Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 04:19 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,725 times

Advertisements

Trouble at home. . Long story short, my husband is miserable at his job, and he's taking it out on me and the baby. I am mentally exhausted, and I don't even know what to tell him anymore. I don't believe in giving up but I feel like have to send some sort of wake-up call to him. I need to pour my little heart out here.

It's quite silly to me; we are surviving, the lights are on, food is in the fridge, monthly bills are paid...we are much better off than we could have been. I see this as a minor set-back; I believe in my husband but I guess he doesn't believe in himself. On to specifics:

My husband got fired from his job last summer. He had it about a year, he was paid well as a manager. He had been working for the company several years prior in entry-level and supervisory positions and won many awards for his efforts, including "employee of the year!" Management was hard work but he got through it, and even seemed to like it. He was fired for stupid mistakes on his part--honestly I think he deserved a second chance but of course that's up to his bosses. I won't deny he was wrong but everyone makes mistakes.

During this summer I was expecting our first child. Finally we were getting a child we've always wanted, and especially what my husband wanted, a boy!. I was working a job for a store I didn't really like, but I wound up staying for six years. I took the job in the first place because back then we were both unemployed, and it was not an option to wait around for a better job. I stayed because I was afraid if I left we would be in trouble again. When I found out I was expecting my husband and I decided that I would be a stay-at-home mother. This is what I've always wanted because my own mother decided to be a workaholic and I felt left in the dust. His mother stayed at home which in his culture is the rule not the exception like it is here.

Well my husband was fired just days before our son was born. So then we had no income and no insurance. Thank God we had a healthy baby boy with only a couple minor issues that were solved immediately. He is just...awesome. Of course I think my baby is the cutest and the smartest.

About two weeks after our son was born my husband found a new job in the same industry, but he was doing the same amount of work for much less pay. He got the job through a friend who used to work with him at the previous place. He had negative feelings about the new place from the beginning, but I suppose he was just grateful to find a job so quickly. About three weeks after my son was born I started a new job at a fast-food restaurant. I felt like I "had to do something" in the face of my husband's struggles though it made a lot more sense to stay home with our boy and let my body recover.

Now about six months later not much has changed in our situation. My husband still has the same job, and he still hates it. I work nights; previously four nights a week, now cut down to two, but it's still very hard for me to keep changing between night and day. I still don't sleep at night even though I try because our son sleeps very well at night now, so that means I get only bits and pieces of sleep. The medical bills from delivery and subsequent doctors' visits are almost all paid now, thanks to my small income and money my parents gave (we did not ask, but they wanted to help).

I told my husband that once those medical bills are paid, I want to quit my job and focus on our son like we planned to do in the first place. He had an attitude like "do whatever<snip> you want." I could tell he was upset but wouldn't admit it. So I asked him what was the matter and he was very angry and told me how I contribute "nothing" and all I think about is myself. He says I whine about being tired all the time and have no right because he's earning all the money. I earn little and almost all of that has gone to medical bills and maybe gas a couple of times, and I have never asked my husband to contribute a cent to those bills (some of which were really high due to lack of insurance). In addition I have taken huge amounts of money out of savings to cover what his income couldn't at times.

Suddenly he has forgotten everything from the past. He came to this country with a small suitcase of clothes. I helped him get citizenship, supported him the first couple of years when he could not find a job, took him to classes to learn English, found him his first job in the company where he did so well (even filled out the application), and more. And now had his baby. I don't think I deserve a trophy or anything for what I've done, I did it because I loved him and decided to marry him; I believe we are a team and we should help one another. Now he's shouting at me, "I paid for THIS!" and "I paid for THAT!" All that matters to him is the present, not the past or future.

Our son loves his daddy, daddy's his favorite person. I have offered my husband to stay home and I will work. He says he can't stay home and "do nothing," and that he doubts I can find a good enough job anyway. Plus it's my fault we had to move to a nice home (not a problem two years ago, and we both signed the papers!) when we could have remained in our cheap old apartment in a bad neighborhood. He has called me a "b----" and I never thought he would do that; in fact that's why I fell in love with him because of how I grew up. Worse, he curses and screams at our baby when he cries a little longer than usual. My husband is like "black and white" when he's with our son, either plays with him and makes him laugh, or shouts at him and scares him. I get scared of his anger too; I have seen him angry before but now it is like he's possessed when he's angry. I don't know what happened.

So why am I still here? I have packed a bag and left a couple of times, but he tells me he's sorry and that it will be different. And he does get a little better. But what I find out is that though his language changes, his anger and/or resentment hasn't. He doesn't do anything to change his job situation. He has gotten calls from other jobs offering more money or at least less stress and responsibilities, but he doesn't call them back. There are many jobs in his industry all over our area, but he won't apply (spring is a big deal in his industry due to the Kentucky Derby coming up). Like I said, our monthly bills are paid, but we're paycheck-to-paycheck so he's acting like we're completely broke. He flips out if I even suggest another job I've found; "you think it's so easy! You don't know nothing!" Kind of a preview for teenage years? So I usually back away. I have been trying to convince him that this is just a bump in the road, that he'll find something better, but like I said, he only sees the present. I am getting tired of being his personal cheerleader. A couple nights ago we had another huge blow-out and he laughed at me while I cried and reminded him of what I have done for him (once again he was saying I did nothing). I said "yeah keep laughing you son-of-a-b----" and slammed the door in his face. I have NEVER, ever called anyone that and that has shown me how far this is going.

I try to understand that he has pressures from many sides now. Now my husband is the only breadwinner for the first time. He's a father for the first time. He was humiliated by losing his last job. His work is mentally and physically demanding. His family in the old country expects money too (though he wouldn't send any when he was making more). I understand that this is not the time to give up.

Sorry for the book. The thing is now I'm going to visit my family in another state for Easter. I'm taking our son and my husband is staying behind because of work. My mother has been begging us to move in with her for a long time. I wonder if I should take up her offer.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-25-2016 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: snipped the filtered word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 05:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I'm not sure you should go back.

Tell your parents everything you wrote here.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:19 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintlelli View Post
I wonder if I should take up her offer.
Absolutely.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:24 AM

66 posts, read 48,723 times
I would move in with your parents and refuse to go back until you have a few months of counseling under your belts. Your husband is reacting as a child, blaming everyone else for problems and lashing out, rather than as an adult who looks at a problem and makes a plan and treats their spouse as a team member, rather than the person convenient to blame for unhappiness.

Counseling can help, IF he is willing to make significant changes in what he considers to be acceptable ways to deal with people. But many people are not willing to make those changes and you should spend the time living with your parents preparing for life without your husband (including some kind of professional certification so that you can earn real money).

Old 03-25-2016, 06:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I wouldn't tell your parents everything. That could come back to bite you. Your husband sounds depressed about not being able to support the family. That's no excuse for his behavior though.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Your husband has a serious anger problem, and may be a time bomb ready to explode.

Tell him you and baby are frightened when he acts out and you are not coming back until he gets help with managing his anger.

It is up to him to fix his own problem. Don't allow him to make you feel any of his guilt.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:04 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Wow, so many changes in just a few months.

The breadwinner losing his job, having a baby with no insurance, the new mom starting a job before fully recovering from having a baby, the change of having a new baby in the house, wow.

I agree that you may need a trial separation. I bet that even a week or two of a good night's sleep away from each other may make a tremendous difference. But several months apart would probably be the best.

Try to find a marriage counselor that will do counseling sessions via Skype so you can discuss your issues together even though you are living several states apart.

This may be a dumb question, but since your husband is not used to American laws I want to ask. Is he aware that he will need to pay child support until his child is 18 and maybe even spousal support to you for a while? Because, if you move out and he suddenly has his entire paycheck to spend on himself (and to send back to family) he may not want to share it again. He may think that because the baby is with you his responsibility is over for caring financially for his child. Just something to think about.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:54 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintlelli View Post

I want to quit my job and focus on our son like we planned to do in the first place.

How can you possibly be so selfish as to think of quitting your job? If anything, you should be working harder at finding a better job with more hours.

Just because you helped him in the past does not change the fact that you got pregnant when you couldn't truly afford it and now your husband is under tremendous pressure to support his family. No wonder he is acting out when his wife is doing less & less to help support the family, and is now wanting to be a stay at home mom!

So yes, go home to Mommy. Your husband doesn't deserve to have to put up with this.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Wow. Your husband needs some counseling. Maybe an extended stay with your parents is in order. He may rethink your role when you're not there performing it. Have you been away at all since this happened?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Move home. It sounds like your husband is on his way toward abuse with his anger at you and the baby. Now he is name calling and blaming. Once he hits you that first time you should never, ever, go back. Now is your best shot to save your marriage by moving away. Let him get a handle on himself and his actions before he goes too far.

The worst thing that could happen is that you raise your son in a loving environment at your parents house.

If you stay you are raising your son in an abusive environment. To me that is non-negotiable. I would be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships