Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times

Advertisements

Or I should say this evening...
Got some clothes ready, going out tonight to "meet and mingle" as I had mentioned in a previous thread. I'm in a transition period, so to speak, in that I'm ditching those "friends" who have nothing better than to sit at home and wallow in self-pity! Look, we all have problems, right? Well, at least for a few hours I intend to just get the hell out of my house, meet, greet, socialize, and forget about my troubles! I may or may not meet somebody special, but I have a degree in Marketing and the gift of gab. The hardest asset to sell is yourself! I'm a little nervous, of course, but at my age it's well past the time to conquer the fear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 10:27 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Don't overthink it so much. You're turning it into a much bigger deal than it is.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Or I should say this evening...
Got some clothes ready, going out tonight to "meet and mingle" as I had mentioned in a previous thread. I'm in a transition period, so to speak, in that I'm ditching those "friends" who have nothing better than to sit at home and wallow in self-pity! Look, we all have problems, right? Well, at least for a few hours I intend to just get the hell out of my house, meet, greet, socialize, and forget about my troubles! I may or may not meet somebody special, but I have a degree in Marketing and the gift of gab. The hardest asset to sell is yourself! I'm a little nervous, of course, but at my age it's well past the time to conquer the fear!

Good luck! As the other person said, don't overthink it or you'll burden the entire experience with too many expectations and concerns. Though unlike the other poster, I think that if this is a start of a new routine for you, a new attitude, a new lifestyle, then it IS sort of a big deal. Your goal though should perhaps be to explore new experiences, and to make new friends, and this may need to involve less "gab" and less "selling yourself," and more listening and observation - and just chilling.

Just get dressed in some spiffy clothes, hang out with some people, and live in the moment! Hope you have a great time!

Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Don't overthink it so much. You're turning it into a much bigger deal than it is.
I agree. You are setting yourself up to make bad judgements and act impulsively because of your overwhelming need.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:04 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
Yes. Think of going to the event as a healthy thing to do, and think of how conquering your fear this one time will help you to do the same in the future and go to more events. It's not (or shouldn't be) about this one particular gathering.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 AM

I look at it as the opening salvo for future gatherings and events. It's the first initial step that's the hardest, but hey, I'm not jumping out of a plane!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Yes, think of this as the first step of a new habit, not an end unto itself. I always tell depressed and/or lonely people they should set a goal for going out of their houses for some purpose/social appointment at least three times a week. Have the next things planned before the one you're going to next, so if one is a dud it doesn't stop the whole train.

When you're meeting new people, ask them what kind of hobbies or interests they have that occupy their downtime constructively. You can get some ideas of other things to do. Take a class, volunteer someplace where the work interests you, join some kind of exercise program (doesn't have to be extreme, it can be for stretching, balance, etc.).

I hope you have a great time tonight but even if you don't, congratulate yourself for making the effort. Let us know how it went.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I agree with Jukesgirl and want to add - when making new friendships, don't look for what's in it for you. Look for opportunities to give, not take. When you switch your mindset from YOUR comfort and fun to the other person's, it makes a huge and very positive difference in the interactions and quality of the new relationships.

Look for ways to pay it forward.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:53 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Yes it is a big deal, go for it and have a great time. Don't pay any attention if negative posts show up, ignore them and enjoy yourself.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM

Thanks everybody!
As I see it, I have a lot to offer; no one owes me anything! I may sound martyr-ish for putting it that way, but as Ms. Aragon just stated, seeking opportunities to give. Who knows? I might just run into someone I could mentor and help lead the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships