Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 AM

221 posts, read 424,481 times

Advertisements

Were you lying when you said it?

If you lied; why?

Were you really going through something?

What were you going through? Please elaborate!

If you were going through something did it cause you to treat some people badly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Lol kittycat40, it is so difficult to take you seriously anymore.
That being said, I think your ''friend'' just doesn't want do anything with you, and instead of being rude she just said what seems a good excuse to dismiss you without any further explanations. Let it go kitty, let it go.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I think its code for----leave me alone,,,,don't ask questions.....keep away ....none of your business.....don't need your judgements

Old 01-09-2016, 08:55 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
I don't know the OP but I really hate the "going through something" business. Either don't bring it up at all or be prepared to share enough detail if you have to talk about things to not be "terribly mysterious" and create some understanding. Frankly I prefer the former unless I'm pretty close to someone. Either share or not but the half-arsed "going through something" is just plain aggravating and often a childish way of excusing bad behavior in my experience.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
It either means "I'm going through something and I am not close enough to you to share what it is" or "I need an excuse to not talk to you or hang out with you." No, no one has ever said that to me because I know how to take a hint.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:56 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Okay I get what is going on. OP you have to understand when someone else is telling you to "come no closer". Like I responded in my PM, you are being disappointed and the natural and healthy way to respond to the situation is to remain at a distance for your own good as well as the other person involved. I'm sorry things haven't and won't work out to your satisfaction but it just won't. It is what it is. Time to cut your losses and move on. Easier said than done but it is an imperative.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:49 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
It means: I have something personal in my life that I need to focus on and attend to and I do not need or want to share and discuss it with you or anybody else. Please honor my privacy, leave me alone, and get out of my face.

I have said it, meant it, not lied about it. If someone has not heeded my request, they have been duly dealt with and are not considered a close friend to me. Friends understand when someone needs space without needing an explanation - and are mature enough to just be there when you need them.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:21 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
Were you lying when you said it?

If you lied; why?

Were you really going through something?

What were you going through? Please elaborate!

If you were going through something did it cause you to treat some people badly?
I have told people that. Usually it was a lie, just a way to let them know that I wanted them to stop contacting me. Sometimes it's difficult to tell someone the truth (like, "Leave me alone. I don't want your friendship.") because it's awkward and embarrassing, and you never know what the person's reaction will be. It can be a very volatile situation.

That said, it has also been the absolute truth on occasion--a break-up, depression, anxiety, drug/alcohol abuse/recovery, death in the family, etc.

I have treated people badly at times. Nobody's perfect.

Could you elaborate? Are you going through a similar situation?

Regards,
Jo

Old 01-09-2016, 11:51 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
#1. Have you ever told someone that you were "GOING THROUGH SOMETHING"?

No, I never say that. I usually don't chat with others. But I am male so I think that's more in the female realm....

But if I WAS "Going through something" II usually DON'T share with others as they're NOT part of my family/Life/Situation.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:55 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Have you ever told someone that you were "GOING THROUGH SOMETHING"?

Yes.

And when he ignored everything I said and still wouldn't leave me alone, I ran over him with my car.

Huh. I guess I really was "GOING THROUGH SOMETHING"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships