Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 04:23 PM

720 posts, read 500,735 times

Advertisements

What are some tips on being an adult that you think everyone should know? Every day I walk around wondering why adults act so childish. It's like nobody ever explained these things and they should've learned them by now. I'm defining adult as twenty-five and older. Here's my list:

1. Speak up when talking to people. You don't have to scream at the top of your lungs, but I have little patience for adults who mumble...especially men. It makes you sound timid or passive-aggressive if you have a tendency to talk under your breath. So speak up!

2. Make sure you're not in the way.
This comes down to having an awareness of your surroundings. If you're standing on the sidewalk, or in a hallway, make sure you realize that and position yourself accordingly.

3. Be mindful of your kids and dogs. Just because you love them and think everything they do is cute and funny...doesn't mean everyone is going to feel the same way. When your child is in public, don't let them just stand around making noises and knocking on random things and running around. You'd get defensive if someone said something to them, so you need to make sure you keep them in line. With pets, if you keep your dog on a long leash, be mindful of their tendency to sniff and bark. Dogs are great, but not everyone feels that way. Keep them on a leash, and make sure they're secure, at home and in public. If that's too tall an order, don't have one (a kid or a dog).

4. Don't leave gaps when you're in a line or in traffic. I know why you do it: you want to leave room in case someone needs to cross in front of you or in the case of traffic, get over into your lane. Also, you may be trying to do it out of courtesy for the person in front of you. But see, the problem is, the space you're leaving in front of you is causing everyone behind you to huddle up on top of each other. There's only so much space. If you're in line during the lunch time rush, most people aren't going to take it personally if you stand directly behind them. It's busy and it's a line. Position yourself to make room for someone as necessary, but generally speaking, when you're a queue, act like it. No line lasts forever.

5. Learn to read thoroughly and write in complete, grammatically correct sentences.
You don't have to be college-educated or use big words all the time, but knowing how to use your primary language is essential when you become an adult. Being literate gives you more power and confidence than you may think. Use spell-check and visit some grammar sites when you have nothing better to do and learn how to write. It helps you communicate your ideas better and people take you seriously when they see you know how to write. Also:

6. Do not conduct business via text message. I know texting is a part of our everyday life at this point -- that might explain the lack of literacy in our society -- but it has its intended purpose. Meeting up with friends? Picking up some stuff from the grocery store? What time is the game coming on? Cool. But if you're doing business, and by business I mean anything that involves money and/or property being exchanged, text messaging is not sufficient. Use a form or contract to lay out any terms and agreements, and e-mail to establish and keep contact.

7. Have money and keep track of it. All this tip means is, have money for the things you want/need to do, and if you're paying for something -- rent, bills, expensive purchases, etc -- have a record of what you spent and who received the payment. Don't constantly beg and borrow off your friends and family. I know a lot of people do a lot of paying-in-cash, but that's not wise. You need a paper trail; something accessible should you have to verify payment. That's why it's a good idea to one of those checking accounts everyone's talking about.

8. Know how things work.Moderator cut: delete know how to do stuff and how things work. Don't rely on other people to explain things to do you. Know how to handle things yourself. How to drive, how to use a map (or the appropriate app on your phone), how to handle a flat tire, who to call if something breaks in your home, etc. This sometimes comes down to spending money the right way. Get a home warranty, renter's insurance (if applicable), pay for roadside assistance (i.e. AAA), and look into an extended car warranty if necessary. But be able to take care of yourself.

9. Learn how to cook. You don't have to be Bobby Flay, but please learn how to cook for yourself. It'll save you money and you'll learn how to follow instructions and pay attention to detail. Just think of three things you love and learn to make it at home. Then expand. But there's no reason not to know how to cook, especially once you have a spouse and/or kids.

10. Take care of yourself. This includes going to the doctor if you're sick, and staying home if you're coughing and sneezing. It's not cute or commendable to go to work or school sick because here's the secret about germs: they spread. I'm not saying take a sick-day for every minor ache and pain, but spare me your germs, Sicky. And go to the doctor you big baby.

Please add to this list.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-10-2017 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: most likelly will cause a fight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 04:31 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Here's one: learn when to keep your mouth shut, keep your opinion to yourself and myob. Unless some explicitly asks you, no one cares or wants to hear what you think of them, their choices, their finances, their parenting, or anything else. Change and control yourself, not other people. Show respect and be polite even if you disagree with someone or dislike them, don't stoop to their level. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Basic human decency.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:49 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
4. Don't leave gaps when you're in a line or in traffic. I know why you do it: you want to leave room in case someone needs to cross in front of you or in the case of traffic, get over into your lane. Also, you may be trying to do it out of courtesy for the person in front of you. But see, the problem is, the space you're leaving in front of you is causing everyone behind you to huddle up on top of each other. There's only so much space. I
Sorry, I disagree with this one. I always leave space in front of my car when in traffic. I need to allow room to stop if the car in front of me slams on their brakes. I also need to have room to react if someone rear-ends me, so that I don't hit the car in front of me.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,490 times
#11. Stop telling people what to do and insulting them with made up lists.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
If you stand close behind me in a line, I will turn around and look right into your face, which will be about 1" away. This should make you feel awkward enough to rethink standing really close behind me.

So, my adult rule would be, "Be mindful of personal space."

Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
Say what you mean and mean what you say. Speak with integrity. Always hold yourself to a high standard. Go to great lengths to never embarrass yourself. Always be polite. Say you're sorry to someone when you've hurt them or messed up something and mean it. (It's basic to apologize to someone especially when a situation clearly warrants an apology.) Be accountable for your actions. Learn how to "read between the lines" in life. Always trust your instincts. Complain as little as possible. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Be positive

Old 02-05-2017, 10:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Learn how to balance your bank accounts.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
What are some tips on being an adult that you think everyone should know? Every day I walk around wondering why adults act so childish. It's like nobody ever explained these things and they should've learned them by now. I'm defining adult as twenty-five and older. Here's my list:

1. Speak up when talking to people. You don't have to scream at the top of your lungs, but I have little patience for adults who mumble...especially men. It makes you sound timid or passive-aggressive if you have a tendency to talk under your breath. So speak up!

2. Make sure you're not in the way.
This comes down to having an awareness of your surroundings. If you're standing on the sidewalk, or in a hallway, make sure you realize that and position yourself accordingly.

3. Be mindful of your kids and dogs. Just because you love them and think everything they do is cute and funny...doesn't mean everyone is going to feel the same way. When your child is in public, don't let them just stand around making noises and knocking on random things and running around. You'd get defensive if someone said something to them, so you need to make sure you keep them in line. With pets, if you keep your dog on a long leash, be mindful of their tendency to sniff and bark. Dogs are great, but not everyone feels that way. Keep them on a leash, and make sure they're secure, at home and in public. If that's too tall an order, don't have one (a kid or a dog).

4. Don't leave gaps when you're in a line or in traffic. I know why you do it: you want to leave room in case someone needs to cross in front of you or in the case of traffic, get over into your lane. Also, you may be trying to do it out of courtesy for the person in front of you. But see, the problem is, the space you're leaving in front of you is causing everyone behind you to huddle up on top of each other. There's only so much space. If you're in line during the lunch time rush, most people aren't going to take it personally if you stand directly behind them. It's busy and it's a line. Position yourself to make room for someone as necessary, but generally speaking, when you're a queue, act like it. No line lasts forever.

5. Learn to read thoroughly and write in complete, grammatically correct sentences.
You don't have to be college-educated or use big words all the time, but knowing how to use your primary language is essential when you become an adult. Being literate gives you more power and confidence than you may think. Use spell-check and visit some grammar sites when you have nothing better to do and learn how to write. It helps you communicate your ideas better and people take you seriously when they see you know how to write. Also:

6. Do not conduct business via text message. I know texting is a part of our everyday life at this point -- that might explain the lack of literacy in our society -- but it has its intended purpose. Meeting up with friends? Picking up some stuff from the grocery store? What time is the game coming on? Cool. But if you're doing business, and by business I mean anything that involves money and/or property being exchanged, text messaging is not sufficient. Use a form or contract to lay out any terms and agreements, and e-mail to establish and keep contact.

7. Have money and keep track of it. All this tip means is, have money for the things you want/need to do, and if you're paying for something -- rent, bills, expensive purchases, etc -- have a record of what you spent and who received the payment. Don't constantly beg and borrow off your friends and family. I know a lot of people do a lot of paying-in-cash, but that's not wise. You need a paper trail; something accessible should you have to verify payment. That's why it's a good idea to one of those checking accounts everyone's talking about.

8. Know how things work. I'm moreso directing this at the ladies, because I think you guys are sometimes a bit more susceptible to helplessness than men. But ultimately, this pertains to everyone: know how to do stuff and how things work. Don't rely on other people to explain things to do you. Know how to handle things yourself. How to drive, how to use a map (or the appropriate app on your phone), how to handle a flat tire, who to call if something breaks in your home, etc. This sometimes comes down to spending money the right way. Get a home warranty, renter's insurance (if applicable), pay for roadside assistance (i.e. AAA), and look into an extended car warranty if necessary. But be able to take care of yourself.

9. Learn how to cook. You don't have to be Bobby Flay, but please learn how to cook for yourself. It'll save you money and you'll learn how to follow instructions and pay attention to detail. Just think of three things you love and learn to make it at home. Then expand. But there's no reason not to know how to cook, especially once you have a spouse and/or kids.

10. Take care of yourself. This includes going to the doctor if you're sick, and staying home if you're coughing and sneezing. It's not cute or commendable to go to work or school sick because here's the secret about germs: they spread. I'm not saying take a sick-day for every minor ache and pain, but spare me your germs, Sicky. And go to the doctor you big baby.

Please add to this list.
I don't know how old you are, but for me part of maturity has been not looking down on people unless they directly do something to undermine me.

#1) I know people/guys who are really timid. I know guys who are 40+ year old virgins and nice enough guys. Why on Earth would you look down on them? Just let them be.

#5) There's lots of people who were not born in this country or didn't have the benefit of a good upbringing. Don't judge people.

Part of being a GOOD adult in my eyes is letting people be themselves. If you want to be an ambitious and successful person, and be a great public speaker, and make sure you follow all the social rules, and marry a man who is assertive and masculine and is a great cook, fine.

But there's no reason to judge others.

Case in point. Ten years ago I'd probably post something about how guys who live with their parents at age 37 are losers and not adults. How the f@ck is that any of my business? That to me is what being an adult is about...

Last edited by jobaba; 02-05-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 08:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
The OP's comments were pretty good. I notice that elders (of which I am one) often do not hear very well, and they can be guilty of blocking foot traffic in the aisles of stores. I think they do not hear other people behind them.

I would suggest that all adults need to take responsibility for cleaning themselves and their living areas up. Dishes need to be done regularly and personal cleanliness needs to be practiced all the time.

Also, adults need to know how to do their laundry and how to make their beds. And they need to know how to run a vacuum and dust, as well.

And, I think adults also need to know how to hold up their end of a conversation, or not to interrupt others in a conversation. And, adults also need to speak courteously to others, whether they are their peers or older.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 PM

296 posts, read 413,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Sorry, I disagree with this one. I always leave space in front of my car when in traffic. I need to allow room to stop if the car in front of me slams on their brakes. I also need to have room to react if someone rear-ends me, so that I don't hit the car in front of me.
If someone is standing in line and leaves 8 or 10 feet ahead of them, it annoys me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships