Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:09 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
For someone who is supposedly happy in SEA you sure continue to beat the "LA Sux" drum. (PS: the poster has a long history)
OHhhhh....

Just to mention for others, Encino and other vicinities are nice - a bit older, but decent areas, not to be confused with less pleasant areas in all of what is considered Los Angeles. Glad the OP is thrilled to be elsewhere that appeals to him and seems like another good place, but I don't feel he should throw his home town under the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This doesn't require a big announcement. If they ask, just say you like it there and don't have plans to move back.
Good point.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:47 AM

22,272 posts, read 19,263,570 times
focus on the positive, and don't speak negatively of elsewhere
just say to your friends "I really like it here" and "I am really happy here so I've decided to stay"

there is no need to to criticize other places, simply wish your friends well

Old 08-04-2016, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I dont own a home anywhere so im free to move around. Im 35 years old and never married. In LA i lived in Encino,CA in my parents house my full life. When i moved to seattle in july 2015 i moved off on my own. Im planning on staying in seattle and even putchasing a condo here.
I see that the spell check is still not working for you.

So you lived at your parents home till you were 34 in Encino, you are 35 now. You are in between jobs. You can't keep a job or is it you job hop every year or so, You hope to buy a condo in Seattle some day. I get it most people are wondering how this all works out for you when most of us have to work and are more than likely deep into our careers already. By the time I was 35 I had been here at the hospital for 3 years. Prior to that I had worked at another place for five years. Before that I had managed a company. By the time I was 35 I had three kids and one on the way. We have 6 now. Most people can not even comprehend living at mom and dads till they were your age and not working a regular job. With you though, in Encino I am betting that you are an only child and that mom and dad "helped" you out your entire life.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 08-04-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Invite them up for their vacation and offer to show them around. Maybe they will like it well enough to move up, too.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
She tried to move into my seattle apartment but i told her no.
So, you didn't lose a girlfriend, you ditched an ex-girlfriend whom you were finished with.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:39 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,180,965 times
I'm thinking taking out a Billboard on the 10 would suffice

Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM

714 posts, read 748,674 times
Have them come visit, they'll understand.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:04 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,829,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I see that the spell check is still not working for you.

So you lived at your parents home till you were 34 in Encino, you are 35 now. You are in between jobs. You can't keep a job or is it you job hop every year or so, You hope to buy a condo in Seattle some day. I get it most people are wondering how this all works out for you when most of us have to work and are more than likely deep into our careers already. By the time I was 35 I had been here at the hospital for 3 years. Prior to that I had worked at another place for five years. Before that I had managed a company. By the time I was 35 I had three kids and one on the way. We have 6 now. Most people can not even comprehend living at mom and dads till they were your age and not working a regular job. With you though, in Encino I am betting that you are an only child and that mom and dad "helped" you out your entire life.
Maybe OP is Asian. Most of the Asians I know in LA live at home forever. It's cultural. I have a friend who is mid 30's, just had a kid he lives at home with wife, kid, his parents and several other extended family members. Another one of my friends is 40 and lives in NJ with his wife, 2 kids and wife's mother. COL is getting super expensive in LA (as I'm sure you know) so it's not abnormal for families to stay under the same roof more these days for longer periods of time or permanently (just as it's the norm in other countries/cultures that many people in LA immigrate from).

I'm 39 and have been on my own since college but I just had my first kid. Having 6 kids is actually way outside the norm these days as most people like myself choose to wait until later in life until they are more stable in career etc.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,157,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
focus on the positive, and don't speak negatively of elsewhere
just say to your friends "I really like it here" and "I am really happy here so I've decided to stay"

there is no need to to criticize other places, simply wish your friends well
I've lived in half dozen places, childhood to current, Sea to Shining Sea in this great nation. There are upsides to each. I don't dwell on the downsides, it impresses no one and pours salt on good memories.

Pals come and go. "I don't care" is a lie, but knowing how to let go is part of being mature, too. Most of us treasure sameness. Embracing a little chaos in a new place can be personally fulfilling, too. “Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.” (Frank Herbert, Dune).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
View detailed profiles of: