Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:50 AM

21,981 posts, read 13,019,895 times

Advertisements

It's a strange -- and complicated -- situation, so I'll try to cut to the chase rather than write a novel.

Basically, my only sibling, an older brother, married a woman who was an only child and Army "brat" who was raised in countries all over the world far away from any relatives and not having lived in any place long enough to make close friends. As a result (at least I assume this is why), she holds a view of "family" which is just her own little family. In fact, before they married and before she even MET us, she informed him that she was marrying him and not his family. To wit, when they married, she wanted no co-mingling of the two families and considered her family to be her parents and, then, her husband. When children came, it was her parents, husband, and children. Now that her parents have passed, it's her husband and children. That is: holidays are celebrated with THAT family and apparently not me.

For the twenty years my mother was around, she would accompany my brother to our family celebrations only under extreme duress, it seemed. She would refuse to eat the holiday dinner my mother prepared, making various excuses. She fed the kids before coming so that they wouldn't eat anything, either. Nice! Once the gifts for which she came (birthday or Christmas or Easter baskets) were in her possession, she made some excuse to leave (hair had to be washed or dog walked). The entire time they were there, while my brother visited with my mother and me, she would huddle in a corner knitting and seemingly pouting, answering in monosyllables when addressed by us.

Her mother (once her father passed) became a part of their family and was, in fact, the only one allowed to babysit the kids. If she couldn't or wouldn't, they didn't go. Not once were we asked.

(At this point you're thinking it must be us, but his former girlfriend had no such problem, so it's her.)

Finally, while my mother was ailing (for a total of ten years) and dying, not once did I hear from her, did she ask if she could help, or offer a word of sympathy. When she died, there was total silence from her and my (by then) grown nieces/nephews by her. Throughout this entire process, my brother and I were friendly, cooperative (he helped me care for her to some degree and was there for our mother at the end), and amiable re: the selling of the house/dividing of the estate, often getting together to visit.

(My brother's response to all this over the years? I can't control other people. True enough, I guess!)

I accepted that this was just how it would be. UNTIL my niece married, and I got an invitation. What? Amazing! I was thrilled. Attended the wedding, sat with the family, we all chatted warmly, hugs were exchanged, and I figured this was a new start, thanks to my niece. I would now have "family" again... Although they treated my poor mother like ****, I forgave them. Gave her a really nice gift, too!

Well, no such luck. Thanksgiving? They had family dinner, posted Facebook pics. I sat home alone. Christmas? Same, except for a visit from my brother after THEIR family gathering and photo session. My birthday? Silence, except for a visit and gift from my brother. Easter? It looks like they had a nice family dinner and baskets. The bunny didn't come to see me. :'( Mind you, they're one mile away.

Am sick of being ostracized for no reason and treated unjustly like a second-class citizen. "Shunning" is generally reserved for the worst of crimes, after all, and for good reason: it hurts. What would you do?

Last edited by otterhere; 03-28-2016 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,410 times
Accept it and move on. Their loss. Be nice to your brother. -- But don't cling to him. Find your own friend family. Nothing else you can do.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 AM

And, oh yeah, no "thank you" note for the really nice gift, either!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,262,485 times
That's messed up. She is messed up. I think it is too late to change it.

I would make my own plans.

How does the niece interact with her new in-laws?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:02 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Stop hoping for something different.

I have to tell you that, while this is not an excuse, I believe that a LOT of this has to do with her being an only child.

I am an only child, raised by only children, and my family of origin was VERY insular. The behaviors you described sound very familiar to me.

Like I said, it's not something that ALL only children do, and there is no excuse for rudeness. But consider for a moment that she really does not view "the family" the way you do.

The sibling relationship is completely foreign to her and not something she understands at all. It might be different if she were a gregarious person, but obviously no one taught her along the way how to be kind.

So be thankful your brother has maintained your relationship somewhat. Stop expecting his wife to live up to YOUR expectations. She never will.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 AM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
I would continue to be nice to her. Maybe invite them all to your place on a regular basis. She has a social disorder causes her to fear other people. If you continually prove that you are not a threat to her and continue to provide non-threatening opportunities for her to get to know you, she may come around. If not, don't worry about it. She is suffering (from herself) more than you.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:11 AM

The niece - something of an extrovert, unlike her mother - has been enveloped by her husband's big, friendly family. My SIL is having jealousy issues with that, from what I hear, feeling that they're "pushy" and "take over." For instance, the search for the gown should not have included the bride's future MIL, SIL, or friends; it should have been "just them." So, as I say, I don't take this personally (it's not me), but it still hurts. It's also very embarrassing. Every holiday, people ask what I did. Nothing; sat home alone. Don't you have a brother? Yes. Doesn't he have a family? Yes. Do they live far away? No. It makes me look like a big loser and social pariah, frankly. As my mother used to say, "People must wonder what's wrong with us!"

Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The niece -- something of an extrovert, unlike her mother -- has been enveloped by her husband's big, friendly family. My SIL is having jealousy issues with that, from what I hear, feeling that they're "pushy" and "take over."
Very standard thought process for someone from an insular family who was moved from place to place many times during her childhood and who most likely was taught to think this way.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's what she thinks. So "shake your head" all you want, but do what you know is right and don't try to fix someone who's probably in her late 40s???

Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 AM

Almost 60 now, and I know she'll never change. But why be nice to me to my face (I engage her first whenever I run into her on the street; as I say, we live only blocks away) and then let me sit home alone and lonely on family holidays? I also know that my brother, hating conflict, will never change it.

I guess I wonder how to NOT feel hurt about this or let it affect my self-esteem every single holiday.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Almost 60 now, and I know she'll never change. But why be nice to me to my face (I engage her first whenever I run into her on the street; as I say, we live only blocks away) and then let me sit home alone and lonely on family holidays? I also know that my brother, hating conflict, also won't change.

I guess I wonder how to NOT feel hurt about this or let it affect my self-esteem every single holiday.
Work on your self-esteem.

You KNOW she is like this, and you know that she's not right, so make your own holiday plans and stop letting bitterness ruin YOUR holidays.

That old Carrie Fisher quote applies: "Resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships