Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:25 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,611,956 times

Advertisements

Women have more to be concerned about than men do. You can summarise this as "men are afraid women will laugh at them, women are afraid men will kill them".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 05:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,430,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So they can kill both of them? Another person isn't security.
In most situations, another person is definitely security. A rapist/killer/burglar looking to break into an inhabited home is going to pick the house that has only one person in it, especially if it's a woman, over the house with two people in it nearly every time if they have a choice.

I've never had anything bad happen crime related to me , but I'm another one in the camp of watched too many horror movies and crime dramas so I prefer not to sleep alone and I have more trouble falling asleep if alone. I will say that now having two big loud dogs in the house with me helps my piece of mind and ability to fall asleep tremendously if hubby is gone.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I'm female and have never heard of such a thing. It's not something I think about either. If any of my female friends are like this they've never told me. I love to travel and have met plenty of solo female travelers across the country and around the world.
I never had thought about it until a few weeks ago. Someone I used to work with had posted on Facebook that her Fiance is out of town, so she needs someone to stay with. I was shocked by the amount of responses she got all saying something along the lines of "Yes, come stay with us! I would never dream of letting you stay home by yourself." There is no reason this woman can't stay alone. She is healthy and in her mid 30s, and lives in a very safe area. She also has two elementary age sons, so she wasn't even alone. My dad went on business trips all the time when I was young and my mom managed just fine with being home with two kids.

I could not imagine having to pack up and go sleep at someone's house every time my SO went out of town. We don't have kids, so I actually am home alone. But it just never even crossed my mind to stay somewhere else.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:06 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,607,292 times
My opinion is that the situation the OP describes is unusual. Not typical for adults to refuse to stay alone overnight.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:29 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've lived alone most of my post college life and never gave it a second thought, but then again, I'm a male.

I know a few girls at least that won't sleep alone in a building/apartment if they can avoid it. My Fiance will call her friend to come stay the night if her roommate and I are both out of town. If her roommate is out of town, either I sleep at her place or she stays with me. A colleagues wife is very similar. It seems so strange to me. How common is this? Is this one of those more common things that not growing up with sisters, I never picked up on?
I've never known anyone like this.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,918,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've lived alone most of my post college life and never gave it a second thought, but then again, I'm a male.

I know a few girls at least that won't sleep alone in a building/apartment if they can avoid it. My Fiance will call her friend to come stay the night if her roommate and I are both out of town. If her roommate is out of town, either I sleep at her place or she stays with me. A colleagues wife is very similar. It seems so strange to me. How common is this? Is this one of those more common things that not growing up with sisters, I never picked up on?

I've known a few women over the years that are this way but not many. Not me, for sure. When I was married I spent at least six months alone every year for ten years while my, then, dh went off for his work. I lived five years, off the grid in the mountains of No. Idaho...alone for months at a time. I did have neighbors close enough that if I fired a shotgun twice they'd be there in a jiffy! I never had to. Now I've been divorced and single for nearly 20 years and like being alone just fine. I'd be a mess if I had to have someone sleep over to keep me company. I've also done a ton of road trips across the country by myself and enjoy that too. Just have to always be aware, vigilant and careful.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,918,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
In most situations, another person is definitely security. A rapist/killer/burglar looking to break into an inhabited home is going to pick the house that has only one person in it, especially if it's a woman, over the house with two people in it nearly every time if they have a choice.

I've never had anything bad happen crime related to me , but I'm another one in the camp of watched too many horror movies and crime dramas so I prefer not to sleep alone and I have more trouble falling asleep if alone. I will say that now having two big loud dogs in the house with me helps my piece of mind and ability to fall asleep tremendously if hubby is gone.

When I moved into my house a year ago I laughed because the former owners seemed to be totally paranoid about their safety. There is still an ADT setup...which I don't use but they won't take out...a security camera in one corner of my living room, every window has a lock on the inside so they won't open and it takes FOUR keys to unlock the two front doors into my house. Also four keys to unlock both back doors! And the doors are all heavy duty metal screens and solid steel doors. I really don't worry about my safety at all. I've never seen a house with so many locks! Strange because I actually live in a very safe neighborhood. Oh yeah, and also three really BRIGHT motion activated lights outside. So far the only things that have set them off are neighbors cats or dogs. lol

I too watch too many true crime shows on TV and it creeps me out when it's "the little ol' lady next door" who gets attacked/killed, beings as I'm a "little ol' lady" myself. Especially if it's the 'trusted handyman' who did it!! I am VERY careful who I have around my house doing handyman jobs and such too. Only people who come HIGHLY recommended and considered trustworthy.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times
I get nervous. Twice I've had someone trying to open the door in case I was dumb enough to leave it unlocked (which I didn't, thankfully), once I caught a prowler outside my bedroom window late at night, and once someone was literally trying to kick the door to enter. This from living in rougher parts of Oakland and San Francisco, but one of these incidents was in an allegedly 'safer' area. I've always lived with roommates until moving in with my husband, so I've honestly never actually lived alone. Additionally, I did have a legitimate stalker not too long ago (one who threatened violence even), and legal measures were necessary to stop it. The fear from that several year long ordeal never completely went away.

So yeah, I do get nervous being home overnight alone, especially for more than a day. I usually keep the lights on all night to make it obvious someone is home, and keep the TV on so I'm less jumpy at strange noises. And I don't sleep very well.

I know, I know...I'm a wimp and need to man up. But easier said than done.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 05-04-2016 at 10:47 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 10:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm a female and have never been like that. Sometimes we lived in places that felt less than safe and my husband worked overnight, but I didn't need anyone else to stay with me.
Same here. Sounds to me like the women you refer to are either immature or are trying to play helpless to appear more attractive to men who like the he-man role.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I never had thought about it until a few weeks ago. Someone I used to work with had posted on Facebook that her Fiance is out of town, so she needs someone to stay with. I was shocked by the amount of responses she got all saying something along the lines of "Yes, come stay with us! I would never dream of letting you stay home by yourself." There is no reason this woman can't stay alone. She is healthy and in her mid 30s, and lives in a very safe area. She also has two elementary age sons, so she wasn't even alone. My dad went on business trips all the time when I was young and my mom managed just fine with being home with two kids.

I could not imagine having to pack up and go sleep at someone's house every time my SO went out of town. We don't have kids, so I actually am home alone. But it just never even crossed my mind to stay somewhere else.
Well, I guess once you've announced on Facebook that you're a scared woman home alone, you may as well have rolled out the red carpet for criminals. How could anyone be so dumb! Most normal people practice home safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships