Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:38 PM

820 posts, read 972,167 times

Advertisements

I want to ask a good friend to prom, but I would rather ask the old-fashioned way than the creative way, because I am a more personal type. I plan to ask her when we are bowling, because that is what we always do with our friends. However, I feel like if I ask her the old-fashioned way at bowling, she'd think to herself, "Why couldn't he ask me on the scoreboard or do something else creative?" I feel like she might think it's lazy for me to ask the old-fashioned way. I would say something personal, like, "There's been something I've been wanting to ask you for a while. Will you go to prom with me?" Do you girls think the old-fashioned way is a bad way to ask someone to prom and can't compare to a creative way? Or am I okay asking this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 02:41 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
If most of her friends are getting prom proposals, I would ask her in a creative way.

My sons both went with friends, and they still had to go through the whole rigmarole of coming up with some surprising idea.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If most of her friends are getting prom proposals, I would ask her in a creative way.

My sons both went with friends, and they still had to go through the whole rigmarole of coming up with some surprising idea.
This is the tough part. This girl is in college, so a lot of friends her age won't be getting prom posals. However, since she is such a good friend, she is whom I want to bring.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
I want to ask a good friend to prom, but I would rather ask the old-fashioned way than the creative way, because I am a more personal type. I plan to ask her when we are bowling, because that is what we always do with our friends. However, I feel like if I ask her the old-fashioned way at bowling, she'd think to herself, "Why couldn't he ask me on the scoreboard or do something else creative?" I feel like she might think it's lazy for me to ask the old-fashioned way. I would say something personal, like, "There's been something I've been wanting to ask you for a while. Will you go to prom with me?" Do you girls think the old-fashioned way is a bad way to ask someone to prom and can't compare to a creative way? Or am I okay asking this way?
You kids watch too much TV. Everything has to be dramatic or creative or super-romantic. If you want to be creative and old-fashioned at the same time, give her a card at bowling. Or buy her a milkshake with a little flag in it that pops the question. Or take her to a dessert place afterwards, and have a pre-ordered cake delivered to the table that says, "Will you go to Prom with me?"

But remember the guys who do a big dramatic marriage proposal in public, like in the middle of a crowded restaurant, only to get turned down in front of a roomful of strangers. The more you go out on a limb, the farther you have to go if you crash.

You're not asking her to marry you. It's just a school dance. Sheesh.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
This is the tough part. This girl is in college, so a lot of friends her age won't be getting prom posals. However, since she is such a good friend, she is whom I want to bring.
So wait ... You are in high school and she's in college?

If that's the case, just ask her. NBD

Old 03-04-2016, 02:51 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with the old fashioned way. After she accepts, say something like, "I thought you would appreciate being asked the old fashioned way." or "I thought a collegian would prefer an old fashioned invitation over a promposal.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So wait ... You are in high school and she's in college?

If that's the case, just ask her. NBD
Yes, that's right. But she is my only female friend and the girl in my life I'm closest to that is not a family member.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:22 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Ok, I'm 56 years old. I'm somewhat old school but, here's an idea.
Go buy a nice corsage and secretly take it with you when you go bowling.
After you get to the alley, get your ball out of your bag, get your shoes on - get ready for the first frame, take the corsage out and walk up to her as if you were putting it on. She's going to ask, what are you doing and you're going to reply with, I'm seeing how beautiful you'll be when I pin a corsage on you the night I pick you up to take you to prom, if you'll go with me?

If that doesn't get her to go, nothing will.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Ok, I'm 56 years old. I'm somewhat old school but, here's an idea.
Go buy a nice corsage and secretly take it with you when you go bowling.
After you get to the alley, get your ball out of your bag, get your shoes on - get ready for the first frame, take the corsage out and walk up to her as if you were putting it on. She's going to ask, what are you doing and you're going to reply with, I'm seeing how beautiful you'll be when I pin a corsage on you the night I pick you up to take you to prom, if you'll go with me?

If that doesn't get her to go, nothing will.

Good luck!
I love your idea, but I do not have my own ball.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:33 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:
I love your idea, but I do not have my own ball.
Can you borrow one? I love that idea, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships