Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 AM

404 posts, read 480,762 times

Advertisements

Over the last few years I've developed a friendship with a woman who's become my closet friend. My wife is ok with this, they are friends now, too. But the friendship primarily is between us. She is not married. However, nothing is going on outside of enjoying each other's company while doing the things we have in common.

She has had some of her female friends make comments about the 'appropriateness' of the situation. A couple of my friends sort of wink and nod. Other people ask about the situation without judgement, they don't know my wife and think she is her, they ask her if she's dating me now not realizing that I'm married, etc.

I'm opening the floor for others in my situation and thoughts and comments. We just seem to have taken a little more heat about the friendship and it sort of surprises me. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:07 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Were you married before you met this other woman? Is she straight, about your age and relatively attractive? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then the only one you are fooling is yourself. It's a recipe for the end of your marriage, even if it takes a while to happen. Something will eventually happen.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
You and your wife are happy with the friendship and as long as it is just friendship and you hide nothing from your wife is it really that important what others *ASSume*? Let me tell you, it isn't even worth the time and energy you put into starting this thread. Humans are ignorant and have the belief that men and women cannot be friends, ignore them and find friends who are not so ignorant and judgemental.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:11 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Why you cannot be the best friend with your wife? But why bother about what other thinks if your wife is okay with it then I don't see no problem.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Were you married before you met this other woman? Is she straight, about your age and relatively attractive? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then the only one you are fooling is yourself. It's a recipe for the end of your marriage, even if it takes a while to happen. Something will eventually happen.
No it won't, Mr. CSD has had the same female friends for much longer than I have been sharing his life and there has not been any issues at all and he even spends time with these female friends alone.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Lucky that you are not my husband. I think that says all. Why you cannot be the best friend with your wife?
Why don't you trust your husband enough to not be insecure about his friendship with a woman?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:15 AM

189 posts, read 361,761 times
Now I know why you go by dirtydan57

Old 01-27-2016, 06:25 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
my wife is often out with her male cousin, they have several things in common of which I have no interest, nothing "funny" is going on, they just enjoy each others company.
oh yes, and I trust my wife.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why don't you trust your husband enough to not be insecure about his friendship with a woman?
For a moment I was selfish I think, or something came to my mind related to my ex may be, but I have edited the post. By the way I have no husband if I have I am sure I will take a day or two off while his BFF woman do all the duties at home

Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 AM

404 posts, read 480,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
We've been married for 33 years, she is straight, my age and is a nice looking woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You and your wife are happy with the friendship and as long as it is just friendship and you hide nothing from your wife is it really that important what others *ASSume*? Let me tell you, it isn't even worth the time and energy you put into starting this thread. Humans are ignorant and have the belief that men and women cannot be friends, ignore them and find friends who are not so ignorant and judgemental.
I like to try to contribute to the forum and I'm certainly not obsessing over this situation. I was just somewhat surprised by the reaction to the situation and I thought it might make an entertaining thread to see what 'the forum' thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Why you cannot be the best friend with your wife? But why bother about what other thinks if your wife is okay with it then I don't see no problem.
The relationship with my wife is great, which is what I think makes her secure enough to not worry about the friendship. The wife and I are great friends, so please don't think when I say my BFF is a woman that it precludes friendship with my wife. It's simply a term signifying that of my circle of friends, I am closest to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships