Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:12 PM

404 posts, read 480,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
If a married straight man can't have female friends, then I feel bad for any married bisexuals.
Friendship prospected restricted to asexuals I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 02:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I have a woman friend of mine that goes back to when we were 14-15 years old. I'm 44 now, so we've been friends for 30 years. I got married 7 years ago, after knowing my wife for 3, so 10 years total.

When we first got married, I had a sales job where I worked from home. My friend lived in the same town we did, but I didn't have any other friends that lived close by.

When my wife had a work function or was going out with her friends, I would normally call my friend to see if she wanted to hang out or get dinner.

At first, my wife was jealous of this, but it was completely irrational on her part. After spending more time with my friend, she eventually realized there was nothing going on and got over it. But for awhile, she tried to dictate when I was "allowed" to hang out with her, and it caused several arguments. I told her I wasn't about to cut a friend out of my life who had known me for over 20 years because of her insecurities. I meant it too, I would have divorced her if she hadn't come around. I didn't forbid her from seeing any of her friends, I wasn't about to let her do that to me.

My wife had been cheated on by her previous long term boyfriend before me, so I can see where she was coming from to an extent. However, I'm not her ex and I'm not the reason she had trust issues.

As I said, eventually she got over it and she's no longer as jealous or petty about some things like she used to be, but it did cause a lot more drama than it needed to. Some people just can't deal with it. If some people are so concerned that there would be temptation to cheat, I would say that they simply do not possess the willpower to do the right thing.
ThomasCrown:

Regarding the bolded parts in pink...

To me time spent one on one with any opposite sex person is a date... especially dinner.

And it does not matter how long the two of you have been friends.

I could not tolerate that behavior as a wife.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
The three of us do many things together. This weekend the 3 of us are going to Chicago to see a Buddy Guy show. I think my wife sees how her and I relate and interact and it gives the wife a chance to watch for non-verbal clues of infidelity, body language, a look, etc. She sees it's on the level and just isn't concerned. Not to mention, the wife and I are close enough that I don't think a torrid affair could go unnoticed. Sure, my friend and I could do the mattress dance once and get away with it. But an ongoing affair? It would show!

BTW - is that the Steve McQueen or Pierce Brosnan Thomas Crown?
OP:

Regarding the bolded part in pink...

Would you actually do that as a married man?

Would you actually do this considering your female friend is also friends with your wife?

Would your female friend actually do this considering she is friends with you and your wife?

And yes, OP, I am a married female.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I have no problem with hubby having women friends and he has no problem with me having male friends. We've both been to lunch, dinner, etc. with them without spouse. I still consider them just good friends and my hubby as my best friend.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
OP:

Regarding the bolded part in pink...

Would you actually do that as a married man?

Would you actually do this considering your female friend is also friends with your wife?

Would your female friend actually do this considering she is friends with you and your wife?

And yes, OP, I am a married female.
No, no and no.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 PM

OP:

Are you attracted to your female friend in any way?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Unless she's a long time friend that you knew before you met your wife then it's inappropriate. Even if she is a long time friend then your wife should present when you're hanging out with her.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:42 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Consider me old fashioned or square, but I can't imagine having a woman as a BFF if I was married to another woman.

To the point that I'd be hanging out with the BFF, chatting with her, etc.

Just sounds inappropriate to me personally, and a recipe for potential disaster.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
OP:

Are you attracted to your female friend in any way?
In any way covers a lot of territory. We're friends, we enjoy each other's company in the way that good friends do, so yea, I am attracted to her in that way. Am I suppressing sexual desire for her, no. Nor do I believe she thinks like that about me, either.

We really just like hanging out. We both shoot pool league so on a Friday or Saturday night we meet and practice for a few hours and go home. Maybe if a movie is playing we're both interested in we'll see a matinee, just friend stuff.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Unless she's a long time friend that you knew before you met your wife then it's inappropriate. Even if she is a long time friend then your wife should present when you're hanging out with her.
^^^^^ This

I agree with this.

Any activity that the OP and his female friend engage in, his wife needs to be present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships