Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

I think the cousin and the op are wrong, but you really shouldn't show up to a celebration if you're gonna ruin it with a sour puss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
drink more and let it go..

picture these folks that are making you angry as cartoon characters and laugh out loud

life is too short ...don't stress out about this

Old 08-21-2016, 07:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Relationships are a two way street. If only one party puts effort into it, it will fail. It seems that your cousin isn't putting much effort into her relationships with the older generation of your family.

She should step up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I also tried to explain to my mom that when texting someone you must say to yourself

1. Is this text relevant to the person?

2. Is this something to respond to?

Not just sending someone a photo of a celebrity who just had a birthday. My mom doesn't understand that texting is not instant messaging and a response may not come until the person gets ready to respond. I also explained to her that I have sent text to friends that never got a response and I was like..."maybe it was not that interesting. lol

While it is probably true that the younger generation (the cousin) needs to step-up her communication, frankly anyone (the mom) who is upset because someone does not respond to her communication of simply sending a "photo of celebrity who just had a birthday" is in the wrong, too.

Over the years I have probably received hundreds of those chain mail type of emails "Send this to ten of your friends and watch the amazing results in your life", etc. etc. and I have never even once responding to any of them. To me, just forwarding an email is not communicating.

However, receiving an email like that may jog my memory, "Hey, I haven't called Jenny in a while so I would call her to chat."

Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So you're mad at some people because they didn't behave the way you wanted them to?

Isn't that like being mad at somebody because they never call or respond to your texts?

Who wants to be around a bunch of people in a bad mood giving off negative energy? I could have stayed home and ordered something from Grub Hub.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why are you angry at your family? They didn't actually "do" anything to you.

Because of their negative energy I did not enjoy my time like I normally do. It wasn't until I arrived home that I found out why everyone was acting like they didn't want to be there from my mother.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry but that would be unacceptable for me.
That's how I been communicating with her for 5 years because she is not a phone person or text. So when I chat with her it's face to face or facebook or text if there is something really interesting going on.

My mom has a habit of sending text messages like they are emails which is why she doesn't get a response. Text are not supposed to be 2 paragraphs because not many people want to read all of that. Like right now I want to tell a friend of mine all about this awful dinner but I will wait until she calls me because it's too much for a text message.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Because of their negative energy I did not enjoy my time like I normally do. It wasn't until I arrived home that I found out why everyone was acting like they didn't want to be there from my mother.
So you gained a bit of insight and empathy for your family members who felt jaded. That is good to acknowledge they have feelings too.

put on that social grace to alleviate those vibes..

Old 08-21-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While it is probably true that the younger generation (the cousin) needs to step-up her communication, frankly anyone (the mom) who is upset because someone does not respond to her communication of simply sending a "photo of celebrity who just had a birthday" is in the wrong, too.

Over the years I have probably received hundreds of those chain mail type of emails "Send this to ten of your friends and watch the amazing results in your life", etc. etc. and I have never even once responding to any of them. To me, just forwarding an email is not communicating.

However, receiving an email like that may jog my memory, "Hey, I haven't called Jenny in a while so I would call her to chat."
I tried explaining to my mom that texting is not email and she needs to stop sending those celebrity birthdays in a text message. It just gives off the vibe that she is bored and has nothing to do so she sends stuff like that. And she is retired now so that is a big reason why she sends text like that and gets mad when she doesn't get a response. I told her she didn't act like this 15 years ago about hearing back from family maybe because she was younger.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So you gained a bit of insight and empathy for your family members who felt jaded. That is good to acknowledge they have feelings too.

put on that social grace to alleviate those vibes..

It's not like they don't know where she is when they don't get a response to a text. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-21-2016 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: no FB posts

Old 08-21-2016, 08:43 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
So, your mother, aunt and other cousin are feeling hurt at being regularly snubbed by your cousin and this resulted in an awkward get together where your cousin didn't do anything to try to make things right.

Now you intend to snub your mother, aunt and other cousin too for the rest of the year to hurt them as well because you didn't enjoy your evening?

If you cared for these people, why would you want to hurt them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships