Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse to you?
Getting no apology at all when he/she wronged me 14 21.21%
Getting a fake/forced and insincere apology and they pretending to like me 52 78.79%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
An apology is a sign of weakness. I'm not going to beg like a dog for one.
I see an apology as the opposite. I see a TRUE apology as a sign of strength and maturity. We've all said things in anger that we didn't mean and feel truly sorry that the words were said.

Admitting one was wrong in hurting someone else is showing concern for the relationship and trying to rectify it.

I won't beg like a dog for an apology. That is only asking for a fake apology which doesn't mean a thing to me. If the person can't see that they've hurt me, then they aren't intelligent enough to bother with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
No apology may be bc they are clueless.

Fake apologies are manipulative and evil.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
If I know I did something I apologize that is all. If the other party do or not I don't care. If some one made me miserable let me feel guilty for no reason I am done with them. Yes fake apology is worst

Old 04-22-2016, 01:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
One thing I vehemently despise is an apology that is followed with "But...."!!!

Old 04-22-2016, 02:02 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
But I meant to say them thinks, why should one apologies just so they feel good but still hate you, it's like this political correctness if you just someone feelings , they can sue. I'm sorry that you are apiece if crap, I'm sorry that your are worthless. Why should I care about their feelings, I want them to feel bad, maybe they think next time before they screw ip

Old 04-22-2016, 02:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
It is my impression over the years that most people who say "I'm sorry!" are really looking for you to say, "Oh, that's okay."

And then they feel absolved of any responsibility for what they did or said, which is really what they were looking for.

I don't respond to "I'm sorry," unless I really believe the person. If I don't I say something on the order of, "Let's just move on."

Old 04-22-2016, 05:38 AM

66 posts, read 60,238 times
Insincere apologies drive me up the wall. Better off don't bother saying anything.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:41 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
this is a great thread, thank you op!

Some people can never and will never apologize, and others will, but do not mean it. The later is worse, maybe...however, there is for me, another aspect of this issue, which is, "the proof is in the pudding." When someone says I'm sorry, it means they realize they were wrong and want to change that wrong and make it right.

There are some people who will apologize over and over again, I have in the past been one of those people, but never changed my behavior...which is so important.

When we apologize to one another, it is b/c we did something that hurt another person...another fellow human being...therefore, we've got to reflect on what we did, own it, and try to change it.

Owning a mistake for some people is very hard and as difficult enough to say I'm sorry, b/c deep down inside, they don't feel as if they did anything to hurt you.

I guess, then we have to make a decision? Is that person toxic enough that we want them in our lives.

I'm upfront and honest...and a lot of times, so much so, I do step on toes...I want everything out in the open...and if I offend you, lets discuss it, so that I might change it...

It's like those friends you might have, that never feel they've done anything wrong. They feel like discussing the issue, is confrontation....so, they don't talk for awhile, and then all of a sudden, they're waving and calling and back in your life, never to discuss the issue.

I'm one that feels, in order to move on with a clean slate, we have to discuss what caused the issue in the first place, otherwise, it will never mend.

I didn't vote on the OP's choices, b/c I don't believe it's a cut and dry issue...as such...

one may hurt someone just as much as the other, depending on the circumstance.

However, we must always remember, that when someone becomes angry with us, it most likely is, b/c we did something to hurt their feelings. Anger comes before hurt....so, to say I'm sorry, Might be a hard pill to swallow, but it goes a long long way, if we mean it.

I've been on both ends of this as many of you probably have...but when a friend, refuses to apologize, and sit down with you to discuss the issue at hand, that is also very hurtful, b/c from that, never comes change.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:44 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think No Apology is worse. that means the person doesn't even see or acknowledge that an apology is called for. With the insincere apology, at least they are acknowledging that an apology is expected.

When I was a little kid and my parents forced me to apologize for something, even if I didn't feel internally that I had done wrong, it at least reinforced with me that others see the situation differently, and that at least one other person felt that what I had done warranted an apology.

To me, not having someone acknowledge at all that they have hurt me is worse than "I know what I did/said hurt you but I don't agree or don't care, but I'll say I'm sorry just to smooth things over."
Yes.

My primary interest in that the incident is not repeated. I want the person to stop offending me.

A forced apology means that he's aware society is aware of his actions and does not approve of his actions. He didn't get away with it, and the forced apology is a certain measure of social retribution. Given that, he may not repeat it against me or anyone else.

No apology at all means he not only believes he was right but also believes he got away with it and will do it again.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:50 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
An apology is nothing more than to admit to the other that they won, even if they did not to make them feel better. an apology really does nothing because the person still hate you. Everybody always said in school, apologize, why? I meant what I said, I'm still right, why should one apologise.

Serious what does apology do but should a sign of weakness
Doesn't seem to work like that in my marriage. Or any other personal relationship I've had.

Sometimes I hurt my wife. Usually it's inadvertently. On occasion, it's been deliberate. But in fact, she's a great human being, I love her, and I want to continue a mutually beneficial relationship with her. When I've hurt her inadvertently, I certainly apologize and mean it because I want to continue our relationship. Even when I've hurt her intentionally, I do quickly then realize that was an error in judgment and I apologize because I want to patch up our relationship.

She certainly appears to appreciate an apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships