Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:02 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,660,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
You might be a little too touchy.
Just a tad If this is your primary complaint then you should consider yourself lucky. You are way too sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 02:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 8,675,688 times
It has nothing to do with you being a woman. Maybe he thought your father knows about such things. You must be a real joy to be around.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:09 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,185,806 times
If, as you said, you're sure that he didn't mean anything by it, why are you so annoyed? He wasn't deliberately trying to insult you, and probably just thought his suggestion to ask your father would be the fastest and most convenient thing to do. Tbh you sound overly thin-skinned and quick to take offense.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:09 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,922,449 times
I think a whole lot more would have to go into my thought process before I arrived at "I'm offended and it must be sexism."

Is my Dad known for being Mr-super-handy-appliance expert? Then no, I would not be offended; I'd take this as a nod to my Dad's expertise. I'm a woman and my 73 year old dad is sort-of expert when it comes to cars. If anyone who knew my dad suggested that I ask him about my car, I would not be offended. I'd probably have already thought of it myself.

Does my relative know that my Dad likes to feel useful? My Dad, since retiring, misses being useful. So I'll often call him with "Dad questions" that I know I could get answers to on my own. He likes that he can still help his 40-something "little girl." I like to do that for him, and someone else who cares about my Dad might like that I do that for him. so if I had an uncle who told me to ask my Dad something like that, I'd just take it as "throw your Dad a bone" or "have you called your old man lately?"

If my relative significantly older than me? You said he's 50, but how old are you? If you are in your 20s, it's pretty common for older relatives to see you as a "kid" even when you no longer are.

Does my relative just say wacky or annoying stuff all the time? Many of us just have relatives that either aren't that bright, aren't that aware, or whose statements are often just stupid or don't make sense. If so, what's the point of getting yourself offended?
<snip>
Do I live with my Dad? If I live two states away from my Dad, that's one thing. But if I live with him and he might be sitting right there in the room, it might just feel logical for someone to say "ask him." And this goes back to the age thing, if you are younger AND still live with your parents, then it's more likely that older relatives will still see you as "a kid."

Anyway, there are probably 20 other reasons he might have said it, that come before sexism. And even if it were sexism, it's your choice how, and how much, to let it affect you.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-16-2016 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: deleted the orphaned response to sexual preference

Old 11-15-2016, 02:15 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,317,147 times
I would have said, Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

A win-win answer. But, then again, I'm 63.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:27 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,953,238 times
If I gave a young relative or friend advice and she suggested I was sexist for doing so:

1. That would be the last time I gave her advice
2. I'd be less inclined to spend time with her in the future

Life's way too short for this crap. Assume the best of people rather than the worst and life will be a lot more enjoyable both for you and the people you know.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think a whole lot more would have to go into my thought process before I arrived at "I'm offended and it must be sexism."

Is my Dad known for being Mr-super-handy-appliance expert? Then no, I would not be offended; I'd take this as a nod to my Dad's expertise. I'm a woman and my 73 year old dad is sort-of expert when it comes to cars. If anyone who knew my dad suggested that I ask him about my car, I would not be offended. I'd probably have already thought of it myself.

Does my relative know that my Dad likes to feel useful? My Dad, since retiring, misses being useful. So I'll often call him with "Dad questions" that I know I could get answers to on my own. He likes that he can still help his 40-something "little girl." I like to do that for him, and someone else who cares about my Dad might like that I do that for him. so if I had an uncle who told me to ask my Dad something like that, I'd just take it as "throw your Dad a bone" or "have you called your old man lately?"

If my relative significantly older than me? You said he's 50, but how old are you? If you are in your 20s, it's pretty common for older relatives to see you as a "kid" even when you no longer are.

Does my relative just say wacky or annoying stuff all the time? Many of us just have relatives that either aren't that bright, aren't that aware, or whose statements are often just stupid or don't make sense. If so, what's the point of getting yourself offended?

<snip>

Do I live with my Dad? If I live two states away from my Dad, that's one thing. But if I live with him and he might be sitting right there in the room, it might just feel logical for someone to say "ask him." And this goes back to the age thing, if you are younger AND still live with your parents, then it's more likely that older relatives will still see you as "a kid."

Anyway, there are probably 20 other reasons he might have said it, that come before sexism. And even if it were sexism, it's your choice how, and how much, to let it affect you.
Great points!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-16-2016 at 06:11 AM..

Old 11-15-2016, 03:15 PM

52,322 posts, read 52,784,279 times
I'd let it ride. I get how it might be a bit insulting, but I'm sure it wasn't meant in that spirit. Stewing over it for 5 days seems to be a bit much to me, but whatever.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:25 PM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Does your father know extensive knowledge on this topic? How do you know its sexist? There are too many unknowns for me to get too worked up about, tbh.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
well well little lady,,,,,

time to put your big girl shoes on and go buy that pink appliance

seriously, let it go
thank him for his concern.... he might mean well..

the important thing is this....if you are comfortable in your own skin,,,,this silly stuff rolls right off you
he may still look at you as a young girl......and he means well ..

you go all out feminazi on him.. you may win the battle ...but will feel bad for a longggg time

do your own thing and smile.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships