Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:37 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,098,777 times

Advertisements

Major news sources use woah

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woah-watc...122711958.html

Woah: America’s youngest voters have turned on Obama in a BIG way | TheBlaze.com

Anyway if all you can do now is be critical of my spelling of informal words, I think it's time to stop responding. But thanks for your opinions. I'll keep them in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,501,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
From the Urban Dictionary:

"Woah"

incorrect spelling of whoa

used to express the sudden realization of one's pathetic character and/or behavior
"Woah, I have nothing better to do with my time than to look up the misspelled word 'woah'."
Well, I think you've actually found the perfect word!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,250,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

60% or so of my peers are married or engaged
and have real jobs. Maybe I should tell them the internet thinks we should quit our jobs and travel to asia to teach English.

I also can't find a single article that points to this apparently common phenomenon of making less than your starting salary.
Are you seriously trying to tell me that 60% of your peers (I assume other 22 year olds) are married or engaged ?(and have "real" jobs)?

My son is 33 and the very first one of his HS or college friends got married at about age 26 (engaged at age 25). Then a few more got married around age 30 to 31. Almost half of his HS & college friends, his same age, are still single in their early/mid 30s.

My daughter just turned 29 and only two of her HS or college friends are married and both of them got married at age 28 (engaged about age 27).

I'm thinking of my friends whose children are in their 20s/early 30s and others that I know in their 20s/early 30s. Of the perhaps 15 to 18 people, only one is married and he got married at age 30 (engaged about age 29).

If 60% of your "peers" (22 year olds, just out of undergraduate) are engaged or married you run in a much, much different crowd than the people that I know and my adult children know.

PS. Oops, I just remembered that a friend of my daughter (from middle school) did get married right out of college at age 22. That woman got divorced at age 25.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-14-2016 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: added PS.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Are you seriously trying to tell me that 60% of your peers (I assume other 22 year olds) are married or engaged ?(and have "real" jobs)?

My son is 33 and the very first one of his HS or college friends got married at about age 26 (engaged at age 25). Then a few more got married around age 30 to 31. Almost half of his HS & college friends, his same age, are still single in their early/mid 30s.

My daughter just turned 29 and only two of her HS or college friends are married and both of them got married at age 28 (engaged about age 27).

I'm thinking of my friends whose children are in their 20s/early 30s and others that I know in their 20s/early 30s. Of the perhaps 15 to 18 people, only one is married and he got married at age 30 (engaged about age 29).

If 60% of your "peers" (22 year olds, just out of undergraduate) are engaged or married you run in a much, much different crowd than the people that I know and my adult children know.

PS. Oops, I just remembered that a friend of my daughter (from middle school) did get married right out of college at age 22. That woman got divorced at age 25.
I live in the south and went to a SEC school.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,250,925 times
Quote:

Quote:
Come on, the south can't be that different.

Are you really serious that 60% of your peers are married or engaged at 22 years old?

No wonder you are shocked at what other recent college grads are doing.
Among people that I know or my adult children know personally the list of exciting adventures and exciting jobs is almost endless, doing research in Taiwan (rock climbing on the weekends), working as a marine biologist on oceans all over the globe, doing a musical performance in Cuba, being in the Peace Corp in Africa (two different people), being an Ice Road Trucker in Alaska, trying to find a cure for Dengue Fever, acting in numerous community theater productions, becoming an inspirational speaker, teaching English in China, opening a pageant gown & pageant jewelry resale shop, spending several years at a big company in Ireland, moving to France and working as a Greek/French/English translator of business correspondence, inventor & entrepreneur, taking a month long sabbatical from work to travel to Australia & New Zealand, spending two weeks every year being a volunteer nurse in various small villages in South America, teaching newly released prison inmates about safe sex & HIV & AIDS awareness and some are students in medical school or graduate school or working on the PhD. And these are just the things that I can remember off the top of my head that people are doing right now or have done in the past couple of years.

Hmmm, one of the things that they all have in common is not even one of those people were married or engaged at age 22. But, everyone is different. It is OK to be married or engaged right out of college, but you probably miss out on some things.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-14-2016 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Come on, the south can't be that different.

Are you really serious that 60% of your peers are married or engaged at 22 years old?

No wonder you are shocked at what other recent college grads are doing.
Among people that I know or my adult children know personally the list of exciting adventures and exciting jobs is almost endless, doing research in Taiwan (rock climbing on the weekends), working as a marine biologist on oceans all over the globe, doing a musical performance in Cuba, being in the Peace Corp in Africa (two different people), being an Ice Road Trucker in Alaska, trying to find a cure for Dengue Fever, acting in numerous community theater productions, becoming an inspirational speaker, opening a pageant gown & pageant jewelry resale shop, spending several years at a big company in Ireland, moving to France and working as a Greek/French/English translator of business correspondence, taking a month long sabbatical from work to travel to Australia & New Zealand, spending two weeks every year being a volunteer nurse in various small villages in South America, teaching newly released prison inmates about safe sex & HIV & AIDS awareness. And these are just the things that I can remember off the top of my head that people are doing right now or have done in the past couple of years.

Hmmm, one of the things that they all have in common is not even one of those people were married or engaged at age 22. But, everyone is different. It is OK to be married or engaged right out of college, but you probably miss out on some things.
i went to around 8 weddings this summer. so no...

also how is spending several years at a big company in Ireland any more exciting than working for a fortune 500 in america?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,021,539 times
Quote:
Who are your peers? Your friends? Maybe. I can absolutely, positively tell you that 60% of the students you graduated UGA with are not married. They are in grad school, or working.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,251,908 times
Quote:
i went to around 8 weddings this summer. so no...

also how is spending several years at a big company in Ireland any more exciting than working for a fortune 500 in america?
It's in Ireland.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Who are your peers? Your friends? Maybe. I can absolutely, positively tell you that 60% of the students you graduated UGA with are not married. They are in grad school, or working.
All of my married friends are either in graduate school or working. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It's in Ireland.
because corporations in ireland operate vastly different from american corporations apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships