Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:18 PM

914 posts, read 738,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
How would an app know you are drunk?
There are a few different apps out there apparently e.g. 'A condom for your phone': New app stops you drunk-calling your ex - Telegraph

They obviously don't know that you are drunk. Most of the apps have "sobriety tests" that you have to pass before you are allowed to send a text.

I haven't tried any of them so not sure how effective they are. I'm voting for Ocltist to give them a try and to report back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 12:41 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
There are a few different apps out there apparently e.g. 'A condom for your phone': New app stops you drunk-calling your ex - Telegraph

They obviously don't know that you are drunk. Most of the apps have "sobriety tests" that you have to pass before you are allowed to send a text.

I haven't tried any of them so not sure how effective they are. I'm voting for Ocltist to give them a try and to report back
They have breathalyzers for your iPhones...it should be also linked to calling and texting. That would be brilliant.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:39 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Nope, can't say I've had that problem! Might want to watch your drinking!

Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,005,662 times
Can't say that I've partaken, but I have been on the receiving end of such from unknown parties. Every time my cell # changes, I get almost a year of wrong person phone calls & texts.

A few years ago, I got a text that said something like, "If I ever hear from you again, I'll report you for harassment, take all your emails, voice mails & texts & fly into your city/state to hand them over to the police personally." There were many long texts, sometimes 9/day & obviously between former bf-gf.

On day 3, I finally texted back that my name was Tom (I thought if he felt he was texting a dude, he'd stop faster), this was my new cell # & whomever Mr. Wonderful thought he was texting, well, it was someone else... & to kindly remove my # from his cell & stop scaring the emoticons out of me.

He just texted back, "Sorry, sometimes I drink too much". Yeah... apparently, all day for 3-day benders.

To the OP... Just like parents place the cookie jar on the top shelf out of kid's reach, if you're gonna imbibe, before you open your first bottle, take the battery out of the phone & leave it in your car.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Yeah. Don't do it.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Can't say that I've partaken, but I have been on the receiving end of such from unknown parties. Every time my cell # changes, I get almost a year of wrong person phone calls & texts.

A few years ago, I got a text that said something like, "If I ever hear from you again, I'll report you for harassment, take all your emails, voice mails & texts & fly into your city/state to hand them over to the police personally." There were many long texts, sometimes 9/day & obviously between former bf-gf.

On day 3, I finally texted back that my name was Tom (I thought if he felt he was texting a dude, he'd stop faster), this was my new cell # & whomever Mr. Wonderful thought he was texting, well, it was someone else... & to kindly remove my # from his cell & stop scaring the emoticons out of me.

He just texted back, "Sorry, sometimes I drink too much". Yeah... apparently, all day for 3-day benders.

To the OP... Just like parents place the cookie jar on the top shelf out of kid's reach, if you're gonna imbibe, before you open your first bottle, take the battery out of the phone & leave it in your car.
I got the funniest one! It was from a young man in his freshman year in college and he texted me like "yo cutie, whats up?". I thought it was funny (knowing it wasn't meant for me) so I texted back "oh just putting the kids to bed, waiting for my husband to come home".

We ended up in a long texting convo, took him forever to accept I wasn't the girl he thought I was and that she had given him the wrong number. By the end I was feeling kind of bad for the kid. He had clearly been drinking but wouldn't admit it because he was underage.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:55 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post

There are also apps out there that let you recall before it is truly "sent"

Old 12-31-2016, 04:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Nope. Lucky enough to have never done drunk text or call.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:26 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Put the phone on airplane mode so you cant transmit. Easy. Texts don't go anywhere.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:01 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocltist View Post
I pick up drinking, and then I would send drunken text messages. I am regretting this because I am too emotional/stuck the past, none of the people are bothered by it *because it's not that serious or a good thing* but I am regretting this a lot right now.

Have you ever been in that situation? Thanks
You sure you weren't drunk when you wrote this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships