Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well you were spot on up until the part about not causing a long term rift.
Lia, you were lucky enough to have your siblings all play a role in your situation. That is not always the case.

It wasn't in mine. The OP has a problem, you are a 100% correct when you said it just gets worse. The OP can certainly try and have a conversation with his brother, that may or may not help.

Let me tell you how it is in my case, and in several other cases when you have a sibling who doesn't bother to play any role in taking care of parents. I'm talking about good decent parents, I have no issue with someone not helping if they had abusive ones.

What happens is, once the last parent is gone, you don't want any contact with that sibling. Why would you? That person turned their back on their parents and their sibling when you needed them the most.

You wouldn't accept that behavior from a friend or a spouse.

You don't take it from a sibling either.
I hear you. All I'm saying is that it's my personal hope that OP and her brother choose not to sever their relationship. Because if they do then there's no room for healing it. Can't work on something that isn't there. I prefer healing to estrangement, that's all. But I can accept the choice to go for no healing. That's as legitimate a decision as any other, imo. Plenty of us have situations where if there's any love left at all, it's got to be love from a distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:00 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
I hear you. All I'm saying is that it's my personal hope that OP and her brother choose not to sever their relationship. Because if they do then there's no room for healing it. Can't work on something that isn't there. I prefer healing to estrangement, that's all. But I can accept the choice to go for no healing. That's as legitimate a decision as any other, imo. Plenty of us have situations where if there's any love left at all, it's got to be love from a distance.
Also, to point out, if one person would like to heal but the other person does not, you can't force it.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:20 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I doubt he'd even show up to that. He'd probably only show up to the reading of the will. We already know it's a 50/50 split between us and there's no way on Earth my parents would change that.
Be careful, if he's executor he can take more than his share. Make sure the lawyer is working for BOTH of you.
Get your parents to name you executor so you don't become another victim. I found out the hard way....

Old 06-21-2016, 03:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Be careful, if he's executor he can take more than his share. Make sure the lawyer is working for BOTH of you.
Get your parents to name you executor so you don't become another victim. I found out the hard way....
Good advice.

Surely your parents haven't named him as executor. If so, why him and why not you?

Old 06-21-2016, 04:20 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I suggest that you not look at it as an issue of "control" but more of "persuasion.

I notice that you don't say anything about your parents' speaking up. What would happen if you said, "Mom, I'm not going to be able to drive you to the hospital tomorrow. You need to call Brother and get him to come."

Sadly, the burden always tends to fall on the daughters.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good advice.
Surely your parents haven't named him as executor. If so, why him and why not you?
Because he's the male? In some families it's still the case that the dad names the executor and the dad chooses the first born succeeding male.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Because he's the male? In some families it's still the case that the dad names the executor and the dad chooses the first born succeeding male.
Well, I understand why some families may go that route - I mean I don't necessarily agree with it or think that it makes sense just because of birth order or gender, but that's why I'm asking the OP who the executor is and if her brother is, why is that?

I don't see why a first born, or a male, or a first born male would just automatically be chosen as executor. None of those elements makes anyone more or less qualified to do the job (which is often complex and thankless, I might add).

Old 06-21-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
And I would like to add that EACH parent can choose an executor and they can be a different person. Just because the dad chooses someone for his own estate, doesn't mean the mom has to choose the same person for her estate.

My husband and I have different backup executors named, for instance.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Good point. If the dying person has named co-executors in writing I think the lawyer will work with and for both of them. Otherwise forget about it. One person will have all the say-so (and ownership) and the other will have none. Disputes can be taken to court but if there's anything at all left afterward both parties should count themselves very lucky.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And I would like to add that EACH parent can choose an executor and they can be a different person. Just because the dad chooses someone for his own estate, doesn't mean the mom has to choose the same person for her estate.

My husband and I have different backup executors named, for instance.
Wow. I'll have to research that. Like how it works when husband and wife have left their estates first to each other or something. Interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships