Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times

Advertisements

I've lived alone most of my post college life and never gave it a second thought, but then again, I'm a male.

I know a few girls at least that won't sleep alone in a building/apartment if they can avoid it. My Fiance will call her friend to come stay the night if her roommate and I are both out of town. If her roommate is out of town, either I sleep at her place or she stays with me. A colleagues wife is very similar. It seems so strange to me. How common is this? Is this one of those more common things that not growing up with sisters, I never picked up on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I'm a female and have never been like that. Sometimes we lived in places that felt less than safe and my husband worked overnight, but I didn't need anyone else to stay with me.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:49 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
I don't think it's common.
I have no problem staying alone anywhere. None of the women I know do, either.
But I can kind of see why there is reason to be nervous. We hear of women being assaulted often, unfortunately.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:52 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
I'm not like that either, but I've made that same observation about other women. My parents raised me to be more independent. I get more into trouble because I don't want the group there.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've lived alone most of my post college life and never gave it a second thought, but then again, I'm a male.

I know a few girls at least that won't sleep alone in a building/apartment if they can avoid it. My Fiance will call her friend to come stay the night if her roommate and I are both out of town. If her roommate is out of town, either I sleep at her place or she stays with me. A colleagues wife is very similar. It seems so strange to me. How common is this? Is this one of those more common things that not growing up with sisters, I never picked up on?
I am like this.

I blame it on watching horror flicks in my youth and being freaked out by a friend, in my teen years while home alone.

He thought it would be funny to sneak around tapping on windows. I was hysterically crying and thought my fate would be the same as the girl in Scream.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm not like that either, but I've made that same observation about other women. My parents raised me to be more independent. I get more into trouble because I don't want the group there.
It has nothing to do with independence for me. I am extremely independent typically. I just am terrified of being killed in my sleep.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am like this.

I blame it on watching horror flicks in my youth and being freaked out by a friend, in my teen years while home alone.

He thought it would be funny to sneak around tapping on windows. I was hysterically crying and thought my fate would be the same as the girl in Scream.
I know a woman who prefers not to be alone in a house or apartment (but has lived alone for months at a time so it does not effect her that much). Same reason, watched too many horror films and her older brother & his buddies played a couple of mean tricks on her that scared her when she was young.

I also know an woman who does not want to be alone in a house or apartment overnight because she was raped in college when her room mate was gone. She always felt that it would not have happened if there would have been two people in the apartment.

While I do not think that it is common, IMHO, it is definably more likely to effect women then men.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-04-2016 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 10:33 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
I'm female, and I've never been afraid to sleep alone. I grew up in a small house, but always had my own room. So even as a kid I slept "alone" but with my parents still in the house. Then I went to college and had a roommate. I LOVED when the roommate would go home for a weekend and I'd have the room to myself. It never occurred to me to feel afraid of sleeping alone.

Then for a few years I had roommates and we shared a house, and I loved when my roommates would go away and I'd have the whole house to myself. One roommate would say she was "afraid" to be there alone if the rest of us would be away, and she'd have someone stay with her. I just thought that was weird; why wouldn't she enjoy having the whole house to herself?

Then I lived alone, and loved it. I do remember a few (always female) friends asking "but aren't you afraid?" and being perplexed as to why they'd ask that. It wasn't like my apartment was in a scary neighborhood.

Then I lived with a partner in a long term relationship for over 10 years. I had to adjust to having another person not only in my home but in my bed. When he would go away for military duty (he was in the reserves) I would be so happy to have the house to myself. But my sister, who I never saw as a "scaredy" person actually asked me "aren't you afraid when he goes away?" Huh? How can I be afraid when I'm so focused on being glad to have the house all to myself??

So I later bought him out and have the house to myself, and I'm never afraid to be alone at night. I have an alarm system, I lock my doors, and I have noisy dogs. What's there to be afraid of?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
I'm not like this and don't think I know any women who are.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,985 times
Maybe some people who grew up with siblings and/or always had busy bustling households can't bear silence & being alone overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Yup. The very few horror flicks I've seen have caused a little trauma, but a religious phase cleansed my fears.

I LOVE being home alone. It's liberating & relaxing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships