Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,261,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just another thought....to be independent in the "cold, cruel world" you will need established credit, which I'll bet you don't have yet. Things like a credit card--make sure it reports to the credit bureau--car loan, length of employment, all help.

Just do a simple little exercise. Pick 2 or 3 apartment complexes, preferably not ones you would really consider, and ask what type of deposit they require, what type of income, what credit score required, etc
Maybe go so far as to apply to a place you're really not interested in, just to see what they say.Many require established credit, or a co-signer, like your parents.

I'm not trying to criticize the OP ideas, just letting her know what she could be facing.

BTW, have you really analyzed why you don't like college? Is it the subjects, the atmosphere, perhaps in an area or people that make you feel uncomfortable? It could be the situation, not "college" itself. Perhaps at least look into other colleges, go visit, see what kind of vibes you pick up. Something turned you off to college, but don't just completely dismiss it as an option for the future. Good Luck
Very good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
I might not have made my intentions with my post clear.

I am only looking for advice on how to communicate to my parents in a way that would upset them/freak them out the least when letting them know I am not going to college and how to prepare for questions.

I am not asking what people think about my plan. I do not care what people think about my plan. And no, college is not an option for me, and that's my choice.
I don't understand why this is a big deal. Just tell them.

They're entitled to react in any way they want to. You have no duty to minimize their upset or discomfort, but you also don't get to dictate their reaction. Answer their questions honestly.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,227,954 times
The best way to tell them is to show them. Go out and get a job, move out of their house, buy your own insurance food clothes, pay your own bills. THEN let them know that you aren't going back to school because you can support yourself.

Telling them that you aren't going back to school while they are fully supporting you could backfire on you. When our son told us he wan't going back to school we said ok. BUT we also told him that he wouldn't be getting rent money from us, his phone would be removed from our phone plan, and he needed to cover all expenses and his insurance himself. If he wanted to be an adult, he needed to take on adult responsibilities. He reconsidered, and is going to graduate this year.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,928,459 times
Get your diploma, and then be a bum for awhile if you want.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:05 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,081,593 times
You're an adult, just tell them. College isn't for everybody and you shouldn't be crapped on for not going. I know people who make way more than me with no degree actually. You are young, you could very well change your mind and go back later. I took time off. I honestly had NO idea what I wanted to go for and the debt was just racking up. I got my associates in Business Management and went to work. Suddenly what I wanted hit me and now I am back for my Bachelors. Is it harder doing it while in the real world and not being a traditional college student? Yes, but it's not impossible. My parents weren't paying for my college. It was my debt and my money, so the choice was mine.

Just be prepared. The real world is real. Have a REAL plan. Let them know your plan. You have all summer to prepare, to save, to do what you need to do. My parents didn't tell me I had to move out when I didn't get my bachelors, but I did have to pay rent and all my own bills.

College may not be for you, but you still need to have drive and a good work ethic. Working for min. wage will make it really hard to pay the bills. Struggling is not fun and I refused to do it forever. Find a job with a company that has good benefits and has growth opportunities. Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
You're an adult, just tell them. College isn't for everybody and you shouldn't be crapped on for not going. I know people who make way more than me with no degree actually. You are young, you could very well change your mind and go back later. I took time off. I honestly had NO idea what I wanted to go for and the debt was just racking up. I got my associates in Business Management and went to work. Suddenly what I wanted hit me and now I am back for my Bachelors. Is it harder doing it while in the real world and not being a traditional college student? Yes, but it's not impossible. My parents weren't paying for my college. It was my debt and my money, so the choice was mine.

Just be prepared. The real world is real. Have a REAL plan. Let them know your plan. You have all summer to prepare, to save, to do what you need to do. My parents didn't tell me I had to move out when I didn't get my bachelors, but I did have to pay rent and all my own bills.

College may not be for you, but you still need to have drive and a good work ethic. Working for min. wage will make it really hard to pay the bills. Struggling is not fun and I refused to do it forever. Find a job with a company that has good benefits and has growth opportunities. Good Luck.

What do these people do? How long ago did they start their careers?

How exactly is the OP supposed to find a company with good benefits and growth opportunities without any post-secondary education?

Old 03-23-2016, 02:30 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,081,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What do these people do? How long ago did they start their careers?

How exactly is the OP supposed to find a company with good benefits and growth opportunities without any post-secondary education?
Where I work right now, store managers make great money. AND they get bonuses of 70-100k. That's on top of their salary and commission. No college education required (many have no degrees past high school). All your training is done through the company. My previous job, managers made decent money, no college education required. Training done through the company. Of course you have to work your way up, it's not handed to you. You have to want it and have the drive.

My dad is a factory worker and makes 60k a year. No college education.
My brother is 21 and making 40k a year. No college education. And that's really good for his age. He's been at this current job a year and a half.
My uncle works at a car dealership, no college education. Makes around 80k.
My aunt works as a supervisor at some local company, makes around 80k. No college education.
I have a cousin who is corrections officer. She has great benefits with the state and a decent pay wage. She's not living large by any means, but she's doing just fine.

Of course these people worked VERY hard and worked their way up. You aren't going to graduate from college making 100k either (typically). You also have to know how to manage your money.

I am not dissing college education. I have a degree and I am getting another degree. But I also know what its like to have a ton of debt to go with it. At the end of the day, a typical 4 year college degree is just not for everybody. I'm sure after a few years of working min wage, working multiple jobs, etc.. the OP might look into certificates or getting a full degree, but for now she wanted advice on how to tell her parents and "get by" and that's how you get by. She'll learn. Not going back and experiencing the real world might be exactly what the OP needs. Not everybody will be the people I listed above, especially with no drive or ambition. The OP will see that.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:35 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,806,506 times
Quote:
Where I work right now, store managers make great money. AND they get bonuses of 70-100k. That's on top of their salary and commission. No college education required (many have no degrees past high school). All your training is done through the company. My previous job, managers made decent money, no college education required. Training done through the company. Of course you have to work your way up, it's not handed to you. You have to want it and have the drive.

My dad is a factory worker and makes 60k a year. No college education.
My brother is 21 and making 40k a year. No college education. And that's really good for his age. He's been at this current job a year and a half.
My uncle works at a car dealership, no college education. Makes around 80k.
My aunt works as a supervisor at some local company, makes around 80k. No college education.
I have a cousin who is corrections officer. She has great benefits with the state and a decent pay wage. She's not living large by any means, but she's doing just fine.

Of course these people worked VERY hard and worked their way up. You aren't going to graduate from college making 100k either (typically). You also have to know how to manage your money.

I am not dissing college education. I have a degree and I am getting another degree. But I also know what its like to have a ton of debt to go with it. At the end of the day, a typical 4 year college degree is just not for everybody. I'm sure after a few years of working min wage, working multiple jobs, etc.. the OP might look into certificates or getting a full degree, but for now she wanted advice on how to tell her parents and "get by" and that's how you get by. She'll learn. Not going back and experiencing the real world might be exactly what the OP needs. Not everybody will be the people I listed above, especially with no drive or ambition. The OP will see that.

of course there are cases of people doing very well without a degree of any kind. Some people can't "comprehend"

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 03-23-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 04:12 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,529,520 times
Quote:

Why does she have all summer to plan and save? I assume that she is not in school right now. If she doesn't have a job (or two or three), she should be looking now. As soon as she gets a few paychecks in the bank, she should be looking for an apartment to rent. All along she should be paying for her clothing and toiletries, car and insurance, entertainment and food (maybe buying groceries for the household). This way, her parents know that she has seriously considered this option and has taken steps to obtain her present goal. It's better to say that "I don't think that college is right for me now. I've got job so that I can start paying my own way" rather than "I don't think college is for me now so I guess that I'll be looking for a job soon."

Old 03-23-2016, 04:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't understand why this is a big deal. Just tell them.

They're entitled to react in any way they want to. You have no duty to minimize their upset or discomfort, but you also don't get to dictate their reaction. Answer their questions honestly.
^^^^Exactly this ^^^^
You say you don't care what people think of your plan or lack thereof then I don't get why you care what your parents think.
I'm also pretty sure that they're aware of your leanings and motivations or lack thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships