Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 02:38 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I've seen this exact phenomenon myself. My ex SIL had one child, the most spoiled little boy anyone could ever meet. The only thing he would eat for dinner is McDonalds Chicken McNuggets. My ex's large Hispanic family made a big production out of every dinner, yet they catered to this child every single day.

On her way home from work, Mom would make a pit stop at Mickey D's for those repulsive Chicken McNuggets, and he would eat those while everyone else ate what my MIL cooked. I never knew him to eat anything else for dinner the entire time we were married.
Yep. My BIL brings boxed mac n cheese for holidays. Makes it for himself. And then takes his finger and cleans the pot to get all that disgusting cheese packet cheese. This year was the last straw. No more.

(He's THIRTY_TWO YEARS OLD!!!!). Good gawd.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I stopped and had to post at this. This is SO ignorant. No, some people CANNOT put aside dietary restrictions. I have Celiac Disease and a severe cow's milk allergy. If I was to "be polite and partake" for one night, I open myself up to many serious health issues. Personally, I do however make this known to new people in my life (people who are close to me know, expect me to have already eaten OR bring my own food OR they are kind enough to have food for me, although I NEVER expect that.)

Additionally--and I apologize if there was more, I do plan to finish reading this post--SOUP (as delicious as it can be) does not make a dinner party. At all.
But the restriction can be communicated to the hostess so she can cook a meal that ALL guests can eat instead of preparing food some/none will eat and be out the expense.

This guest was rude. She should've talked to the hostess.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
i picked up a bucket of kfc once- we had work party at a boss's place and his wife was a vegan

she worked hard all day trying to get many dishes buffet style..

i brought the bucket in with me and set it on the buffet,,,the other guests thanked me,,,,
the hostess wasnt impressed- i wouldnt do that today .... id keep the bucket in the car and eat before going in

Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Has anyone ever invited family over dinner and they brought their own food? They weren't asked in advance either.

I had never had this happen to me and I'd never think of doing it either. I make some wonderful soup (broth based such as Chicken noodle, minestrone for example). However for this particular dish, a cream based soup is needed because it was placed in sourdough bread bowls and it would not absorb the all the broth. We served Clam Chowder and Tomato Bisque Soup in Bread Bowls which is traditionally served in bread bowls.

I was insulted when they walked in with their pot of soup...Then my spouse chose to eat theirs too!

It was funny when I looked over and ALL the water was absorbed in the bowl and all that was left was carrots, potatoes, and chicken chunks..

I would encourage people not to do this. It's very insulting to the host or hostess.

I LOVE clam chowder in bread bowls!! Wish I was there at your party!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Were the bread bowl soups the only offerings you had for your guests?

I do agree that it's rude to bring food without consulting with the host/ess. More than likely, they've put effort into selecting a menu meant to complement and balance.

That said, if I knew that I were going to a party where the only offerings were a clam chowder and a tomato bisque in bread bowls, I'd be put in a very awkward situation. I don't eat clam chowder and I can't have the bread bowls. I would probably have some tomato bisque to be polite, but it wouldn't be my first choice, and a meal with no protein would leave me very unsatisfied. So either I would have to eat beforehand, or I would have to shorten my stay and leave to go eat something else. If they were aware of the menu, I can understand why they would feel driven to bring some additional food, though I question bringing a third soup.

Ditto for me - I would have turned down the invitation if there was only soup in bread bowls for dinner. I have hypoglycemia and need some protein at every meal.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:34 PM

70 posts, read 98,703 times
I'm curious why the OP was ok with the couple bringing apple pie and ice cream, but furious that they brought soup. If you asked them to bring dessert, or when they asked what they could bring you responded "dessert," then I could see why they wouldn't think twice about also bringing soup. I would see it as we're all contributing to the meal.

If you asked them not to bring anything, I still don't understand why you were ok with the apple pie. It does make it seem like you are more upset that your husband ate more of their soup than yours.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Ditto for me - I would have turned down the invitation if there was only soup in bread bowls for dinner. I have hypoglycemia and need some protein at every meal.
In other words...

"Hi. We're throwing a dinner party and would be honored if you joined us."

"Depends. What are you having?"

"Soup. A chowder."

"Meh. Forget it."

Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 PM

314 posts, read 237,368 times
I would not be offended if someone brought extra food over to a dinner party, heck id welcome it! Usually I over do it on the food myself, but if someone brings a side or whatnot, I would take out a dish, ( if it was in a Tupperware container) and put it out with everything else. I cant see this as anything to be mad at.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i picked up a bucket of kfc once- we had work party at a boss's place and his wife was a vegan

she worked hard all day trying to get many dishes buffet style..

i brought the bucket in with me and set it on the buffet,,,the other guests thanked me,,,,
the hostess wasnt impressed- i wouldnt do that today .... id keep the bucket in the car and eat before going in
Wow, did you get any raises after that??

Old 01-09-2017, 04:41 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Wow, did you get any raises after that??
Love this! You only did what many have fantasies about and are too PC to indulge and want to keep their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships