Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:43 AM

775 posts, read 776,559 times

Advertisements

I gave my neighbors lemons off my new trees, with a card that said we really appreciated having great neighbors. They loved it! One if them just moved in and the other has been there 15 years. It is never the wrong thing to do. When I was a kid we gave our meat bones to the neighbors for their dogs. It is never wrong to share, even if you can't spend time with them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 07:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'd go for gift certificate, or some baked goods done by a professional. Someone bringing me baked goods from their home does not get eaten...not their fault, I've just seen how unsanitary far too many people are.
I take homemade baked goods to the neighbors pretty often and they'll eat them while we're standing there talking. I used to send baked goods to my kids' teachers and they'd talk about the flavors I used, so I know they ate them. I also send stuff to work with my husband and it gets gobbled up. A lot of people actually like the idea of homemade stuff, especially people who don't bake.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:26 PM

105 posts, read 95,969 times
Truthfully, it was kind of her to save you trouble and point out the problem, but a sincere thank you note in the mailbox is good enough. The idea that you need to go out of your way to buy someone a gift for being a decent neighbor is a bit much. If you'd really like to do something extra, you could address it in the thank you note, offering to take her out for lunch sometime..You said she keeps to herself, If you want to get to know her better this would be a good way to start a dialogue.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbirdcat View Post
Truthfully, it was kind of her to save you trouble and point out the problem, but a sincere thank you note in the mailbox is good enough. The idea that you need to go out of your way to buy someone a gift for being a decent neighbor is a bit much. If you'd really like to do something extra, you could address it in the thank you note, offering to take her out for lunch sometime..You said she keeps to herself, If you want to get to know her better this would be a good way to start a dialogue.
Why would that be above & beyond? Being a friend makes a friend. I think it's a marvelous idea to reward a good deed with a good deed.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Banana bread and a nice note.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:17 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I take homemade baked goods to the neighbors pretty often and they'll eat them while we're standing there talking. I used to send baked goods to my kids' teachers and they'd talk about the flavors I used, so I know they ate them. I also send stuff to work with my husband and it gets gobbled up. A lot of people actually like the idea of homemade stuff, especially people who don't bake.
On the flip side, there are a lot of people who don't or cannot eat baked goods for various reasons. Especially, since so many people start a weight loss program as a new year's resolution. I would not assume that baked goods are a safe choice. Unless I'm certain it's something they'd enjoy, I'd go with a "safe" something such as a gift card, flowers, or a return kindness such as shoveling snow.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:31 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I agree. Never thought in those lines. Another thing I did for my neighbors is to watch their little girl while the mom quickly ran to the store or wanted to take a shower. How well I remembered those days! The hassle of bundling up a little one, when you'd forgotten to get something at the store & also trying to take a shower while your little one was sleeping. That was probably more helpful than baked goods.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Likewise, a lot of people don't.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:00 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I'm another who doesn't think baked goods are a good idea. As mentioned, possible dietary restrictions, plus if she's alone she may prefer some help around the yard.

At this point, I think a nice note if you must but I'd just wait until an opportunity to help her in some way would be more neighborly and less formal.

Helping a neighbor isn't necessarily a quid pro quo thing. It's just someone helping when it's needed or wanted.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:50 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,064 times
I cant believe there is a thread about this....people used to just sort of, know what to do to say Thank You.

Sad times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships