Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,742,613 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Back in August, I moved into a new apartment. I visited the apartment and everything seemed fine at first. I knew I'd be living with three other people, so no big deal. The apartment is big enough.

However, as time went on, I quickly discovered another side to the story:

1. Turns out two of them are dating and therefore sharing the room next to mine. This, they ommitted to tell me when I viewed the apartment. They make noise at night and keep talking.

2. The girl who doesn't even have a full-time job, slams doors at all hours of the day/night, she uses her hairdryer at midnight knowing I can hear it from my room. It wakes me up every single time.

3. The worst part is when she openly told me: You're not allowed to turn the heating on until we agree to it. Really? I'm in my own place, they're tenants not the landlord, yet they act as though they have ownership over the property. It's cold, I have to turn the heat on. I wound up with bronchitis as a result of me initially abiding by their stupid rule. Then, I told her frankly I'd turn it on whether she likes it or not. She heard me on the phone talking to a friend about the situation. I think she gathered I don't like her very much. I said I'd pay the extra-fee for the heating.

4. She has no bill in her name. We all do except her, but she feels the need to tell me what to do.

5. I paid the TV license for them! They watch TV from 6 pm until 11pm, take over the entire kitchen which never really allows me to have any sort of time in the common area. It's annoying as I pay half the rent and there's 4 of us.

6. As I said, this is not their property. Yet, when the landlord notified us of a rent increase, the boyfriend sent us (the fourth tenant and I) an email saying: 'Let me know by January 1st if you want to move out, so I can advertise your room'. They really do believe this property is theirs.

The four tenant is fine. I've got nothing bad to say about him. The heating bill is in his name and he said nothing. He said we'd split equally even if I turn it on, yet the other guy (the girl's boyfriend) took the bill and split the fees accordinly, adding 100$ to mine and leaving theirs at 25$. I understand I use the heating, but I'm adamant they turn theirs on when I turn it on.

<snip> The heating system is there for a reason. I'm not letting myself get sick to abide by her stupid rule, especially as I'm sure she avails of the heat when I turn it on yet I'm now forced to pay the extra-fee (how do I know? Her boyfriend was wearing a t-shirt which is highly impossible whe you've got no heat on).

Now, I ignore her completely. I say 'Hi' to the boyfriend, not to her because to be quite fair, her attitude was way off line. Her boyfriend said nothing about the heating and she did (he has a job!). I don't even greet her when I see her, that's how aggravating she is.

I don't wanna move out. Any chance I may find a way to have them move out? I'm on the tenancy, but I'm enclined to have a proper lease drawn up so they would shut their mouths.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-12-2016 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: FB and other named social media sites are not allowed. see sticky thread atop forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 02:52 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,934,290 times
You moved in with three other adults, seriously what the heck did you expect? "New Girl," is a television show, not real life.
Live out your agreement then find a place to live more suitable.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
I've run into this practice of keeping the heat off even in winter-like conditions with snow on the ground, as a guest in shared households like yours. Very strange, and it does cause people to catch a cold living like that. Who decides how the bill should be split: the collective, or the person whose name is on the bill? Have you consulted with that resident? Perhaps you should, to get a better understanding of how decisions have been made in the past, before your tenancy, and to find out if there's some kind of pecking order that people follow, or if he's the Decider when it comes to the heat bill.

Are there house meetings to discuss how to handle issues that come up? If so, mention the doors slamming at all hours, and ask very generally (without targeting anyone) that people be considerate of sleeping roommates during late hours. Hair dryer? Get earplugs. I don't see any hope of making a dent in that issue.

If the bf is the one who originally found the apt. and signed others up to rent with, he may feel responsible, and therefore may assume he has the right to decide things and to issue announcements (of rent increase, & other business). This isn't unusual, nor particularly out of line, depending. But he shouldn't assume that others will leave just because of a rent increase. His memo was poorly worded, perhaps revealing some wishful thinking? Or not.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
I'd look for another place to live as soon as possible. That sounds terrible.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've run into this practice of keeping the heat off even in winter-like conditions with snow on the ground, as a guest in shared households like yours. Very strange, and it does cause people to catch a cold living like that. Who decides how the bill should be split: the collective, or the person whose name is on the bill? Have you consulted with that resident? Perhaps you should, to get a better understanding of how decisions have been made in the past, before your tenancy, and to find out if there's some kind of pecking order that people follow, or if he's the Decider when it comes to the heat bill.

Are there house meetings to discuss how to handle issues that come up? If so, mention the doors slamming at all hours, and ask very generally (without targeting anyone) that people be considerate of sleeping roommates during late hours. Hair dryer? Get earplugs. I don't see any hope of making a dent in that issue.

If the bf is the one who originally found the apt. and signed others up to rent with, he may feel responsible, and therefore may assume he has the right to decide things and to issue announcements (of rent increase, & other business). This isn't unusual, nor particularly out of line, depending. But he shouldn't assume that others will leave just because of a rent increase. His memo was poorly worded, perhaps revealing some wishful thinking? Or not.
The bolded part definitely crossed my mind when I first read his email. It is funny considering I'm fairly adamant I earn way more than he does. This is so ridiculous for him to assume we'd leave because of a rent increase when he's sharing the tinest room (looks like a box room) in the apartment with his unbearable girlfriend.

Yes, I did discuss the heating/gas bill with the person whose name is on the bill (the fourth tenant) and he said it's fine. He doesn't care. He even said we don't have to split the bill in order to make me pay more. He was fine with splitting equally. However, the other guy decided to grab the bill from the mailbox and added a comment on how the bill was going to be split.

There's no meeting because every single time we tried to do one, no one wanted to. I sent around an email to rotate on a weekly basis for the cleaning. The only two people who abide by this rule are the fourth tenant and I. The otehr two ('the couple'), never cares to clean until we tell them it's their turn. They think the bins will magically empty themselves.

I don't care much that he does the announcements since I'm sure he's the one who receives the communications from the property manager. However, when I get told by his girlfriend I'm not allowed to turn the heat on unless I seek their agreement .. that I have an issue with. Splitting the bill is one thing, but not allowing me to turn on the heat in my own place I'm paying for? This is a severe issue to me. I'm paying the rent and the bills to live as I please. It's not my fault they can't afford the bills.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
You moved in with three other adults, seriously what the heck did you expect? "New Girl," is a television show, not real life.
Live out your agreement then find a place to live more suitable.
Hum. I've been living with roommates since I was 18, so I know how it works. These are one of a kind.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:28 PM

OK, so it's the guy who has a relationship with the LL who's the one who calls the shots on everything, it seems. And he would exercise his perceived right to do that when it's a question of minimizing costs (util bills) for himself and his gf. Undoubtedly she complained to him that "it's not faaaiiirrr" for her to be stuck with a higher heat bill just because of you. And if he's on a marginal economy himself, of course he'd agree.

So you're screwed. Good thing you make more than them. If you like the place, and you get along with the 4th tenant, pay for your heat as part of the price for the place. Address doorslamming at all hours, if not in a meeting, in a memo. Be aware that the couple are not the most mature individuals, and try not to let it bug you. If you can't help getting irritated, start scouting around for an alternative place to live.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, so it's the guy who has a relationship with the LL who's the one who calls the shots on everything, it seems. And he would exercise his perceived right to do that when it's a question of minimizing costs (util bills) for himself and his gf. Undoubtedly she complained to him that "it's not faaaiiirrr" for her to be stuck with a higher heat bill just because of you. And if he's on a marginal economy himself, of course he'd agree.

So you're screwed. Good thing you make more than them. If you like the place, and you get along with the 4th tenant, pay for your heat as part of the price for the place. Address doorslamming at all hours, if not in a meeting, in a memo. Be aware that the couple are not the most mature individuals, and try not to let it bug you. If you can't help getting irritated, start scouting around for an alternative place to live.
Haha. 'It's not fair'. I can definitely hear the bolding part in my ears. I'm sure she complained, not him. He didn't care at first.

Yes, when I asked the fourth tenant about the heating/gas bill which is in his name, he said: Check that with K (the 'boyfriend'). It's as if that guy rules over the entire apartment for some strange reason.

I definitely like the place. It's quite hard to find such a nice place for such a nice price. I definitely do not want to move out because of them. I don't see why I should and maybe wind up with even worse roommates or a higher rent.

Yes, I believe they lack a bit of maturity. It seems as though they do not understand the meaning of 'compromises' and want their own way. The girl seems to want her own way (which is odd for someone who barely has a job and has no bill in her name). I wonder where she got the idea that she has some kind of power over us. I try my best to ignore her and avoid acknowledging her existence, but she really irritates me with her ways. She's the only one who slams doors.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:50 PM

She got the idea she has some kind of power over you two because her bf is the one with the rental/business relationship with the LL. That makes him in charge. He has to make sure everyone pays their rent on time, and so forth. If a repair is needed, he's the one who reports it to the LL. So he's taken that role and has run with it, especially when under pressure by his gf.

Now, not everyone in his position would handle it the same way,. I've seen households like this where the main renter is mellow. I've seen households where the main renter or couple are uptight, immature, and into making a lot of rules. You'll have to resign yourself to the fact that your situation has something along the lines of the latter type of people in charge, and make the best of it.

I might add that ignoring the gf and not speaking to her doesn't help. I can understand why you feel driven to do that, but it doesn't help everyone get along. Not that anything would, I suppose, at this point.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
id pee in their orange juice and wear a trump t-shirt,,,,

look for another place..

nice people get run over by inconsiderate asses.....
if you don't speak up for yourself,,,no one else will

"we need to talk,,,,,five minutes... I talk,,,you listen,,, (ive been listening for 3 months) all I ask is for 5 minutes

then lay it on them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships