Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse to you?
Getting no apology at all when he/she wronged me 14 21.21%
Getting a fake/forced and insincere apology and they pretending to like me 52 78.79%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:54 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
But I meant to say them thinks, why should one apologies just so they feel good but still hate you, it's like this political correctness if you just someone feelings , they can sue. I'm sorry that you are apiece if crap, I'm sorry that your are worthless. Why should I care about their feelings, I want them to feel bad, maybe they think next time before they screw ip
You might have to provide an example of what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Why want an apology? If you are confident and true in your dealings, that is all you need to know.

I guess if apologizing means anything, it is meaningful to the one who did wrong. It changes nothing to the person who was wronged.

If wronged by another, did you not know that people can make mistakes before the incident? Did you not know that some people are mean? That some people lack good judgment?

I'm in the "what's done, is done" camp.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:23 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Why want an apology? If you are confident and true in your dealings, that is all you need to know.

I guess if apologizing means anything, it is meaningful to the one who did wrong. It changes nothing to the person who was wronged.

If wronged by another, did you not know that people can make mistakes before the incident? Did you not know that some people are mean? That some people lack good judgment?

I somewhat disagree and here's why....in my mind, (and this is just me) if a person comes to me and says they are sorry, that means a lot....it mean's they are taking ownership in their part of the problem, and also means, that I'm a valuable friend, wife, mother, etc....so much so, that they wish to change things and make them better by discussing it. We all have a hand in an disagreement, argument, and it's just the right thing to do.

I have friends that have never apologized, never have come over to discuss things, or called me to discuss things, who I no longer consider good friends. I'm not angry, and if they need something I'll be there for them, but will never trust them with my heart...b/c they hurt me, and I probably hurt them. But by not saying "I'm sorry, leaves a door open for them to do it again".

Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

Does this mean that if you accidently bump into someone and spill her coffee on her blouse, you won't bother with an apology?

Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Fake apologies are absolutely worse. People should apologize if they recognize they wronged or hurt someone and they actually feel sorry for doing so. That's what an apology means.

I hate it when I see parents forcing their kids to apologize even though the kid obviously does not feel contrite at all. What does that teach them? To be insincere and go through the motions even with a bad attitude.

Teach empathy instead and someone will feel compelled to apologize because they will recognize when they did something that negatively affects someone else.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:15 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Fake apologies are absolutely worse. People should apologize if they recognize they wronged or hurt someone and they actually feel sorry for doing so. That's what an apology means.

I hate it when I see parents forcing their kids to apologize even though the kid obviously does not feel contrite at all. What does that teach them? To be insincere and go through the motions even with a bad attitude.

Teach empathy instead and someone will feel compelled to apologize because they will recognize when they did something that negatively affects someone else.
^ I don't think this is what an apology teaches kids at all. Rather, it teaches them that there are consequences for their actions and it also "forces" them to face the hurt they may have caused. Sometimes we lash out and hurt (on purpose, or not) and because we don't have to see the person's face, we don't/can't empathize. Kids need to gradually learn empathy in their young years or they may never develop it at all.

Look at forums as an example. You can clearly see the people who learned that it's okay to hurt as long as you don't have to look at the person's face afterward. Perhaps these people were never taught as children that their actions do have consequences, whether for good or for ill, and that the person they're hurting is just that, a person, a human being.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
^ I don't think this is what an apology teaches kids at all. Rather, it teaches them that there are consequences for their actions and it also "forces" them to face the hurt they may have caused. Sometimes we lash out and hurt (on purpose, or not) and because we don't have to see the person's face, we don't/can't empathize. Kids need to gradually learn empathy in their young years or they may never develop it at all.

Look at forums as an example. You can clearly see the people who learned that it's okay to hurt as long as you don't have to look at the person's face afterward. Perhaps these people were never taught as children that their actions do have consequences, whether for good or for ill, and that the person they're hurting is just that, a person, a human being.
Great post, agree!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

This is true. Otherwise, how do they even know what they did was socially unacceptable?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
A fake apology is a lie. Don't lie to me. Be honest with me. That will get you much further. I don't bother with liars.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:41 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is true. Otherwise, how do they even know what they did was socially unacceptable?
I'm not sure how "don't force an insincere apology" turns into "don't teach your kids empathy, that their behavior affects others and about what is socially unacceptable."

How incredibly odd that people would associated complete lack of parenting with not forcing your kids to apologize. That is very different than even teaching your kids they SHOULD apologize, let alone all this other basic parenting 101 stuff posters brought up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships