Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,357 times

Advertisements

We were out celebrating my cousin's birthday at a nice restaurant tonight and I noticed a negative vibe from my mom, aunt, and other cousin. Come to find out it was because they didn't want to be there because my cousin never calls any of them or responds to their text messages. So they felt like it was no point in them being there celebrating her birthday. So that's why I was feeling that negative vibe during dinner. So I am mad enough now to see them any of them at all during at the remainder of this year.

I guess I feel like it was a wasted evening because I was looking forward to seeing everyone tonight not get this strange negative vibe with a lot of silence. Part of me wanted to leave and go home because it just felt so awkward all night at dinner. I never felt like that around my family before and just don't feel the need to see them again this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 10:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
If they were so mad at the cousin why did they meet to celebrate her/his birthday?

If the cousin "never calls" how did they invite everyone to meet for the birthday dinner?

Are you sure that something else was not going on?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If they were so mad at the cousin why did they meet to celebrate her birthday?
Good question. Maybe because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. One of my aunts didn't show up at all and looks like everyone should have done the same thing. I tried explaining to my mom if you want to communicate with her you have to do through
<edit>social media not phone or text.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-21-2016 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: FB posts are not allowed

Old 08-20-2016, 10:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Good question. Maybe because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. One of my aunts didn't show up at all and looks like everyone should have done the same thing. I tried explaining to my mom if you want to communicate with her you have to do through facebook not phone or text.
Speaking as someone who has not posted on social media in over 18 months (and the time before was almost three years ago) nor has ever used text messages, if my relatives ever wanted to communicate with me they had better use a phone or email.

Everyone is different.

Does that mean that the cousin does not answer her phone or return phone calls? Or just that she keeps everyone updated on her life through her posts on social media?

Old 08-20-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Speaking as someone who has not posted on Facebook in over 18 months (and the time before was almost three years ago) nor has ever used text messages, if my relatives ever wanted to communicate with me they had better use a phone or email.
I also tried to explain to my mom that when texting someone you must say to yourself

1. Is this text relevant to the person?

2. Is this something to respond to?

Not just sending someone a photo of a celebrity who just had a birthday. My mom doesn't understand that texting is not instant messaging and a response may not come until the person gets ready to respond. I also explained to her that I have sent text to friends that never got a response and I was like..."maybe it was not that interesting. lol

Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,257,773 times
Relationships are a two way street. If only one party puts effort into it, it will fail. It seems that your cousin isn't putting much effort into her relationships with the older generation of your family.

She should step up.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
We were out celebrating my cousin's birthday at a nice restaurant tonight and I noticed a negative vibe from my mom, aunt, and other cousin. Come to find out it was because they didn't want to be there because my cousin never calls any of them or responds to their text messages. So they felt like it was no point in them being there celebrating her birthday. So that's why I was feeling that negative vibe during dinner. So I am mad enough now to see them any of them at all during at the remainder of this year.

I guess I feel like it was a wasted evening because I was looking forward to seeing everyone tonight not get this strange negative vibe with a lot of silence. Part of me wanted to leave and go home because it just felt so awkward all night at dinner. I never felt like that around my family before and just don't feel the need to see them again this year.
So you're mad at some people because they didn't behave the way you wanted them to?

Isn't that like being mad at somebody because they never call or respond to your texts?

Old 08-21-2016, 07:20 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Here's the deal: sometimes you need to get together with family members regardless of how you feel.

Go through the motions, act nice, and try to create a semblance of connectedness. If everyone would do this over the course of their lives, we'd have a more cordial relationship with these people. Sometimes it matters more to others than it does to you.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:23 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Why are you angry at your family? They didn't actually "do" anything to you.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:31 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Good question. Maybe because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. One of my aunts didn't show up at all and looks like everyone should have done the same thing. I tried explaining to my mom if you want to communicate with her you have to do through facebook not phone or text.
Sorry but that would be unacceptable for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships