Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:28 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

I'm in a somewhat similar boat with a roommate sneaking out to turn the heat down (and it's already really low!) despite being told multiple times that the other two bedrooms are much colder than hers. She tries to argue that since I make more money than her, I should pay much more. Um, no. And remember, the heat has to stay on in the winter as a baseline just to keep the pipes from freezing (at least where I live). Roommates don't get to opt out of that!

What I do in the summer is discount electricity for roommates who don't have window A/C units by $20. That seems fair. I would never agree to taking on half the cost.

As far as the kitchen, that's been an issue in my house too. My roommate isn't as bad natured as yours, just selfish and clueless that when she starts cooking at 8PM (after she's been home since 5:30 - I don't even get home until 7:30!) and cooks until 11 that she's not only blocking out everyone else's kitchen usage, but she's also keeping us up because of the noise. After speaking to her about it and a few times going to make food while she was in the room, making her consider how her actions impact others, it's gotten better. Not perfect, but better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I know, but the fourth guy is a bit of a doormat. He delegates everything to the couple.

He's not the only one.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Let me know by January 1st if you want to move out
Let him know today. Issues solved.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:53 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Immediately call a house meeting to discuss the issues and suggest resolutions, set house rules. If nothing improves to your satisfaction within the next 16 days.
A. Continue with the status quo
or
B. Take the out you're being offered, and give notice on December 31st that you will be vacating

Old 12-13-2016, 09:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Move! It's not normal to put up with that. I would live in my car before having a roommate.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:09 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Had a roommate one for a year, it was the WORST year ever!!! I vowed to NEVER have a roommate again!

Old 12-13-2016, 10:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Let him know today. Issues solved.
I'm not moving out. You do realize there's a lot that comes into it? That's not the issue at all.

Also, what he did. I left my shoes in the hallway (we don't have a shoe rack, but since they were wet, I didn't want to wet the entire hallway. So I left them at the entrance). This idiot took them and put them in front of my door. What now? I'm not allowed to leave my shoes in the hallway like most people do?

Mind you, we have one spare bathroom and no one can use it because he stores his bikes there. Yet, he's going to tell me my clean shoes bother him? Please.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Hence, I expect to be able to stay in the kitchen or rest in the living room whenever I please, but they're always there from 6pm until 11pm with no consideration for others. The fourth tenant always has to cook at 11pm once they're back in their bedroom. Do you reckon it's fair? It certainly isn't that we have to arrange our schedule according to theirs.
This whole situation is all kinds of screwed up, but I wanted to address this part in particular.

You say they are in the common areas from 6p-11p. If you (or the 4th roommate) want to cook during that time, go out there and start cooking. If they're in the way, ask them politely to move. If you want to watch TV or whatever, tell them so. All you're doing by waiting until they're gone is showing them that you're going to let them do what they want.

You're griping about everything but you aren't willing to stand up to them and you aren't willing to move, so it seems like you're at an impasse. Not sure what other advice any of us can offer that would be helpful.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:

Also, what he did. I left my shoes in the hallway (we don't have a shoe rack, but since they were wet, I didn't want to wet the entire hallway. So I left them at the entrance). This idiot took them and put them in front of my door. What now? I'm not allowed to leave my shoes in the hallway like most people do?

Mind you, we have one spare bathroom and no one can use it because he stores his bikes there. Yet, he's going to tell me my clean shoes bother him? Please.
Blah blah blah.

Moving out is the only answer.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
I'm not moving out. You do realize there's a lot that comes into it? That's not the issue at all.

So, discuss. Ask if there's a policy about wet or muddy shoes--what to do upon entering the apt. Send a cc to all residents. If the "manager" doesn't want to have house meetings, this is how questions and issues will have to be addressed: via email, with cc's to all residents. If there's a policy about bringing/wearing wet/dirty shoes into the house, everyone should know, so the cc's to everyone is an appropriate way to handle it.

In this way, by making your questions and concerns "public", and by assuming they're concerns that pertain to everyone, you can't let every little gesture devolve into personal sniping and tension. Just be above-board with this kind of thing, and treat it like an inquiry on behalf of everyone as to the "house rules".

Any petty thing like that can be treated similarly. "Oh, hi, it's me again. I noticed someone moved my stuff from the kitchen. Is it not ok to ____________? If there are rules regarding X, could you let the rest of us know? Thanks. Cheers." This serves the dual purpose of letting the other tenant know what rules/expectations there are, elevating what might be petty sniping or harassment to the level of legit concern about potential "house" policy, and also letting everyone know how petty or backhanded or whatever the "manager" is being; it blows his cover, which may serve to subtly pressure him into knocking that kind of behavior off in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships