Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:22 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

I currently have a niece & nephew as beneficiaries. My nephew has helped me so much, he deserves it. My niece is my Godchild & figures it's her right.

No, I am not going to die tomorrow but I want what I have left to be delegated.

If anyone has read any of my posts you know my son died in January. My granddaughter, whom I haven't seen since she was 5, due to her mother, is now 18 & is starting to contact me.

I haven't let her know that I have anything so it is just her reaching out. The niece who thinks she is entitled never calls, emails or keeps in contact. I am thinking of just switching her portion to my granddaughter. Would other folks do that if they were in my place? I probably won't have more than $50,000 so it would only be $25,000 a piece. Not a fortune but helpful for young people starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,214 times
Well if you leave some to your nephew, you should leave some to you niece.

If I were in a similar situation i would leave a larger percentage to my biological granddaughter and a smaller percentage of the estate to the niece and nephew. Just my .02

Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your child. Really, it's your money and your own decision, split it up however you see it as "fair" to you. After getting will updated with your own preferences, I would not reveal how I split the money to anyone in your family.

I am glad your granddaughter is reaching out to you. I hope you can make up for some lost time with her.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I currently have a niece & nephew as beneficiaries. My nephew has helped me so much, he deserves it. My niece is my Godchild & figures it's her right.

No, I am not going to die tomorrow but I want what I have left to be delegated.

If anyone has read any of my posts you know my son died in January. My granddaughter, whom I haven't seen since she was 5, due to her mother, is now 18 & is starting to contact me.

I haven't let her know that I have anything so it is just her reaching out. The niece who thinks she is entitled never calls, emails or keeps in contact. I am thinking of just switching her portion to my granddaughter. Would other folks do that if they were in my place? I probably won't have more than $50,000 so it would only be $25,000 a piece. Not a fortune but helpful for young people starting out.
IMHO, an inheritance is never "a right". If an adult never calls, emails or keeps in contact why would you give them money in your will? Is there a close friend or a neighbor who has been especially helpful to you? Maybe they should be listed instead.

However, perhaps, you should wait and see if your granddaughter continues to contact you. I hope not, but maybe this is just a short time thing because of the death of her father.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I think you have time Meo. Ignore those who feel entitled, but don't lock yourself into anything just yet. You have plenty of good years left.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:44 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
I would split it evenly between the three and be done with thinking about it.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:01 PM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Hate to sound like a gloomy guss but there's no guarantees. Get your estate settled now. And I'd say that to any adult of any age.

In my opinion, you don't owe your niece anything. Being a godparent just means if something happened to her parents, you'd step in.

She's an adult so the godparent thing is pretty much irrelevant.

I'd split it between your nephew and your granddaughter assuming your relationship with your granddaughter develops.

Last edited by PAhippo; 04-28-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'd split it between your nephew and your granddaughter assuming your relationship with your granddaughter develops.
I agree. Leave your money to those who take the time to contact you, not someone who thinks she deserves it just because she's a blood relative.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
I have to admire my Uncle that just died recently. He had seven children. Some spent more time with him than others. One was a black sheep. He made sure everything, everything was divided evenly seven ways.
It makes it feel more fair and less drama when he left this world.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
I agree. Leave your money to those who take the time to contact you, not someone who thinks she deserves it just because she's a blood relative.
I think I tend to agree with this line of thinking.

Or you could give a little to each and the majority to your favorite charity.

IMHO, every adult with any asset(s) should have a will and as soon as it's possible. A person never knows when or how they will die. A person could have a heart attack or a car accident and be dead instantly, or he/she could have a disease and linger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships