Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,041,540 times

Advertisements

it seems like single moms draw the short straw once again with celebrating Mother's Day. Ugh. And they typically have the hardest parenting job because they do everything without help.

This year my mother decided she wants to do a picnic at her house. My brother and I are to split the cost of crabs. I will cover the half but it is not like I am getting recognized as being a mom, currently raising children. Where is my congratulations? Oh that is right... The same thing as every other day, Pat myself on the back and keep chugging along.

Hopefully when my kids are older I will get the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
I tend to think that the congratulations on Mother's Day (and Father's Day too, for that matter) are supposed to flow uphill; that is, from the children to their parents. Thus, it would fall to you and your brother to celebrate your mother's Mother's Day, and it would be incumbent upon your children to celebrate your Mother's Day.

The implication from your post is that your kids are not doing anything special for you on Mother's Day. I don't know why this is; maybe they're too young, or maybe they can't read a calendar, or maybe they're spoiled brats; I don't know. But none of these things is the fault of your mother.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:52 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Nothing is stopping you from celebrating, except your opinion that others are responsible for making the day what you think it should be. Personally, I think it's nothing more than an advertising gimmick, and have always told my kids a kiss and a hug is all I want. I didn't give birth for a Hallmark card, I became a mother because I wanted to be one.

I did love the sweet nursery school type "gifts" and handwritten cards when they were little, but now? No fuss, no foul.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I tend to think that the congratulations on Mother's Day (and Father's Day too, for that matter) are supposed to flow uphill; that is, from the children to their parents. Thus, it would fall to you and your brother to celebrate your mother's Mother's Day, and it would be incumbent upon your children to celebrate your Mother's Day.

The implication from your post is that your kids are not doing anything special for you on Mother's Day. I don't know why this is; maybe they're too young, or maybe they can't read a calendar, or maybe they're spoiled brats; I don't know. But none of these things is the fault of your mother.
My children are young. I think it should be the moms that are actively parenting now that should be rewarded. Not the ones that gave up parenting 25 years ago. Heck I raised my brother.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
Well, my mother is dead, so I don't have to worry about it.
BUT, exactly who do you think should be responsible for giving you what you think you deserve for Mother's Day, if your children are too young to give it to you?
Sorry, since you are not my mother, nor are you the mother of my children, I have nothing for you.
Since you apparently were a surrogate mother for your brother, ask him what he is doing for YOU on "Mother's Day".

Old 05-02-2016, 12:07 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
My children are young. I think it should be the moms that are actively parenting now that should be rewarded. Not the ones that gave up parenting 25 years ago. Heck I raised my brother.

My kids are grown. I no longer "parent" them, but am in an advisory role. And, when asked a helping role. It's cute that you think it's only young kids that call on their Moms when they need em. And only moms of young kids who deserve recognition for their efforts.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
Quote:
Your mother didn't cease being your mother when you turned 18. So I see nothing wrong with honoring her on Mother's Day. I also see nothing wrong with honoring you on this day. Maybe your mother is organizing her crab feast as a way to jointly celebrate the mothers in her family, i.e. you and herself. Or maybe she's just a selfish attention-hog who doesn't consider you to be a real mother. If it's the latter, then send the crabs and stay home with your kids, and bask in your disappointment that no one bothered to honor you on your day.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,261,904 times
It's just a made up holiday, so that people buy cards and flowers. For example today is National Truffle Day, National Life Insurance Day and National Melanoma Monday.

Did you eat a truffle today?

Did you buy any life insurance or check that yours is up to date?

Did you check yourself or a loved one for any melanomas?

May 2, 2016 – NATIONAL TRUFFLE DAY – NATIONAL LIFE INSURANCE DAY – NATIONAL MELANOMA MONDAY | National Day Calendar

Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, my mother is dead, so I don't have to worry about it.
BUT, exactly who do you think should be responsible for giving you what you think you deserve for Mother's Day, if your children are too young to give it to you?
Sorry, since you are not my mother, nor are you the mother of my children, I have nothing for you.
Well I think the men in my family should be planning and providing the family picnic. Like my father and brother.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
it seems like single moms draw the short straw once again with celebrating Mother's Day. Ugh. And they typically have the hardest parenting job because they do everything without help.

This year my mother decided she wants to do a picnic at her house. My brother and I are to split the cost of crabs. I will cover the half but it is not like I am getting recognized as being a mom, currently raising children. Where is my congratulations? Oh that is right... The same thing as every other day, Pat myself on the back and keep chugging along.

Hopefully when my kids are older I will get the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day.
Since it is usually the father that makes sure that his preschool children remember Mom on Mother's day, perhaps you can mention that to their biological father.

Did you make sure that your preschool children made a card or a gift for their father on Father's Day? Even if he is a jerk to you he is still their father.

Once children are in school usually the teacher makes sure that there is a card and a gift made in class for Mother's Day (not that it really should be the job of the teacher).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships