Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You kids watch too much TV. Everything has to be dramatic or creative or super-romantic. If you want to be creative and old-fashioned at the same time, give her a card at bowling. Or buy her a milkshake with a little flag in it that pops the question. Or take her to a dessert place afterwards, and have a pre-ordered cake delivered to the table that says, "Will you go to Prom with me?"

But remember the guys who do a big dramatic marriage proposal in public, like in the middle of a crowded restaurant, only to get turned down in front of a roomful of strangers. The more you go out on a limb, the farther you have to go if you crash.

You're not asking her to marry you. It's just a school dance. Sheesh.
Yes, all of this. The "promposal" thing has gotten idiotic. Guys everywhere will applaud if you manage to get a date without jumping through hoops. Just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 05:01 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
I want to ask a good friend to prom, but I would rather ask the old-fashioned way than the creative way, because I am a more personal type. I plan to ask her when we are bowling, because that is what we always do with our friends. However, I feel like if I ask her the old-fashioned way at bowling, she'd think to herself, "Why couldn't he ask me on the scoreboard or do something else creative?" I feel like she might think it's lazy for me to ask the old-fashioned way. I would say something personal, like, "There's been something I've been wanting to ask you for a while. Will you go to prom with me?" Do you girls think the old-fashioned way is a bad way to ask someone to prom and can't compare to a creative way? Or am I okay asking this way?
I feel for you -- I think it's an insane amount of pressure for a teenage guy to turn an invitation to a frickin' dance into a huge swoon-worthy production. I mean -- it's not an engagement. It's not marriage. It's just a DANCE.

Rebel! Don't fall for it! If she can't appreciate a heart-felt and sincere invitation, it's her loss. I mean, it's not as though she's going to be surprised when you ask her, is she?

Although, I'd probably wait until you two were alone to ask her, instead of with a group of friends. And no texting the question!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:28 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Quote:
I love your idea, but I do not have my own ball.
Only do this if you are absolutely sure she's going to say yes. Otherwise, you risk big embarrassment for yourself, and more importantly, for her.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I feel for you -- I think it's an insane amount of pressure for a teenage guy to turn an invitation to a frickin' dance into a huge swoon-worthy production. I mean -- it's not an engagement. It's not marriage. It's just a DANCE.

Rebel! Don't fall for it! If she can't appreciate a heart-felt and sincere invitation, it's her loss. I mean, it's not as though she's going to be surprised when you ask her, is she?
!
Yes, this.

0P, here is a good life lesson for you to learn early:
A girl who needs to have you do a big production about something like this is not worth your time either as a friend or in a romantic relationship. Women (or just people in general) who make you jump through hoops for them are best avoided. Your life will be much easier and happier if you learn that these are not quality people and should be avoided whenever possible.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:00 PM

820 posts, read 973,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

Although, I'd probably wait until you two were alone to ask her, instead of with a group of friends. And no texting the question!
We are never alone, always with other friends. Would it be better to pull her aside and ask her or ask her over the phone?

Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
We are never alone, always with other friends. Would it be better to pull her aside and ask her or ask her over the phone?
Either is fine. If she is going to go with you, she will go no matter how you ask her.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,824 times
OP, make sure your school allows for college-aged prom dates before you ask. Some school districts put age limits on prom dates. (I'm glad that didn't happen to me! I took my now-husband to my senior prom. He was 24!)

I agree with the others about the promposals. It's too much of a big deal these days.

Good luck to you, and report back! We want to know how it goes!

Old 03-05-2016, 12:24 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
I hate drama, and I hated the prom when I was in high school skipped them all. If you want to take her to the prom, just ask her.

If she wants drama, you're better off without her,

Free advice, right there.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:55 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,593 times
Being yourself and asking in a way that you are most comfortable with will put you at ease when the time comes, and she should recognize the genuineness of it. Is this a relationship you want to cultivate? Being honest to who you are can set the tone and expectations for the future.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:27 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
Do you want this to be romantic or are you just asking her to go as a friend since you want to go to prom and have no one else?

If this is just a friend thing, do NOT do any cutesy romantic junk. Just ask her.

If it is romantic, I have doubts a college girl is going to go gooey over a corsage or whatever... Prom is no longer the big deal it is to high schoolers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships