Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times

Advertisements

"No, and please don't ask me again."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 12:27 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
This won't end well no matter how nice you are.

I would go to Human Resources and tell them what is going on! She is exploiting her employer's resources (the workers, work time, etc) to push a side business. They can't possibly approve of that, and if they do they are stupid.

I would talk to HR because it's only going to get worse. These people are the worst to deal with. She will keep pressuring you and then when she realizes it's fruitless, she will decide that she hates you and you are evil. HR needs to have a little chat with her. You can also save any emails or texts that she sends you as proof that she is pestering you.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Life insurance is not a pyramid scheme.

That said, you are under no obligation to speak with her about either of those things. Simply say, "I'm sorry, but unless you tell me what it is that you want to discuss, I don't wish to meet with you." Period. End of sentence. If she continues to hound you about it, you may need to complain to her supervisor.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Sorry, but I am not interested. And leave it at that. She is skating a thin line fishing for clients at her place of employment. If she persists after you tell her you are not interested, tell her the next time she contacts you it will be reported to management.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:18 PM

359 posts, read 320,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Do the asterisks in your post mean something? I kept looking for a footnote of some sort.

Same here!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
2 months ago one of colleages that I'm cool with* as in cordial and civil but not friends outside work ,approached* me and asked when I'm free.I said I wasn't sure and asked why she was asking..she said,she needs help with something that she is starting but she doesn't want to discuss it in a workplace. Then she handed me her phone*and asked me to put my number in.*I asked what it is and she says,if she tells me now it won't be exting but it's nothing bad.I said ok.She contacted me a week later wanting to know when I'm free to set a time and place to meet.I asked her again if she is selling something to which she denied.

I then said*my schedule is very tight and so we don't waste each other's time, she needs to give me at least an idea of what it is about. Or she can*tell me on*the phone to discuss whatever it is. That way it is easy for me*to end the conversation if I'm not* interested.She says,she has to show me in person if she tells me it won't make any sense and to let her know when I'm free. I never followed up. I later found out from another co worker that I'm friends with outside work that she*tried selling her life insurance to her*but asked me not to let this co-worker in question that I found out from her

I ran into her at work 2 weeks later.I'm part time so I don't see this co-worker often since we work different floors.The first thing she said was,oh you dump me huh?I asked her what she meant then she says she tried texting me asking when I'm free but I never replied to her .I informed her that I had forgotten my phone at my college(which was true) and apparently the teacher found it and kept to give it to me on our next class. I never follow up with her once I retrieved my phone.

I subsequently changed my number for unrelated reasons and forgot about the whole thing. However, yesterday we were scheduled to work the same floor and she was like "so you don't return my text these days eh ?"I texted you few days ago but you ignored me "I then said I can't commit to meet up with you if you won't tell me what it is .Then she says,I *only need 10 minutes of your time, I'm not going to discuss this in a work place.

I wasn't aware that she tried contacting me again since I changed my number. By the end of the shift she asked me again 3 times when I'm free again.

I know at this point I have to be direct with her since she keeps ignoring my soft No's.Now I'm forced to tell her to back off.How can I word this without causing tension at work?
That's one of the hardest sales pitches I've heard of in a while, by someone a person knows.

It takes a certain kind of person and personality to pull this on someone, particularly a coworker. IMO, there is no way to say "stay away" that will not get her ticked off. None. So you may as well just be polite but direct. Then ignore any of her responses. She will probably either continue with her hard sell, or will be rude to you.

"I'm sorry, but I'm just not interested. I'm not going to do it." And leave it at that.

I had a coworker invite me to a get together at her house once. It turned out to be an Amway pyramid scheme recruitment party. I was hurt that THIS was why she invited me to a party, and I was LIVID that she wasted my time on that crappola, and I PITIED her for being so stupid as to fall for that scheme. I ate a few hors d'oerves, had a beverage, then got the hades out of Dodge (after I politely listened to the presentation). This man came in, dressed to the nines in expensive clothing, having arrived in a Rolls Royce, to give a presentation to us, a few low-wage earners. The idea was for us to think that WE would be driving Rolls Royces soon, if we agreed to be Amway reps. Ha!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:24 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Pyramid schemes are illegal. That's all you need to know and tell her that you have no interest. If she doesn't like it, tough.
No, they're not illegal. They have to be handled a certain way, but as a broad class, they're not illegal.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:27 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It takes a certain kind of person and personality to pull this on someone, particularly a coworker.
Oh hell, yes, it takes some nerve to pull this crap on a co-worker. That's for sure.

If I were the employer, I'd want to know this was going on in my workplace and I'd want to put an end to it ASAP.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Life insurance is not a pyramid scheme.

That said, you are under no obligation to speak with her about either of those things. Simply say, "I'm sorry, but unless you tell me what it is that you want to discuss, I don't wish to meet with you." Period.

This!
And I'd add "if you're selling something, don't waste either of our time as that's not going to happen".

If someone's trying to sell you anything you don't need to explain to them why you aren't going to buy it.

Just say no.

If they respect you they'll back off.
If they don't respect you they'll argue with you and at that point.. what would you care if you hurt their feelings or not?

Old 01-26-2017, 01:34 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This!
And I'd add "if you're selling something, don't waste either of our time as that's not going to happen".
I'm not even sure I would add that. Some people take that as a challenge.

Just stick with "No, I'm not interested."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships