Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Posted this last Thanksgiving ("Is Anyone Else Going to Be Alone?") and heard from some people who weren't going to be alone and apparently just wanted to gloat about that... But if anyone wants a forum for discussing being *actually* alone, here it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
I'm in. Lots going on before and after December 25, but so far, no invitations for the big day. I do not do well alone on Christmas (although I did get my flu shot in time this year, unlike previous solo Christmases, so there is that, at least).

I will be with good friends tomorrow, but they go to their son's in-laws for Christmas. A relative who has room when he house-sits doesn't seem to be housesitting this year (the homeowners are Jewish, and as Hanukkah starts on Dec. 24 this year, may have decided to stay home). No local relatives. Trying to gently indicate my situation to local friends, who may assume I'll be out of town as is frequently the case. As noted, I have a very full schedule before and after Dec. 25 - just nothing for Christmas Day.

Suggestions which don't involve helping with dinner at local charities are welcome. Our locals fill up fast, I donate generously, but need to do something else on that day. In the past, we've read lots about sending out for Chinese food, going to movies, long walks, decorations, candlelight, fires in the fireplace, Christmas music, eating whatever rare treat you prefer, and so on.

But I miss Christmas, coming from a wonderful heritage of large family Christmases that can never come back again: both people and places are gone now. I cherish those memories...but the contrast is more bitter than sweet. Lots of loss in my life this past year doesn't help my holiday melancholy.

I really need to be with others on that day. Ideas welcome.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:39 AM

714 posts, read 747,700 times
I will be watching a lot of basketball over the weekend, and hopefully that's it.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:46 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Christmas will be the two of us and our furries. A walk around the neighborhood lake, cocktails, hot tub, dinner, a movie or two, enjoy or decorations and a roaring fire (if A/C has to work overtime that is fine). All the drama queens in our lives have opted for other venues.
Christmas Day will be slow breakfast and a trip to a local museum to look at a budget breaking painting.

Gentle indication aka beating around the bush may not work. Call the relative, talk to the local friends.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:04 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I'm going to be home with my dog. No travel, no massive food prep, lots of relaxation. This is EXACTLY what I want. I usually get invitations for Thanksgiving & Christmas from family & friends. But they always preface their invites with, "I know you prefer to stay home with your dog..." New Year's Day is a fun day in my family. That's when I want to gather & see everyone.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Christmas will be the two of us and our furries. A walk around the neighborhood lake, cocktails, hot tub, dinner, a movie or two, enjoy or decorations and a roaring fire (if A/C has to work overtime that is fine). All the drama queens in our lives have opted for other venues.
Christmas Day will be slow breakfast and a trip to a local museum to look at a budget breaking painting.

Gentle indication aka beating around the bush may not work. Call the relative, talk to the local friends.
If it's "two of you," that's not alone; just sayin'... (here we go again)

But thanks for playing!

Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Going to have lunch with two friends but that is it. I told my mother after working like a dog over the last month and tomorrow being a rare day off, I just need a break, thankfully working two jobs herself in the past, she understood.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:59 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Going to have lunch with two friends but that is it. I told my mother after working like a dog over the last month and tomorrow being a rare day off, I just need a break, thankfully working two jobs herself in the past, she understood.
Watch out!
otterhere is going to say you are gloating!

Old 11-23-2016, 01:06 PM

Let me rephrase this: who is going to BE ALONE on the holidays; that means without an S.O., without friends, without the option of being with your mother, which you're declining. What part of "alone" don't people on City Data understand?

Old 11-23-2016, 01:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If it's "two of you," that's not alone; just sayin'... (here we go again)

But thanks for playing!

Well why are you going to be alone?

I believe if I have the correct poster you have issues with your siblings and their spouses, that happens, but haven't you lived in the same area for a long time?

Are there no friends or neighbors? IF not, why is that?

Feeling sorry for yourself because you don't bother to interact with anyone, and than whining about it at a time of year that is meant for friends and family, well you have to look at yourself and say "how come I am alone?".

The only time I was alone was when I moved from CA to Portland, OR and had a new job about a 15 years ago. I had no family or friends, the one couple I was kind of friendly with(also CA transplants) were going to CA for the holidays. It was tough, but I put myself in a situation where I knew there was no family around and there hadn't been enough time to develop friendships.

Unless you're new to an area and don't know anyone, why do you have to be alone? Do some volunteer work regarding something that interests you, great way to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships