Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,897,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Absolutely nothing and I never said there was.

I was just casually wondering why them and why not any and/or all of the other neighbors?

My question stemmed from an experience relayed to me from a disabled friend of mine. Some people (she calls them do-gooders) will go out of their way to "befriend" her and offer help because she is disabled. They appear to believe they're doing her a favor.

Was just wondering if there was a touch of that going on.
Maybe OP is already friends with all the other neighbors and doesn't want to exclude these folks because they're deaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Maybe OP is already friends with all the other neighbors and doesn't want to exclude these folks because they're deaf.
Maybe...I hope that's all it is. I can't imagine why a deaf neighbor would need more support than any other neighbor.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,883,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
That's an idea, we could get better markers for ours. I don't know much about her situation except that it was obvious she was trying to tell us she couldn't hear us (I presume that smiles and waves conveyed our basic intent well enough). One reason to do it would be to figure out just how we'd go about communicating if there were some situation where time was of the essence, and that would include whether she could speak, lip read, and any other communication means she was comfortable with.

I guess half of it is that I'm pretty chicken to just barge over there with a writing mechanism in hand, unless I can be assured that I won't somehow cause unwitting offense. I know that the deaf community includes some strong views about stuff like cochlear implants, about whether deafness should be 'cured' or whether it should be looked at as needing curing, and what is good manners. I'll feel more confident the more input I can get.
I'm Deaf and grew up in the community. I should point out when referring to the community or that culture, it's a capitalized D (so Deaf Culture, Deaf community, Deaf person, Deaf school etc). Little d would refer to a hearing person with hearing loss but no connection to the community/culture.

Obviously don't bring up CI, and the other issues you mentioned as it's a loaded subject.

A Deaf person will appreciate effort and acknowledgment. A pen and paper is fine, a lot of the younger Deaf folks use their phone as notepads nowadays-- but that can suck as sometimes its too small to read and sometimes you'd have to take their phone to respond which can feel invasive.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:41 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,470,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I love it when people have the ability to look at a positive, well-intended approach and see it for what it is. Thank you. You have the right of it: we are gradually making connections as best we can with the people near us, and this lady is not only the next one up the street, but is a newcomer (which means we are no longer the newest) and it would seem kind to welcome her. And if she happens to be Deaf, to put a bit of extra effort into it if that might make a difference.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I'm Deaf and grew up in the community. I should point out when referring to the community or that culture, it's a capitalized D (so Deaf Culture, Deaf community, Deaf person, Deaf school etc). Little d would refer to a hearing person with hearing loss but no connection to the community/culture.

Obviously don't bring up CI, and the other issues you mentioned as it's a loaded subject.

A Deaf person will appreciate effort and acknowledgment. A pen and paper is fine, a lot of the younger Deaf folks use their phone as notepads nowadays-- but that can suck as sometimes its too small to read and sometimes you'd have to take their phone to respond which can feel invasive.
Thank you very much. I don't yet know whether it's the upper or lower case situation here, but sounds safest to assume capital-D. Definitely no reason to get into the loaded stuff--seems to me like the kind of thing that comes up with close friends or fellow Deaf community members, not my place to bring up.

She looks middle age, like myself, so the pen and paper will probably be fine. I'll just wait until she's out in the yard, grab a pad and pen, walk by, write an introduction on the paper, and see how it goes. It's reassuring to know that has a reasonable chance of starting a friendly dialogue. We all have a safer and better community when we know each other.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:52 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
Can you just bake her some cookies, put them in a tin, and write a nice welcome card? You can leave them on her doorstep. That would alleviate the awkwardness you feel about how to approach her. If she wants to approach you, she can do so in a way that makes her comfortable.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:57 PM

274 posts, read 705,561 times
Quote:
but sounds safest to assume capital-D.
Well, I don't think so. Maybe, maybe not.

Generalization/stereotyping is always dangerous. Just because someone is from the South, you can't assume that he is Republican. Just because someone is evangelical Christian, you can't assume that he is conservative. Just because someone is tall, you can't assume he is good at basketball. The list goes on. Sometimes you get lucky and you are right on, but often your generalization/stereotyping may be way off. Also very often, even worse, whether you are right or not (even if you are right), you making that kind of generalizations can offend some people.

Just like any other group of people, there is a big spectrum in the D/deaf population. In my opinion, we make bigger mistakes (and make them uncomfortable or possibly offend them) by making some kind of assumptions about them based on cursory observations or shallow knowledge as an outsider. If you don't know about them well, don't pretend you do after some quick homework, but just show you care about them as neighbor--be kind, show your willingness to learn about them, don't be imposing, etc. You don't need to ask an expert about how to communicate with them. Common sense rules. Pen and paper, or a smartphone/tablet. Or do whatever way they want to do. Don't be surprised or disappointed if they turned out to be more reserved than you had anticipated. Don't take it personally. If so, just step back and let them know you leave an open invitation, whenever they feel comfortable, then can come.

Back to being "safer to assume capital-D," it's an unnecessarily risky position to take. If you are lucky, it's alright, but otherwise it could get easily awkward. Some deaf people have strong objection to the Deaf, as much as Deaf people have against hearing people. That totally depends on the individual. As I said above, the safest way is, just NOT assume anything but just try to learn about them without a preconceived notion. Frankly, if I may assume something here, you probably don't know what the capital-D really means--the reason I say this is... even within the Deaf community, I have seen many people having somewhat "shaky" ideas about it.

Who am I? Well, I can just say ...I'm someone in a love-hate relationship with the Deaf community.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 AM

Yeah, I did some reading, and it's clear there are complexities that are beyond my scope. There are just the two choices, big D and little d, and if I have to communicate in writing by hand, got to pick one. Rather pick the one that suggests I did some homework (I think I have, here and beyond).

It may seem more obvious and natural to one with knowledge of the community, but one might imagine oneself flying fairly blind and wanting to make an extra effort not to mess up. In such a case, one might well try the question in an atmosphere where the actual impact of hearing ability or lack thereof is zero. I appreciate the input. And whatever happens, not everything is because she's deaf and I'm not, or because I'm somehow tactless. People have bad days. People are who they are. This I get.

But while getting that, as I see it, if I don't stack my odds and avoid the obvious faux pas, then shame on me.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:59 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,210,253 times
This is very nice of you. I agree with the above poster that suggested bringing cookies and doing a casual introduction. Bring pen and paper.

If you feel the need to learn ASL for later, go to youtube and type in ASL tutorial, to pick it up easily.

One of the wonders of youtube is using the word "tutorial" with ANYTHING. Don't laugh - but I learned to juggle from youtube.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:49 AM

666 posts, read 644,290 times
Quote:
Yeah, I did some reading, and it's clear there are complexities that are beyond my scope. There are just the two choices, big D and little d, and if I have to communicate in writing by hand, got to pick one. Rather pick the one that suggests I did some homework (I think I have, here and beyond).
I think you're way overthinking this and should consider the minx's suggestion. I'm trying to imagine a situation where you'd need to differentiate in writing between d/Deaf, or discussing CI, while introducing yourself to the neighbor. "hi, we're the jkk family and we noticed you are Deaf“?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships