Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 PM

175 posts, read 261,258 times

Advertisements

I had a birthday party with all my friends, I think I was 9 or 10. Come time to open my gifts, one of my gifts was empty and had a hole in it. My best friend gave me a hamster! I was soooo excited! I loved animals! But where was he?? not in the box! He chewed out!!

Then my dad came into the room wondering what was going on... he was gasping and coughing real bad. He had asthma and was allergic to my new pet. So as soon as I found him, I had to return him. It took several hours to find him too!
My dad felt better after a few hours too. I was a little mad tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:56 PM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
I can't imagine your mother forgetting your birthday.

A few years ago I was admitted to the hospital on my birthday. That was a different kind of celebration, something I hadn't done before. It was bad but it wasn't my worst birthday.

My best was when I was 17 and I was inviting everybody to my surprise party for months. It was just a joke but I really did want one. My boyfriend told me that he tried but there was no place do it. I understood because I knew the limitations. On the day, there was a giant surprise party and everybody came. His mom let him use her house and she never let anybody come over but everybody was there that night. She did it for me, but I never would have believed it. Even though there were a lot of clues and slips I didn't catch on and I was really surprised. It was a big party like from a bad 80's teen movie. I think there was even a cake.

Last edited by Veronicka; 10-21-2016 at 10:12 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
I have never really celebrated my birthday so it's never been a big deal to me.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:54 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
On my 17th birthday (back in the 80's) my alcoholic mother showed up after school late to a meeting with my Geometry teacher because I was having trouble in there. On the way home, she screamed at me in front of my sister and another kid about how worthless I was and how I would never amount to anything. That night, my boyfriend did not bother to come by because he was at another girl's house.

That same day, I had my picture taken for my passport for a planned summer trip. I still have it somewhere around here. It is a sad face on a sad girl.

Fast forward over 30 years: Life goes on and gets better. I have children of my own and choose not to drink, my mother is still alive and sober over 20 years, and I have been married over 18 years to the aforementioned high school boyfriend.

The memory of that birthday does stink though...
Glad things got better for you, Kimmie. Mine is somewhat similar to yours.

I was 17, I had broken up with my boyfriend, and, after that, had "broken up" with my best friend, was really down and started skipping school, and my parents (alcoholic dad) were having real problems and would end up divorcing not long after that.

I was really struggling to even get myself to school, and I remember I had geometry for 2nd period. One of those days, I missed 1st period, but had managed to make it to my geometry class, which at this point I couldn't care less about and wasn't doing very well in. Anyway, my teacher was a very nice man and whom I really liked and admired as a teacher. This day, after I came in a few minutes late and sat down, he began to make a speech to the rest of the class about how we students needed to take school seriously, and if we ever wanted to make it anywhere in life, we had to be responsible and work hard or we would never amount to much in life.

That was all true, but he interrupted the lesson to say all this, so it was obvious that he was calling me out personally. I remember thinking that I was barely keeping my head up above water enough to come to class. I knew I was not going to go to college, and was just praying for the day I could leave school and get a job with the skills I did have.

Anyway, all this was going on when I hit my 18th birthday. By then, I had gotten my GED and hadn't officially graduated, so I didn't get any acknowledgement for it. I understood why, but it still stung a little bit. But, on my birthday, my mom came to the door of my room and took me to the kitchen. She had a few small gifts for me, and a card telling me how much she loved me and was proud of me. I can't even express how much it meant to me at the time. (She knew I had been struggling and was still making sure I stayed somewhat on track.)

But, man, that day reeeally sucked. That's just about the only bad one I can think of, thank god.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:21 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Hmmm. Well one year my birthday was a bit more somber because 9/11 happened the previous day. So that was a big focal point with a lot of sadness and seriousness in school, and on the news, etc. But can't complain, because it's nothing compared to the people they died the day prior.

I guess a bad one would be my Ipod breaking the day of my b-day that cost $200.00 So I had to order another one. lol Meanwhile needing to listen to music on an old Mp3 player where the sound was messed up and I had to keep adjusting the earbuds, and keep them just right so the sound wouldn't skip.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:28 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,001 times
I've had a lot of bad birthdays. On my 24th birthday, I was living in FL with my boyfriend at the time, he purposely decided not to celebrate my birthday. The relationship was dragging to a slow death march. He asked for my engagement ring back that morning. Very nonchalant. I felt so bad. I thought I was being so p*ssy and thinking he's going to like get it cleaned or trade it in and get a better one. That was like 3am in the morning. Around 10 am, I was in the house doing my routine. His family was all giggles and sniggles. I thought maybe they would do something for me. Nope. I got no calls from him, his family, or my family that day. He comes home at like 5:30 pm. I wasn't ignored, but no special treatment. I thought, maybe the ring was taking long or something. I said nothing. After dinner and sex, he falls asleep. I tried to sleep. He woke me up at 11:59 on the dot to say "I don't want to get married any more!". I said "What is this? A joke?". He said "Happy birthday or something" and went back to sleep. I got up, found the ring and pawned it. Two days later I was on a flight back to NJ.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:06 AM

422 posts, read 336,289 times
Not my worst, but...... last year I needed some very old records from the courthouse in the state my mom lives. I asked her to pick them up, which she literally drives right by every day, and send them to me overnight and I would reimburse her. So she did, included a birthday card.....and that was it. When I asked her how much I Owed her she said it was my birthday gift!!

Old 10-22-2016, 05:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
I don't really like to celebrate my birthday, but on my 30th I was attending grad school at a Catholic university where everyone would go on about how life was over if you weren't married with a family at that age. I looked younger than my age, so I didn't mention that I was almost 30 at the time I started.

I kept my birthday quiet and it also happened to be below zero, so the doors froze shut on my car due to a defect in the door handle mechanisms. I thought I was going to freeze to death in my car, but then realized I could get out through the emergency trunk release. Oh what a great day that was!

Old 10-22-2016, 05:56 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Last one, # 60, second one as a widow. Been looking at some houses with a realtor, thought I might invite her to lunch after, she got a phone call from her daughter to go out to lunch. Went home. Miserable day. I did get a card from a friend though.

It's tough to have a "special day" when the person who made it special for you is no longer around.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:00 AM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
At my 5th birthday party my beloved pet dog that had nipped me on my arm and been given away a few months before was brought back for a 'special birthday visit' by the (idiot) people my parents gave the dog to. I was devastated and cried and cried, my mom was so angry that I cried and had ruined the party she had spent so much energy planning.

For me, the dog became a minor grief and suddenly I never felt the same about my mom again. Decades later I saw this was straight out of the movie Harold and Maude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships