the salient facts of the matter is in order. A letter creates a paper trail, and specifically sets the record straight as you see it. And it will state that you had not complained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:05 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How did they even know you saw and talked to him there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
....how would the chiro office even have known she talked to him outside the office if it wasn't OP who told them in the first place?
She said in her OP she told the chiropractor she'd seen the intern at the convenience store:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
t. The next time I was at the chiropractor, I mentioned seeing him there and not recognizing him simply because I wasn't used to seeing him in a different environment.
If you'd been going to the chiropractor for any length of time and have a relationship with him/her, I'd call and get their side of the story. From an HR standpoint, they likely cannot tell you the details of his dismissal but you can at least try to verify his story is true and he didn't fabricate part of it - who knows, maybe by mentioning he had another job, you accidentally outed him for a violation of his contract with the chiropractor.

And the chiropractor should know if you know longer need to come back as the one treating you. I know mine would certainly communicate that to me!

Old 12-16-2015, 04:29 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
It's HIPAA.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
Just an FYI, it's HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) not HIPPA. Sorry, I'm in an industry where this is key, so I see documents with it every day.

HIPAA does not prevent healthcare workers from saying hello to patients outside the office setting. It's related to a patient's protected health information which is not to be shared with anyone without a written authorization. So as you can see, saying hi to someone has nothing to do with it.

The way all of this happened seems fishy to me. I think there is a ton more to the story that the guy left out to make himself appear like the victim. He's one of those types that can't see his role in the problem.
THIS. I can't believe anyone would be so gullible that they'd take this guy's story at face value. There's no way I'd fly off the handle and confront the chiro office without gathering more facts first.

Seek first to understand.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK basically the intern confronted YOU. Apparently he thought you were the cause of him being fired and he let you know he "knew." I find this to be disturbing. I mean, this just doesn't seem like gracious behavior to me - unless it was in the context of an apology which it doesn't sound like from your description.

Awkward is right. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't stir the hornet's nest. Sounds like there's more to this story than you're being told. At the least it sounds like the intern may be socially inept or even confrontational. You really have no way of knowing whether or not you're getting the whole story from him (frankly, that's unlikely) and I find it REALLY weird that he felt like he had to share this story with you.
Oh no, he wasn't confrontational nor angry. His demeanor was more sad and confused, and I felt badly.

When I mentioned to my chiropractor that I'd encountered him, I definitely didn't express displeasure in him greeting me. On the contrary, I thought it was nice that he greeted me. Before moving to FL, I worked for a home health agency for 4 1/2 years, so I'm familiar with HIPAA, and I knew he hadn't violated my privacy.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Oh no, he wasn't confrontational nor angry. His demeanor was more sad and confused, and I felt badly.

When I mentioned to my chiropractor that I'd encountered him, I definitely didn't express displeasure in him greeting me. On the contrary, I thought it was nice that he greeted me. Before moving to FL, I worked for a home health agency for 4 1/2 years, so I'm familiar with HIPAA, and I knew he hadn't violated my privacy.
What I mean is how on earth did he bring YOU into the conversation, and why?

I just wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he wasn't at fault in some way. If it was really bothering me, I'd let him know that I was willing to speak up in his defense if he wanted me to - make a statement, call, whatever. And I might call the chiro office to gather more information. But I wouldn't accuse the office of something just because this person told you his half of a story.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
He may have not been a great employee and they used this as an excuse to let him go. You have no way of knowing what happened. I'd find a new convenience store and a new chiro.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:03 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
This sounds like a scam to me. Either the chiropractic office or the intern (or both) are lying. Either way, I would absolutely go to a new chiropractic office - these people sound like P.O.S. tools. It is possible they used you as an excuse to get rid of the guy, which is sickening if true.

I work in a job where people sometimes try to pull me into their bull$##% all of the time, even though I have nothing to do with their issues - and I tell them very explicitly NOT to do this. Eventually, it stops. DON'T let this intern and/or this office pull you into their problems. You have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:03 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'd find a new convenience store and a new chiro.
Done

Old 12-16-2015, 06:25 PM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
Quote:
I was seeing a local chiropractor regularly, and he was using an intern in his office to do paperwork or whatever. I stopped at a local convenience store for gas, and my receipt didn't print out. I went inside for my receipt, and the intern was behind the counter. I didn't know he had a second job, so I didn't recognize him until he addressed me by name. We spoke briefly, and then I left. The next time I was at the chiropractor, I mentioned seeing him there and not recognizing him simply because I wasn't used to seeing him in a different environment. After that, I didn't see him at the chiropractor again. Shortly thereafter was when my Dad died, and with going out to California for the funeral arrangements etc, I didn't make any future appointments for the chiropractor. The next time I was at the convenience store, the intern told me that he had been let go. He had been told that I was very upset that he spoke to me outside of the chiropractor's office and had therefore stopped coming to the office, so they told him that he had cost them a good client. I told him I never would have gotten upset by somebody greeting me as he had. I was so startled that he'd been lied to about me. For one thing, if I hadn't seen him again, he would have gone on believing the lie about me. I am upset that I was used in a lie to fire somebody. I completely stopped going to that chiropractor because of it. I think losing my business for good is enough punishment for them, but I wonder if I should have walked into the office to confront them for lying about me? However, I've never been a big fan of confrontation. What would you have done in my shoes?
I'm a firm believer, not in confrontation, but in communication. You could simply communicate your concerns to them. There might be a logical answer but at least you'll all be on the same page. For all you know, this intern wasn't telling you the truth and you totally overreacted over a false rumor. Communication is the key to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships