Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow, $240 for one line? She is paying 1/3 of the bill? I would say these people are paying too much for service. Our bill from AT&T is less than Taylor's portion and that is for three iPhone 6s Phones.
$240 every six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 01:27 PM

841 posts, read 553,695 times
Based on the info the OP provided, I would have to agree with Jordan.

We do a family plan for 3. My husband and I plus my mother. My dad's phone is covered through work. She chooses a cheaper phone and no insurance, so she pays less. We use a plan that covers our usage with some extra (15 GB)

Before T's dad asked T to change the plan, he should have looked at what it would do to his current plan. Even if there were no early termination fee, what would be the cost for just 2 lines on the same plan, etc. He should have compared that cost to moving up to a plan with more data if that was the complaint. He asked them to get their own plan, he extended the contract, he is responsible for what it did to his plan and owes the ETF to the provider.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:29 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I say the two mooches need to get out of their parents' respective homes, grow up, and start paying their own dang way. The $200 is just a start.
Nah, everything else is and has been independent for a few years at least. The cell phone was really the last tie to parental dependence. No one had any issue with paying their own way, its more how it was handled. The letter, the email, etc would lead one to believe that the FIL had thought this through. Oddly enough, he will now be paying MORE per line, and more total, since Taylor won't be subsidizing a third of the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow, $240 for one line? She is paying 1/3 of the bill? I would say these people are paying too much for service. Our bill from AT&T is less than Taylor's portion and that is for three iPhone 6s Phones.

The dad asked Taylor to change plans. Taylor changed plans. Dad should have thought this thru because he extended the contract. That was a move that the dad did and not Taylor. If Taylor had been aware of the updated contract Taylor could have warned the dad that by changing plans early they would have to pay the fee.

My take on this is dad should have known better.

Other things to consider though are: Does the happy couple want to start things off with an upset Dad or father in law? Sometimes it is better to take care of something that is not your fault just to make sure that things within the family run smoothly. The Holidays are coming up and I would bet that even though the happy couple does not want to pay this bill, it may be the best thing that they do, and make sure they do lovingly and in a happy way. Most of the time it is better to do things to keep the peace then to be right.

What ever you do remember that you don't just get married to one person in a family, you become part of that family.

The last thing to consider: Is Dad paying for the wedding?
$240 every six months. The family plan runs roughly $120/month. Its more about how it was communicated to; they were asked to do something, and did so without complaint. Oddly enough, it looks like the per line fee will go up for FIL.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
I think Jordan needs to keep quiet and let Taylor deal with the dad. Ultimately, there was going to be a cancelation fee, so whether they were encouraged/pushed out or intended to opt out doesn't matter. Taylor should pay at least half and just be done with it.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:43 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
It could be the last item on the list. But late 20s and still on the parents bill? Why should they have to be told to get their own plan? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I doubt this is the only issue that has been a result of maturity issues.

Perhaps, but given there is no indication of that it's just speculation on your part. My kids (late 20s) have been off our cell plans since the contract expired after their college graduations. We didn't kick them off sooner so as not to incur cancellation fees and they paid their shares every month. I don't think it's a big deal to keep a kid on a cell plan especially given that it was also a cost saving to and agreeable to the FIL up until recently. When it was no longer so, they got off the plan.

We've actually been talking to our kids about us all (us, 2 kids, SIL) getting on a family plan together and splitting it 5 ways. We would save money as would they. Win-win.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
It would be wise for Jordan to insist Taylor pay the $200. Does s/he really want to start bickering with the future in-laws over $200?

If that's the case, I predict many awkward and uncomfortable family get togethers in the future.

Sometimes adults do things, right or wrong, because it will pay off for them in the future in terms of better relationships. Jordan needs to understand this.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:52 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
I think they should split it and if dad doesn't want to do that he can pay the whole thing. It's his fault for not communicating that he renewed the contract. I would feel differently if he hadn't pushed her to get off the plan. Why did he push her to get off the plan and then renew the contract? She paid for her share and then some when she went over the data amount in the years that she was on the plan.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It would be wise for Jordan to insist Taylor pay the $200. Does s/he really want to start bickering with the future in-laws over $200?

If that's the case, I predict many awkward and uncomfortable family get togethers in the future.

Sometimes adults do things, right or wrong, because it will pay off for them in the future in terms of better relationships. Jordan needs to understand this.
Except it's the Dad that pushed this whole thing on them.

He should be the one to pay the $200 for pushing this thing in the first place without going over everything first. At most/worst, both parties should split the bill.

It's not a matter of just paying it in order to keep the peace. You're starting a slippery slope by going down that route.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:23 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I think they should split it and if dad doesn't want to do that he can pay the whole thing. It's his fault for not communicating that he renewed the contract. I would feel differently if he hadn't pushed her to get off the plan. Why did he push her to get off the plan and then renew the contract? She paid for her share and then some when she went over the data amount in the years that she was on the plan.

I wondered this, too.

I disagree with your last sentence. If she was the reason that they went over the data plan, she did not pay more than her fair share, she paid her fair share.

She could have tried negotiating with Dad at that point to raise the data plan and then pay the extra cost of the bill. If Dad said no to that, he had no right to gripe.

I hate family plans for this reason. I use an awful amount of data and I would hate to have to monitor my usage for someone else.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:48 AM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
I used to have a Verizon family plan with my kids. They stayed on it for a long time but I was the account holder and I paid the bills. I also kept track of when then the contracts were up. When we needed new phones then I would use whatever account was available to get a phone discount and that is when the contract renews.

So the dad got a new phone. Someone got a new phone. Why else would they renew the contract.

I planned ahead to get all phones out of contract because I wanted to switch carriers. I communicated with my children about the status of their phone renewal dates. I told my daughter that she could switch when she wanted to after her phone was out of contract. I didn't say "Hmm, I want a new I-phone, I think I will renew for another 2 years"..

But, there was a lack of communication. Just because So and So was an authorized user, that didn't give him/her the right to do anything with the account without talking to dad and saying "I am going to pull the plug, is that ok?"...Dad knows the status of the contracts. It is his account, authorized user or not.

It sounds to me like there needs to be a talk. Both sides are in the wrong for lack of communication. Dad should have said "Get your own plan after 'this date'" because he knows how it works. Maybe that phone was out of contract but due to lack of action on the part of So and So, the dad decided to get another phone.

Both are at fault for not communicating and who has the new phone?

I would suggest talking it out and asking about why you weren't told to wait, or explain that you didn't know the phone was in contract because you haven't had a new phone in 2 years.

If you recently got a new phone through the Verizon plan then you or whoever is at fault.

Talk it out and come up with an agreement because somebody got a new phone and somebody didn't communicate. Who was that? and why would you not tell your dad that you were going to do something with his account?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships